Do You Like the Sci-fi/ Fantasy Genre?

Discuss the June 2017 Book of the Month, Superhighway by Alex Fayman. Superhighway is the first book in the Superhighway Trilogy, so feel free to use this forum to discuss not only the first book but also the other books in the series.

View Superhighway on Bookshelves
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: Do You Like the Sci-fi/ Fantasy Genre?

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I highly enjoy sci-fi and fantasy. I love it when an author can create something surreal and incredible while grounding the story (not always but often) with contemporary ideas, topics and questions. It creates a commentary on the everyday world while also taking you away from the everyday world, in my opinion. :)
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
DesireeRose
Currently Reading: The Blood of Winter
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desireerose.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by DesireeRose »

I really like fantasy, but I am a little tired of science fiction. I just find the themes kind of uninteresting. But with fantasy, there is always something new and magical to explore in the worlds.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Scifi and fantasy are my favorite genres. I'm drawn to the magic (or technology) and the sense of being somewhere other than Earth, even if it's a book that takes place on Earth. I find the more I read, though, the more I search for different concepts. There are tropes I get tired of (like the chosen one or evil aliens attacking Earth). On the flip side, there are things I'll automaticly pick up (superheroes and fairytale retellings). If I got the chance to drop iinto a fantasy world, I'd try it, no questions.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

That said, if I come across a non-sf/f book that looks interesting, I'll grab it. I'm an equal opportunity reader as long as the story interests me.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Helpme71
Favorite Book: The Cruel Romance
Currently Reading: Last Shot
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helpme71.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Helpme71 »

I love Sci-fi and Fantasy. I always have since I was a child. My first Sci-fi experience was with the Star Wars Original Trilogy. Since then, I have always loved Sci-fi. Fantasy has also been an integral aspect of my childhood, as I was an avid reader and enjoyed books such as Ella Enchanted and The Two Princesses of Bamarre. These two genres help me to really get away from the here and now of my reality by plunging me in a world that is so vastly different on the surface, and yet highlights current issues in a subtle way.
"Education is the most powerful weapon we can use to change the world." -Nelson Mandela

"Ye are our epistle, written in our hearts, known and read of all men;" -2 Corinthians 3:2 (ASV)
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

These have always been my two favorite genres, aside from crime thrillers, although I only like a group of select books of this category. Its appeal has always revolved around the presence of elements or characteristics that are not present in our world, and therefore stimulate our imagination a little bit more than "regular" stories.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I love sci-fi and fantasy genre both in books and movies
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love sci-fi/fantasy. It just takes me to a whole different place. There are no boundaries and I also feel like sci-fi/fantasy deals with a lot of real world issues but in such a way that it's only later that you realize those problems are part of our daily lives. Fantasy changed my perspective on a lot of things that I and a lot of other people see/experience in our daily lives.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
chupke07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chupke07.html
Latest Review: Metaphase by Mitchel Street

Post by chupke07 »

By far this is my favorite genre. I love that you can have almost anything happen and it leaves so much open to the imagination.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I like the science fiction and fantasy genre very much because it has a lot of action, much like action and adventure, but it also contains scientific and contextual justification for the story's events. I love science fiction because there is always a new concept to explore and some new topic to think about. Good science fiction is never a slightly different version of the great stories before it, but something innovative, expanding on a topic rather than just writing it in a different way.
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

I enjoy practical sci-fi novels, ones I can believe in. If a plot is too far fetched I don’t care for them.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I am finding I am liking sci-fi a bit more these days, but my favorite genre is romance. Give me a good romance novel any day and I will enjoy.
Mac :techie-reference:
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Horror used to be my favorite genre, but Science fiction supplanted it some years back. I guess I like the grandiose scale of the space operas. Sometimes I like reading about a universe that's "better" than ours. I always enjoy the characters that overcome surreal odds to survive/save-the-day/etc.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Not usually, it's too out of this world for me!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I do like these genres because it is interesting to see what the authors come up with. Some of their ideas are so out there that I would never have thought of it. I like that even though it's Sci-fi, you can still relate to the characters and their struggles no matter the environment that they're in. It's a great way to explore your imagination while reading someone else's thoughts on different worlds.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D

Return to “Discuss "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman”