Secrets?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Re: Secrets?

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I would not tell my loved ones. I don't want them to look at me any differently than they already do, and if it turns out someone decides to spread the word about me, then I've got to lie about what that power is. I don't want to be bothered; I just want to be left alone, to read and write books, all the while indulge in my dark fantasies. I don't want to be badgered with questions and whatnot either; in other words, you have to be really special for me to tell you anything.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

If I has a superpower I'd choose not to tell anyone. I wouldn't even tell friends or family. I fear that telling others would jeopardize their lives in some way. The idea of having superhuman abilities sounds like it'd be a burden and an unwanted responsibility.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I would definitely tell the people closest to me. If they're that close to me, I could definitely trust them with something like that. The needless withholding of secrets is a HUGE pet-peeve of mine in stories. I feel like it's usually just a lazy way to create more drama.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Post by Acwoolet »

I would definitely tell my husband and maybe my mom because I typically tell her everything. Depending on what the super power was, I might tell other people.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I would not tell my loved ones. I love them to death and back, but they would probably not be able to keep the secret a secret!
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Depending on the superpower, I'd probably tell my husband, but not everyone else. For example if I have a superpower of reading minds, I'd lose all my friends if they'd suddenly know that I could read theirs (think of Sookie in True Blood). Or if I had a healing power, some might consider me - even today - a witch worth of burning on the stake, etc...I guess it depends on the superpower I'd be getting.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

It is very difficult for me to keep secrets. So , I would tell it to my loved ones so that there is someone to support me.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

That would depend. I might tell only the people I really trust. The problem superheroes have is that people get jealous of their abilities. Superheroes have enemies and usually they keep their abilities and identity hidden to protect their loved ones.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

Jaime Lync wrote:It's great that you do not keep secrets from your husband. I think relationships need to be build on trust. I think my parents underreact to large events and surprises because they often overreact to simple things.
That's true. People in a relationship should be open to each other. That's the only to build trust and a solid relationship.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

I would tell my loved ones but maybe not my mom. she worries too much.
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

The secret you share is the weapon someone can use against you. But if you keep those from your loved ones, you can be misunderstood. It would be a hard decision for me, however if you don't share yourself to the world, you'll stay in the shadows of it, never appreciated or acknowledged.
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

I would probably tell my spouse, but I don't think I would tell anyone else. I would tell my spouse because I literally tell him everything and don't think that even if I decided I didn't want to tell him that I could keep it a secret from him, but mostly because I love to share moments with him, big or small, and do what if scenarios. It would definitely be an interesting topic to discuss if I woke up with superpowers as far as what I would do with them as well as working out what I can actually do. It's nice to experience things with at least one other person to share the experience with in my opinion.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This is a very interesting issue raised by "Superhighway"! If I found I had a superpower, I reckon I'd probably keep it to myself, so that no one else could try to test it unfairly or abuse my abilities.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
jummy7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jummy7 »

secrets remains secrets
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

I would. Although it might take a while to tell allow them. Probably because it is such a huge thing that you need to tell them. Otherwise you are keeping a part of yourself locked away and it would not be fair to you

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”