How could you use this book in the classroom?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

How could you use this book in the classroom?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Several here have mentioned that perhaps preschoolers or a bit older may enjoy this read. I thought it would be fun to come with different ways/lessons/activities that teachers could do in order to actually use Farmer Beau's Farm in the classroom. What ideas do you have?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I love this question! I would use this book based on the theme of the week. If the theme is kindness, friendship or farm, then this book would be one of the books I would read during story time.

I would also use the book as reference when we do different class projects. Children can draw their own farm and animals that they would want. Older children can do a writing project where they make their own book that would be a sequel to the original story. There is also tons of classroom discussions that can be had about the book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

hsimone wrote:Several here have mentioned that perhaps preschoolers or a bit older may enjoy this read. I thought it would be fun to come with different ways/lessons/activities that teachers could do in order to actually use Farmer Beau's Farm in the classroom. What ideas do you have?
If I were a teacher, I will ask my pupils to mimic their favorite animal or the animal that amazes them. This activity will serve as my springboard to introduce the animals in the story.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:
hsimone wrote:Several here have mentioned that perhaps preschoolers or a bit older may enjoy this read. I thought it would be fun to come with different ways/lessons/activities that teachers could do in order to actually use Farmer Beau's Farm in the classroom. What ideas do you have?
If I were a teacher, I will ask my pupils to mimic their favorite animal or the animal that amazes them. This activity will serve as my springboard to introduce the animals in the story.
That sounds like a great activity for children! It's great for social, cognitive and even language development!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you! :)

If I were to teach this within a young children's classroom, one of the activities I would complete would be a vocabulary exercise. I would point out three or four new words while reading and briefly discuss them while writing them written down on the board. After the story, the children would go to working areas and be given a little blank booklet. The booklet would either have the vocabulary words already printed on them (one per page) or, for those capable, they can copy the spelling of the words from the board.

Then, we would either work as a whole group, or if I had assistants, perhaps in three or four groups. Each word would be discussed individually and the students would then draw a picture representing each page. They would be able to color in the picture after the class (or small group) is done sketching each word representation.

I would hope after discussing the word verbally, looking at it physically, and drawing an illustration to represent each word, that those three or four words would be more familiar to the children.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I, unfortunately, do not have any creative ideas to bring to the table. HOWEVER, I will be checking back in and seeing if something comes up to suggest to my wife who does teach the elementary school level!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Scerakor wrote:I, unfortunately, do not have any creative ideas to bring to the table. HOWEVER, I will be checking back in and seeing if something comes up to suggest to my wife who does teach the elementary school level!
I love the elementary level!

Another activity you can with this book is a sequencing activity. After reading and discussing the story, the children can be given 3-5 pictures (photocopied or printed online if possible) from the book and their job is to remember the order that the story took place based on the pictures.

Depending on the children's level, they can compare with a neighbor/peer and see they match. After some time for the teacher to walk around and see who remembered the sequence of events, the teacher then can talk through the story. At this point, the children would individually check the order of their pictures and decide if cards need to be switched around.

The children can then be given materials to glue the pictures on a larger piece in appropriate order.

So much fun!
Heidi

Greatachiever
Currently Reading: Silk And Scholar
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greatachiever.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by Greatachiever »

Hmmmmm.. If I was to use this book in the classroom, I would bring a play idea of a farm into the class, and ask the students to choose their favorite animal, and act it!!
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

Thus book can be used to teach some important lessons to the children like making good friends and understanding other people.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I imagine that I could use this book to settle disputes between children who didn't want to get along because of silly differences. I've been in classrooms where four year olds refuse to sit next to each other because "he's fat" or "she's too dark"
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

Amagine wrote:I love this question! I would use this book based on the theme of the week. If the theme is kindness, friendship or farm, then this book would be one of the books I would read during story time.

I would also use the book as reference when we do different class projects. Children can draw their own farm and animals that they would want. Older children can do a writing project where they make their own book that would be a sequel to the original story. There is also tons of classroom discussions that can be had about the book.
It's a really good idea. This would increase both understanding and creativity in children.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

I could use this book to teach all of lessons especially about accepting new people and friendships.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

I think i would use this book in the classroom if the theme of the week in school is talking about showing kindness and farming.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”