Computer Stories

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Re: Computer Stories

Post by Lest92 »

The first computer I remember was our old family desktop (it was old back in the late 90s too). It looked like a box, was dreadfully slow, but that's where I first appreciated fonts and graphics. I used to type my little fingers to the bone on that thing, and we played simple but entertaining games on it. I think we only retired that thing ten years ago when it just would not wake up and stay awake anymore. That's about the time I first surfed on the internet at my dad's office and it seemed like a paradise of images, music, and things to read about.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Jaime Lync wrote:I remember we had a desktop when we were younger and we didn't have any internet so we were just content to play feeding frenzy, pinball and solitaire. I always hoped that the internet would magically come without us having to pay for it. And when it did come (of course we paid for it) it was just a means to get more games to play.
The first use of the computer to me was it serves as a monitor for our games. I was a big fan of Plants versus Zombies. Sometimes, I had to beg my mom to allow me to play another extension of 30 minutes.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

My school got it's first computer when I was a senior in high school. I remember getting it to add 1+1.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I remember typing a report on an old typewriter because we didn't have a computer right away. I would say, it was high school when we first got a computer. Once we had one, I used it a lot - mainly for chatting on AIM!! :lol:
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Today's kids may not even know what a typewriter looks like! I can recall the torture of typing term papers with all those horrible footnotes. Frustration guaranteed!
wabwire mark olayo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wabwire mark olayo »

computer has made life simple and convenient because the world has been reduced to a small village where people can converse and sometimes interact psychologically and share ideas across the world
Ljessup
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ljessup.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Ljessup »

My father loved computers and rebuilt them when I was a kid. I loved picking out colors that would be inside and visible. I remember doing the typing programs to better my typing skills and getting so frustrated when I would mess up. There were actually two jobs where I had to do a typing test so I did use that training.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

I have to be honest - computers still scare me...! I've become used to my laptop, tablet and iPhone, but I won't touch anyone else's devices because I'm afraid I'll mess them up. I still get the willies when I have to install a program or something like that...LOL

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Off course, I have a computer story to tell. In my childhood, computers were super expensive. Getting a chance to see the monitor was like going to Mars and sure we kids were cautioned not to touch the screen. We were told that images would no longer appear on it if we did and sure we believed it.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I remember my first computer, it was a Commodore 64 (yeah I'm that old). Loved it! I've learned on it to program in Basic (that ancient programming language). For some reason I took to computers like fish to the water. Every 2-3 years I would get a new one simply because I have to have the fastest running one.
charly nestor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by charly nestor »

How aching handling working with computer and comping with power failures. I used to get annoyed with slow internet connection, short lasting batteries, and storage. Today with 4G, cloud computing, and long lasting batteries, my children will never get as annoyed as i used to be with computing
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Indeed, the wonders of technology!
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I didn't know the existence of computers until I was an adolescent. At the beginning, I didn't pay much attention to the computers because I only used them for assignments in excel (accounting). I didn't hate them but I didn't particularly care for them. It was until my English teacher taught me about the world of internet that I started loving computers, a spellbinding world door was opened in front of me.
David_92
Currently Reading: Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-92.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by David_92 »

Coming from Africa my computer story has been reminiscent of the rich , the pomp, the blessed , the educated and those who work with the secret service . Computers are rare in my place and were still rare then.
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Oh the dial-up tune is forever ingrained on my brain. You just had to sit there for 15 minutes twiddling your thumbs and praying to internet gods that connection was finally established. It usually was slower that dead snail and you downloaded one picture again for 15 minutes or more and well if you wanted to print one out, it was guaranteed cruel entertainment for at least an hour.

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”