Live animals at home?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Lyra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyra.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Re: Live animals at home?

Post by Lyra »

Well, I don't have kids yet but I do have animals at home. I have dogs and cats. They are a treat to have because they help me relax, but sometimes they also try my patience because of their antics. I guess I'm learning the value of patience and companionship from them.
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

Got a cute white pekingese dog at home. She's 3 years old; she likes to cuddle and play tag on mornings. We also have a hard time when we let her poop outside and she's also picky on her food. She likes to have a belly rub almost all the time and makes crying sounds when she feel lonely and alone.

Wished that I could add a picture in here :) so I could let you guys see her.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Papercut wrote:Got a cute white pekingese dog at home. She's 3 years old; she likes to cuddle and play tag on mornings. We also have a hard time when we let her poop outside and she's also picky on her food. She likes to have a belly rub almost all the time and makes crying sounds when she feel lonely and alone.

Wished that I could add a picture in here :) so I could let you guys see her.
You can upload her picture to your avatar. Pet pictures I can take, even up close haha. ?
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

I don't really like to keep pets at home especially dogs. But I would like to have a parrot as a pet.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

Growing up we always had dogs, but my brother and I didn't really care for them aside from providing food or water occasionally. They were mostly my dads. Then, one Christmas, my parents got me a fish. I loved this fish! Granted, there were times when I neglected it, and my parents had to clean his tank, but I always fed him and loved him. I think it is important to get your children involved with pets. They do teach valuable life lessons.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

We had goats at home when I was a child. They certainly taught us patience! They were quite annoying at times, they would manage to all escape through a hole in the fencing, then want back in their pasture and not be able to figure out they could get in through the same hole they escaped from. Having animals teaches kids responsibility. You have to feed and care for them. If you neglect to milk a goat or cow, you cause them pain and possibly infection.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

I think that animals at home are great for everyone not just the children. I used to have a cat.
Soumeg
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumeg.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Soumeg »

I would love to have pets at home, especially dogs. It is only because of my partner's dislike to furs in the home that I am unable to do so.
I believe that pets teach us to love, to care and to take responsibility. One can never feel lonely if they have pet (s) at home. Sometimes, they are all one needs to heal from deep sorrow. Pets are wonderful companions in every phase of life.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I've had pets all my life and currently have two hairless dogs. They're funny and entertaining, and really affectionate, so I enjoy their company.

I guess a lesson they have taught me is to stay young no matter how old you get. They're seven years old and they still love to play with toys and they both act so innocent. It's a nice reminder to not be so uptight and stressed and to just be a little more childish and free sometimes.
Nahashonmurray
Currently Reading: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Nahashonmurray »

animals makes life enjoyable and appreciatable, they give one a desire to meet more and more animals. i have a dog called tom and this dog is hilarious.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Yes, we have animals at home. A dog as a friend and many times the security guard. A cat as a sniper to kill the mice, cockroach and catch the frogs. Lesson? A dog reminds me to be watchful. And a cat to be wise, as a cat carefully catches it's prey.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
michiness
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michiness.html
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz

Post by michiness »

I wish we did, but unfortunately our apartment is no-animals-allowed. We do frequently visit friends and family with pets, though, and we live vicariously through them.
Latest Review: "An Unexpected Life" by Victoria Ortiz
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

We had a dog at home, what I love most about it is its companionship.

-- 23 Jul 2017, 14:18 --

We had a dog at home, what I love most about it is its companionship.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Richard Mudd
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-mudd.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Richard Mudd »

As a child I lived with animals in and around the home, dogs and cats in, budgies, rabbits and chickens outside, the last two for the table though. Whilst in the third year of Primary school I finally got a dog that I could call my own, Inky, a mongrel who was my almost constant companion, wherever I went. I was fortunate in that I had more freedom than many of my peers to wander and explore, even though this arose from what others would describe as a poor upbringing, from my perspective it was great. Unfortunately, Inky was a wanderer in his own right and would disappear for a day or two from time to time, I got used to that and didn't worry when he went off for what proved to be the last time, I never saw him again and have no idea what his fate was. To this day, some 65 years later, if I see a dog that resembles him I have to stifle a shout of his name, ridiculous I know, but there it is. Anyway, that was then, after that I never had another dog or pet of any kind, mostly by choice but also circumstances, that eventually changed. My wife and I had a truly difficult time with our second child, a daughter, who caused us endless and profound heartache for several years, in desperation I sought out something, anything that might mitigate our hurt and possibly heal some emotional wounds and I thought of Inky. I'm glad I did. We rescued a beautiful Rottweiler from a centre where her fate was, in time, sure and she (Sheba) has now been with us for the last 9 years, even emigrating from the UK with us. She has been a point of love and affection that all the family has been able to share and a bonding agent between us too. So yes, animals in the home are a very, very good thing in my view.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Richard Mudd wrote:As a child I lived with animals in and around the home, dogs and cats in, budgies, rabbits and chickens outside, the last two for the table though. Whilst in the third year of Primary school I finally got a dog that I could call my own, Inky, a mongrel who was my almost constant companion, wherever I went. I was fortunate in that I had more freedom than many of my peers to wander and explore, even though this arose from what others would describe as a poor upbringing, from my perspective it was great. Unfortunately, Inky was a wanderer in his own right and would disappear for a day or two from time to time, I got used to that and didn't worry when he went off for what proved to be the last time, I never saw him again and have no idea what his fate was. To this day, some 65 years later, if I see a dog that resembles him I have to stifle a shout of his name, ridiculous I know, but there it is. Anyway, that was then, after that I never had another dog or pet of any kind, mostly by choice but also circumstances, that eventually changed. My wife and I had a truly difficult time with our second child, a daughter, who caused us endless and profound heartache for several years, in desperation I sought out something, anything that might mitigate our hurt and possibly heal some emotional wounds and I thought of Inky. I'm glad I did. We rescued a beautiful Rottweiler from a centre where her fate was, in time, sure and she (Sheba) has now been with us for the last 9 years, even emigrating from the UK with us. She has been a point of love and affection that all the family has been able to share and a bonding agent between us too. So yes, animals in the home are a very, very good thing in my view.
Thank you for sharing that very touching story. I hope Sheba will not wander away like Inky.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”