Animals vs Humans

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
heavenabovebooks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19097">The Raven Boys</a>
Currently Reading: Blood of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Animals vs Humans

Post by heavenabovebooks »

Many people do not believe that animals are as important as humans (I am not among this many) and this BOTM has made me think about this issue for some reason (my brain is weird okay). I'm wondering what everyone else's opinions are? I know some people don't see an issue with things like animal testing or hunting for sport and I'm wondering why that is. If you're on the other side let me know that too. Also animals often get put down if they kill someone (which can sometimes be understandable if they are consistently dangerous and nothing has been able to help) but some are trained by their owners to kill and are then put down for killing someone. This is kind of a hard issue to compare because what are you going to do kill a gun? But it wasn't the animal's fault if they were trained and commanded to kill by their owner (who sometimes might abuse them as well). Also apparently like a monkey and a dog were sent into space before a robot or something along those lines...? That I really don't get. At least send the robot first!

Anywhoozles feel free to join the conversation... (isn't that the point of forums oh goodness self)
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I believe that we should respect animal life. I think we need to be humane. I do not agree when people train animals to kill. Example, when Michael Vick was fighting pit bulls, I was disgusted. However, I think training dogs is a good thing, not to fight or to kill but to be obedient or protective. My dog is the sweetest dog in the world but if someone walks up to the house, he barks and doesn't stop until I tell him to stop. However, if someone were to break in, he would just bark, he would never attack anyone.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

I dislike things like animal testing and do feel bad for them but it's not gonna stop me from buying meat products and eating it to be honest. There's so many injustices in the world I feel I can't help and even if I protest, the miniscule good I do may not be worth the inconveniences I'd pay in exchange.

If I were super rich, maybe I could do something like only buy from checked humane farms, but that's not very feasible for the average poor guy.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I believe that animals neeed to be treated with respect; however I am also an avid hunter and fisherman. I am disgusted when I see people harvesting animals with no intention to use the meat, using animals as test subjects, or when somone abuses an animal. I also agree that animals need to be properly trained not only for our safety, but also for the safety of themselves.
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I believe that animals should be treated equal to humans and they should be respected. Animals are harmless creatures if given due respect and care.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Animals are equally important as humans because we all have our role in the ecosystem. I highly don't support the use of animals for experiments and though I eat meat, I hope people don't abuse these poor living things.

Although I believe that scientific experiments are helpful in finding solutions to help us in many ways, I believe that using animals contradicts the main goal. What I mean is that if scientists aim to preserve life, then they should not waste other living creature's life. I've even heard that some animals used in experiments are just kept in small cages and are constantly being tested throughout the day. Imprisoning the animal is already bad enough and the prick of needles or inducing of illnesses to them is more torture. Animals should be free just like how people enjoy their freedom.

Now when it comes to the slaughter of animals for meat, I cannot deny that I'm also enjoy barbecue and steak. However, I've recently watched a video against dairy farms where it showed how the cows are being maltreated. Calves are immediately separated from their mother as soon as they're born because the milk is intended for the consumers. Male cows are separated and probably brought to slaughter house immediately since dairy farms don't have a lot of uses for them. Female cows are then artificially inseminated to be pregnant again and to produce more milk. With all the tortures, most cows only live for up to four or five years instead of the 25 normal life expectancy.

Although I cannot fully go away from eating meat, I believe that animals should not be abused. I guess we should consume what is readily available and not force what is not there. And for experiments, if scientists can find a way to cure illnesses, I think they can also find an alternative to animal testing.
Ayisha M Ashruf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-m-ashruf.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ayisha M Ashruf »

I think every life matters, be it animals or humans. I also believe that a lot can be said about someone's personality from their treatment of animals, not just their pets.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by jimthorne2 »

I am a sincere fan of Narnia and the animal wisdom displayed there by Lewis. Who can compare to Aslan?
Jim Thorne
CZCampbell
Currently Reading: Nighthawk: Sons of de Wolfe
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czcampbell.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by CZCampbell »

I am with you - animals always! (Thought the argument that humans are technically animals raises some interesting insights).
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

But, according to the Book, man is not an animal.
Jim Thorne
Vallen Kale
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vallen-kale.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Vallen Kale »

My friend had say to me once (my god, I love her) that it's a shame that the standard that most people have set for animals is measured by how OBEDIENT and INTELLIGENT they are. In other words, people tend to accept the animals that are obedient and intelligent. No more and no less.

I mean if we think about it, I doubt most people will hurt animals if they could speak. It's quite sad, to be honest, that people don't realize the fact that human's blood and animal's blood are the same color.

When I say 'most people' I meant people who are disregarding animals' lives. I use the word 'most' because there are a lot of them out there. It makes me real sad. Anyway, I'm totally with you on supporting and protecting animals.
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

I'm all for supporting and protecting animals because God made them and said they were good.

-- 13 Jul 2017, 09:04 --

Animals are important because they have community and can comfort humans. Humans are important because they have community and can comfort animals. Why is that the case? I think that God made us both with the kind of personalities that can match each other. If men are from Mars, are they dogs? If women are from Venus, are they cats? Just asking.
Jim Thorne
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I personally think that humans are animals too but as history has shown most humans like to place themselves on a pedestal of being the center, above and greater than all else which often leaves a lot of room for abuse & justification of that abuse. Which is quite sad and I don't agree with it- we're all animals just trying to survive and live out our lives on a spinning ball of rock around a gas giant - so yes we (all animals) should be treated with love and respect.
cechappell
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cechappell.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by cechappell »

I think that we should respect all life. Not one life is more important than another, and this would include animals in my opinion. In the end, we are all just animals. We, humans, are part of the food chain. Nothing justifies abusing any lifeform just because we want to figure something out. I think given time we will get away from this practice, and figure out something else that works just as well as it.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
May-an Tinangag

Post by May-an Tinangag »

We should respect both humans and animals because we are all came from our only one Creator. Animals also have a responsibility here on earth so we must also respect them and consider them as our best friend.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”