Do you plan to read this with a child you know?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Do you plan to read this with a child you know?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Since Farmer Beau's Farm is a children's book, are you planning to read it with a child you know? Why or why not?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Absolutely. I plan to adopt multiple children and this book seems like a great book for a child to read.

It was a great book for a child that is old enough to read and one that can recognize feelings of a new sibling coming to the home, no matter how. (Birth/foster/adoptions). I love that there are books out there like this. Children need something to help them adjust and books are a great way of doing that.

Thinking about it, it might even be good for new students coming to the classroom. Bringing in new people can always be difficult on a child.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

There are only a few children in my family right now, and I don't think I'd read this book with them. Honestly, these little girls would likely be put off by the fact that Bamma "busied herself in the house." It's a bit old fashioned.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

AlwaysWorthIt wrote:Absolutely. I plan to adopt multiple children and this book seems like a great book for a child to read.

It was a great book for a child that is old enough to read and one that can recognize feelings of a new sibling coming to the home, no matter how. (Birth/foster/adoptions). I love that there are books out there like this. Children need something to help them adjust and books are a great way of doing that.

Thinking about it, it might even be good for new students coming to the classroom. Bringing in new people can always be difficult on a child.
That's awesome that you're planning on reading it with several children! I agree this works with families and with new students coming into the classroom.

-- 10 May 2017, 23:42 --
gaporter wrote:There are only a few children in my family right now, and I don't think I'd read this book with them. Honestly, these little girls would likely be put off by the fact that Bamma "busied herself in the house." It's a bit old fashioned.
Good point about Bamma's role in this read. It's definitely one that may bother those girls who want more in life.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I teach toddlers and this book is probably a little too long for them. If I taught preschool than yes, it would be a great book to read because we can discuss all the different themes and messages of the book. I would especially read it if I was focusing on the theme of kindness.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Absolutely yes. I downloaded the books because i wanted to share and read it together with my daughter.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Amagine wrote:I teach toddlers and this book is probably a little too long for them. If I taught preschool than yes, it would be a great book to read because we can discuss all the different themes and messages of the book. I would especially read it if I was focusing on the theme of kindness.
I agree with this. I would also read it with preschoolers and a little bit older, focusing on the theme of kindness and acceptance.

-- 11 May 2017, 15:32 --
Moniquejm wrote:Absolutely yes. I downloaded the books because i wanted to share and read it together with my daughter.
That's awesome! You'll have to let us know if your daughter enjoyed the book. :)
Heidi

Cheeky
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 22">Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks</a>
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheeky.html
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cheeky »

I have 2 Little some ones that i will be shareing with. Great book.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I think this book can be read just between children. I can picture an older sibling or an older classmate reading it to someone younger than them. Sometimes it's interesting seeing children read with each other. It's also interesting to listen to their interpretations of the story.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

gaporter wrote:There are only a few children in my family right now, and I don't think I'd read this book with them. Honestly, these little girls would likely be put off by the fact that Bamma "busied herself in the house." It's a bit old fashioned.
That part bothered me as well. I understand that they worked on a farm and that she is shown working outside/in the barn in a couple of pictures, but it was very gender divided.

I read the book to my sister. She seemed to like it, but I think that she wanted to hear more in the ending. She seemed to be disappointed when there weren't any pages left to read.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

hsimone wrote:Since Farmer Beau's Farm is a children's book, are you planning to read it with a child you know? Why or why not?
I will read this book to my nephews and nieces. I want them to be animal lovers like me. I want them to realize and appreciate the amazing personality of every animal.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Cheeky wrote:I have 2 Little some ones that i will be shareing with. Great book.
I'm sure that your little ones will enjoy this book and I'm so glad to hear that you will be sharing it with them! It's great bonding time between adults and children.

Marika Tabone
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-tabone.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Marika Tabone »

I would love to read this book with my two sons. My eldest is an animal lover. He would surely enjoy this book. It would be a good opportunity for them to learn more about kindness and tolerance. We could even act it out. We love role playing.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Marika Tabone wrote:I would love to read this book with my two sons. My eldest is an animal lover. He would surely enjoy this book. It would be a good opportunity for them to learn more about kindness and tolerance. We could even act it out. We love role playing.
That's a great activity that you could do with your sons! I'm sure they would enjoy role playing different animals!

Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

Yes, I will likely read this book to some young readers. It was a sweet book that I feel they will enjoy.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”