Live animals at home?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Live animals at home?

Post by Manang Muyang »

Farmer Beau's Farm uses animals to teach children valuable life lessons. I believe having real animals at home also gives children the chance to learn needed virtues and skills.

Do you have live animals in the house? What kind? What lessons have you and your children learned from them?

We have dogs and cats at home. As we don't have kids in the house, the animals give the old folks a lot of joy with their antics, especially when they want food or want a good scratch.
Coni
Currently Reading: If I Break
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by Coni »

:lol: We've had quite the variety of animals in the house. One of my children use to foster kittens for the local Humane Society till they were old enough to be adopted which gave her an clearer understanding of what vet techs do. We've had a tiny Nigerian Dwarf kid in the house we fitted with home made diapers because she got ill and was walking around on her knees awhile. Let's see...I've hatched quail eggs for years in late fall and the kids along with the grandkids got to candle the eggs to see how the embryos develop over the weeks. We've had reptiles, so we raised rodents and insects to feed them. The kids learned first hand the circle of life in that respect. At one point I had a trio of Sugar Gliders. Our glider girls had offspring so the kids got to watch those babies grow and learn about the function of the pouch that hid them. I'm sure I'm missing a pet or two along the way. We also have humans best friend, the dogs of course too.

Life with children and pets to me equals an awesome life! We're all animal lovers here, if you couldn't already tell!
Guest028
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Guest028 »

Kathleen Geiger has put into practice her teaching skills beautifully with the aid of her natural surroundings.
The story being plotted in a similar environment where the authors is residing makes the book reading very lively and real.

Farmer Beau's and his wife Bamma discover that their kitten have left except one, kailey who had made friends
with fluffy Sammy Bunny. They seemed to get along very well and bring happiness to the couples. The decision to introduce a different kind of animal in the farm by Farmer Beau's caused much anxiety among the animals. But to their surprise they all seemed to be very happily getting along with each other.

This book definitely conveys a very important social message in a fun loving way. Children of different age groups can learn to adopt the social intricacies.

Animals at home can even help children to learn to have close bonding and be compassionate about each other.
Stuffed animals can only be good for the virtual world of reality.
A must read for the parents who want there children to enjoy growing up and learning skills with fun.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Wow, Coni, you have an amazing array of animals! I can only imagine what a good time your kids and their friends are having.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

We have a dog. I also think that animals at home are good for children.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I have lived with a cat and a dog. I wish that any of my future children are raised with animals, it would teach them unconditional love and responsibility.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I had dogs when I was a child. I think it taught me more about love and responsibility. Good question!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I have a dog at home. No children yet, but animals teach children and people to be nurturing, sensitivity to animals' feelings, and overall how to treat these loving creatures.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't currently have a payday home but I do think that every child should have one. Having a pet teaches one about responsibility and about caring for something outside of yourself. I think many lessons can be learned with an animal around.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

I absolutely have animals. Three dogs and a pig. My nieces and nephews love them. When they come down we teach them how to feed them, such as what they can and can't have and how much. We teach them about their emotions and how to read the animal. They started to want to call them their dog or their pig, so when they come down it's their responsibility to feed, water, walk, clean up and play with them. Last time my oldest niece was down (9) she started telling me facts about huskies. She has a new fact about each type of animal when I talk to her.

I think animals teach children a responsibility that they do not get from chores. My niece was able to get a guinea pig one time after she left our house, because she was able to show her dad how she was able to take care of the pig for a week. She told him everything she researched about guinea pigs and created a schedule and everything.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

We have a cat and unfortunately he is rather aloof and doesn't spend much time with our daughters so I'm not sure what lessons he is teaching them really..... Our oldest would love a dog and I can see her reasoning but we're not ready to add one to our family just at this time.
peace starts with a smile...
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

AlwaysWorthIt, animals do teach us a lot. Kids especially learn responsibility when they have pets to care for.

Snowflake, maybe your cat is teaching them patience and how to reach out?
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Miriam Molina wrote:AlwaysWorthIt, animals do teach us a lot. Kids especially learn responsibility when they have pets to care for.

Snowflake, maybe your cat is teaching them patience and how to reach out?
That's a good point, I'll try working with my oldest daughter from that point of view..... Thanks.
peace starts with a smile...
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

I have a dog which has taught my daughter responsiblity. My dog is 13 years old and needs to be hand fed, carried, and cleaned. My daughter must help. Soon the dog will be teaching her about loss and death.
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Antares wrote:I have a dog which has taught my daughter responsiblity. My dog is 13 years old and needs to be hand fed, carried, and cleaned. My daughter must help. Soon the dog will be teaching her about loss and death.
Aww, that's one hard lesson. But such is the cycle of life.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”