Should a book contain words that are challenging to readers?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Should a book contain words that are challenging to readers?

Post by Amagine »

In hsimone's review of Farmer Beau's Farm, she mentions that the book contain words that may be unfamiliar to children such as, "tinkering," "burrowed" and other words. By doing this, the author helps to expand a child's vocabulary.

What's your opinion? Should a book contain words that are challenging to young readers or should it be kept simple? Why?

What about books for adults? Do you like reading books that contain challenging words? Why?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I love challenging words, so long as the author doesn't make their writing feel like a word-of-the-day calander. I've had this happen, and while it's interesting, it detracts from the story a great deal.
Organically done, there is nothing better 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

I think that's the best way to learn new words: to read it in a story and see how it is used. As long as there are not too many new words and as long as they are not all in the same sentence so that it is overwhelming, I think it is appropriate for their to be new words in children's books. Adult books, too.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

This is a really thoughtful question, I love it! I definitely think adding challenging words to books is a positive. As a young child, I remember I learned so much of my vocabulary from reading challenging books. Especially for children, the use of challenging words helps them develop skills to infer meaning through context. As an adult, I still learn a lot from challenging vocabulary in books! As long as children have access to an adult who can help them with challenging words, or know how to use a dictionary (or other similar tools), the use of challenging vocabulary can be really helpful in growing young readers minds.

Great question @amigine :tiphat:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the shout-out, Amagine! When teaching, I used to do Running Records to understand my students' reading level and therefore suggest appropriate independent-reading books. Usually, in order to keep the reader engaged, you need a certain number of new/potentially unfamiliar words - this is their independent/learning level. If there are too many new words, then it becomes a bit too challenging and/or frustrating for the child (needs to be avoided). If the text is too simple, then you risk the child becoming bored.

Overall, children (and adults) need to be challenged, not to the point of frustration, but enough to keep the reader engaged and learning. So, I loved that the author incorporated just enough new words, but not too much that a child could become easily frustrated.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
AlwaysWorthIt
Currently Reading: The Serial Killer Files
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysworthit.html
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith

Post by AlwaysWorthIt »

Of course. I'm a strong believer that any book should have challenging words. If a book is made for a 3rd grader, it should have a word or two made for 4th grade and so on. Reading is supposed to help a person's vocabulary grow. Besides, everyone should be challenged in most things we do. It allows us to grow.
It's Always Worth the Read.
Latest Review: "Gilligan's Toy" by Janice Smith
alpharod22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alpharod22.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by alpharod22 »

Challenging words are always good for the reason that it expands your vocabulary. For a child, I believe it is something good in order for them to grow more knowledgeable and capture vocabulary more easily. As an adult, I love challenging words. it gives me a thrill to go to the dictionary and find what that word means because it expands my vocabulary. I think it is good to often place challenging words in books.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
GCalkins
Currently Reading: The Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 652

Post by GCalkins »

Reading is my favorite way to learn new words and, I think, the least stressful, as I can take the time to look up definitions and pronunciation in a dictionary. So, yes, I think that including words that may be new to certain readers is important in books. There is, however, a line, as I've read a few books where the vocabulary is so obscure that it becomes difficult to take it seriously.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

MarisaRose wrote:This is a really thoughtful question, I love it! I definitely think adding challenging words to books is a positive. As a young child, I remember I learned so much of my vocabulary from reading challenging books. Especially for children, the use of challenging words helps them develop skills to infer meaning through context. As an adult, I still learn a lot from challenging vocabulary in books! As long as children have access to an adult who can help them with challenging words, or know how to use a dictionary (or other similar tools), the use of challenging vocabulary can be really helpful in growing young readers minds.

Great question @amigine :tiphat:
Thank you :D

-- 10 May 2017, 19:45 --
hsimone wrote:Thank you for the shout-out, Amagine! When teaching, I used to do Running Records to understand my students' reading level and therefore suggest appropriate independent-reading books. Usually, in order to keep the reader engaged, you need a certain number of new/potentially unfamiliar words - this is their independent/learning level. If there are too many new words, then it becomes a bit too challenging and/or frustrating for the child (needs to be avoided). If the text is too simple, then you risk the child becoming bored.

Overall, children (and adults) need to be challenged, not to the point of frustration, but enough to keep the reader engaged and learning. So, I loved that the author incorporated just enough new words, but not too much that a child could become easily frustrated.
You're welcome :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

:D

I also feel that if the author does a good job at it, then children can use context clues to try and 'guess' the definition before confirming. I loved doing this as a teacher, and I love doing this as an adult! :) For my previous students, I used to present it as a game (sometimes; you don't want to overdo it either). They had to be a skillful detective and use clues to figure out unknown words' definitions. As they got older, it was less of a game and more of a useful reading skill. It helped them comprehend the story more when they were diving deeper into the text than just reading the words.
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If no one was ever challenged, we would never learn. I think it's great as long as someone is there to explain the words to the child. At that age, I'm not sure they can be expected to know how to use a dictionary. Also, I think it's a great way to learn new words if the author makes it clear through the pictures or the context what the meaning is.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kandscreeley wrote:If no one was ever challenged, we would never learn. I think it's great as long as someone is there to explain the words to the child. At that age, I'm not sure they can be expected to know how to use a dictionary. Also, I think it's a great way to learn new words if the author makes it clear through the pictures or the context what the meaning is.
I agree, in this instance, it might be a bit much having a young child look up the word in a dictionary. Perhaps the teacher can look up the word after the kids guess what the word might mean. Or, the classroom can make their own "dictionary" (or individual "dictionaries") after reading and conversing. The new words here could be included with a picture attached to the word, since many preschoolers don't write cohesive sentences.
Heidi

cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

Like others in this post, agree some challenging words in books is a positive. I remember reading a book as a young child and the word chaos was new to me. I asked my parents what it meant (butchering the pronunciation?), but still remember my parents helping me understand. Agree with others who also said as long as a child has access to someone to help them understand and most of the book is not challenging, then it's a positive.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by KiMB00P »

I think it's important to have challenging words for children. It expands their vocabulary and helps them with understanding others in everyday communication as well as helping them to express themselves too.

I grew up only knowing how to speak English but my mother speaks Korean natively. Since my experience with speaking to family was hindered, I'm still learning to this day how to use words to express myself emotionally, which I have struggled with my entire life.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The field of psychology believes that children can easily learn new languages. New or unfamiliar words from children's story book will widen their vocabulary.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”