Secrets?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Secrets?

Post by kfwilson6 » 12 Mar 2018, 10:10

I would probably only tell my husband (we don't have any children). It depends on what type of ability and whether or not it would be coveted by others. With any "superhuman" type of ability, there will always be those out there who want to use the ability for their own gain/benefit. This could easily put someone with a rare talent in harm's way. I have noticed that people are not good at keeping secrets, even if it is their intention. I would keep it to myself for the most part to protect myself and my family and friends. We saw what happened to Alex's date as a result of his actions.

mamalui
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: Devilish by Tricia Barr
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui » 19 Mar 2018, 08:12

I would keep quiet to avoid all the negatives that come with having a superpower. And in order to spare my family the mixed emotions that come with it.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.

VictoriaMcMillen
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen » 21 Mar 2018, 15:41

I would most definitely have to tell someone, but therein lies the question, who would believe you. You would have to be very careful and I do not think your first-love would be a good person to confide in.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

VictoriaMcMillen
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 146
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriamcmillen.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Soldier by Adriene Odom

Post by VictoriaMcMillen » 08 Apr 2018, 12:48

I would confide in a few people perhaps, but I would not go around telling everyone! That would be dangerous and annoying having too many people knowing and expecting you to do things.
~Victoria M.L. McMillen

"You can, you should, and if you are brave enough to start, you will." Stephen King

Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 76
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Islands of Faith - New Zealand by Randall R. and Linda Lee Ripplinger

Post by Jgideon » 17 Jun 2018, 06:37

jemgirl202 wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 23:57
Oh man, my husband would be so excited if I had a superpower. I do not keep secrets from him...except for where the cookies are hidden ;)

I probably wouldn't tell my parents though, they have a tendency to over react to large events or surprises!
I love your honesty and attitude. Unlike you, my parents would really like it if I had some superpower. I would absolutely let them know about it.

holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 323
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: A Little Lost A Little Found by HM Irwing
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 18 Jun 2018, 00:43

Jaime Lync wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 20:08
In Superhighway, Alex has to struggle between telling his girlfriend that he has a superpower or keeping her in the dark. If you woke up with an awesome superpower that you could keep secret, would you tell your love ones? Why or why not?
I don't think I would tell anyone. Too often, people fear what they don't understand. Plus I'd be afraid that my loved ones would be subjected to something awful.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by chupke07 » 25 Jun 2018, 06:32

I think once I realized it was legitimate I would tell my husband.

Storm+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Storm+ » 27 Jun 2018, 18:58

If I suddenly woke up with this ability or an ability like it, I would tell both my significant other and my best friend. I would not, however, tell everyone, especially if it might put me in danger at some point. I would do whatever I needed to do to keep myself and my loved ones safe, yes, but I don't think the way to do that would be to keep them in the dark. Not knowing about an issue does not make it less of an issue.

mac83
Currently Reading: Betrayal in Blue
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel by Nancy Farkas

Post by mac83 » 20 Sep 2018, 10:14

If it would put them at risk for knowing, I wouldn't tell my loved ones. If there was no risk to them, I would want to share with a select few. I wouldn't want everyone to know what I could do as some would want to use me for their benefit.
Mac :techie-reference:

jjmainor
Currently Reading: Bug Hunt
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by jjmainor » 03 Oct 2018, 23:31

Jaime Lync wrote:
01 Jun 2017, 20:08
In Superhighway, Alex has to struggle between telling his girlfriend that he has a superpower or keeping her in the dark. If you woke up with an awesome superpower that you could keep secret, would you tell your love ones? Why or why not?
I know being a teenager, Alex wouldn't think this deeply about it, but where she's only a girlfriend, I don't see why he should tell her. It's too likely (in real life at least) that they're going to break up. When they do, that secret is something she has to hold over him, especially if he confessed to her about stealing billions of dollars. It's something he shouldn't even consider divulging until they're more serious about the relationship.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”