Live animals at home?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Ebe Read
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3364">Good Omens</a>
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebe-read.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Live animals at home?

Post by Ebe Read »

I have two cats, and they are my family, eventhough they are a different species. Each have his and her own personality and I have found that the way you treat them is what they will be, (exactly the same result as with the treatment of humans). Ultimately, I think this proves that the way we view and treat life and lifeforms around us is the way we steer the life we live and the direction of the world we live in.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Wow, that is some profound lesson from two cats! Seriously though, you are so right. The golden rule is always applicable.
NOVELYN LAPON
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NOVELYN LAPON »

we have dogs and cats in our house,i love taking care of them,they're useful
perlaa
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by perlaa »

We actually have chickens, cats, and a golden retriever in my home. My golden's name is Summer. I've had her since she was just a little pup. Growing up with her has taught me a lot of life lessons I never knew I'd learn from an animal. The value of companionship and never leave a slice of pizza in the same room with her :lol:
ctravis01
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctravis01.html

Post by ctravis01 »

I have one child still at home. We currently only have one animal, a dog. Over the years we've had quite a selection of animals but I think I had a wider variety as a child. Having animals at home offers lots of teachable moments as well as the opportunity to teach responsibility and compassion.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I do not have kids, but I do have two cats that are basically like our children. They are on a level of a small child in the way they think or interact. Me and my husband have learned a lot from them, including responsibility- our tom lets us know exactly at 7 p.m. to feed him, no buts about it! We have to leave whatever we are doing and feed him.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Slytherin_gurl
Favorite Book: I'll Point to Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slytherin-gurl.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Slytherin_gurl »

I have three dogs living with myself and my kids. They learn as we do. I teach the kids out to handle the dogs, and the dogs show us how to love unconditionally. They help my kids clean the house. I taught the dogs how to pick up after themselves like putting their toys away, so thus the dogs assist the children in putting their toys away. I always grew up with animals. I learned a lot from them as I was growing up. They love us unconditionally and so loyal. :tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

That's a cute housekeeping trick to teach dogs. Our dogs add to the mess (even create it!), rather than help clean up haha.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

I have had animals all my life from cats and dogs to chickens, ducks, and rabbits. I believe that the responsibity that comes with owning an animal has helped me become a responsible adult. I cannot imagine living without a pet and when I do have children, they will grow up with pets as well.
Sammar1

Post by Sammar1 »

No children here, just the four-legged variety. One mini doxie cross named Minute and the two cats who hold him hostage, Petey and Nuggs. I was raised with various critters. At one time we had squirrels in the house as well that my parents rescued.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

I didn't know you could keep squirrels as pets. Don't they bite? Pardon my ignorance but I don't think we have squirrels in my country.
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

We have three kids at home and over their lives we have had a total of four dogs and one cat (maximum of 2 animals at one time). In addition to learning how to clean up after and take responsibility for the needs of the animals, my kids have learned huge life lessons from thier pets. They have learned compassion and tenderness from all the love and snuggles that the pets give them. They have learned responsibility for the safety and welfare of the pet as well as the safety and welfare of guests in the vicinity of the pet. The hardest lessons they learned was how to say goodbye to a loved one - the most gut wrenching goodbye was putting our dog, Buddy, to sleep after an accident where he sustained a broken back. They have learned about family and loyalty being a part of the dogs' pack. They understand the concept of a pack alpha. They have also learned that not everyone thinks a pet should live in one's house, but to us the pets are family...if guests don't like our beloved adoptees, they don't have to be guests of ours.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

I commend your family for making your pets family. I myself don't go near animals as I have this crazy fear of animal bites. I know I'm missing a lot of hugs.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Animals are not really cheap to have around where I come from, but we've had a dog, and we fell in love with it. Unfortunately, it died. It taught us to care mostly. Even when you haven't thought of a meal for yourself, you must think of a meal for the dog. So in a sense, we learnt to put others first. It was really nice having the dog around and there was some crying when we lost him. So, he also taught us about loss.
ABONGILE VONGWE

Post by ABONGILE VONGWE »

Pet can really teach a child responsible

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”