Should a book contain words that are challenging to readers?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Richard Mudd
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-mudd.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Re: Should a book contain words that are challenging to read

Post by Richard Mudd »

Absolutely yes, otherwise unless we read dictionaries in our spare time, how would our vocabularies be enlarged. Quite apart from that the written word is a more friendly medium in which to encounter new words, one can set the book aside and find out the meaning, imagine doing that in a verbal exchange. Ignoring the potential for embarrassment in that situation, for both parties, what a conversation killer it would be, unless the user was one of those point scorers we sometimes come across, straining to construct a meaningful sentence including some obscure word or two.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

I think the words should be there but the word's shouldn't be used too much as to negate the purpose of writing the book.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

The challenge in introducing new, more complexed and unfamiliar words to a child's vocabulary is more so knowing what audience the novelmis targetting. For example, my little sister is dyslexic and in trying to overcome it, even though she is years beyond her reading capabilities, we've had to search for books that are suited to her actual reading level or grade level. Each level she moves up does challenge her, but it can never be so challenging that she becomes frustrated trying to read the book
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...a book should contain challenging words for both the younger and older audience. As it is... It helps with knowing new words but can still be kept simple
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kb3ck
Currently Reading: Two by Two
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kb3ck.html
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Kb3ck »

I absolutely think that books should contain some challenging words. Part of reading is to learn and grow as a person. Challenging words increase the reader's vocabulary which means the reader is expanding their knowledge.
Latest Review: "Brown Scarf Blues" by Mois Benarroch
MoseyProse
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moseyprose.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by MoseyProse »

Certainly! I think one of the best ways to learn new words is by reading them in the context of a sentence in a book. It's how I've learnt many new words.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

Most of the words I learnt as a child were not learnt by consciously opening the pages of a dictionary. I learnt most words because of the settings they were used in, no matter how complex they were, and every time without fail when I cross-checked those words or was asked for their meanings, I had the right answer. I feel that challenging words are essential for children to build their vocabulary.

On the other hand, as an adult, although I would welcome challenging words, I don't appreciate when they are so much as to interrupt my reading flow because I have to check the meaning of so many words. It makes reading burdensome, except the sole purpose is improving my vocabulary.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I have found that having a few unknown words in a story is a good teaching tool. I like helping my grand daughter that way.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I agree with all others - when not overdone, the use of challenging words serves to improve one's vocabulary, whether the reader is an adult or a child.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

Challenging words are one of the perks of reading. It helps our vocabulary and makes us challenge to keep brushing up on our words.
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

There should definitely be challenging words in books. That is how children (and adults) expand their vocabularies. If we aren't learning anything at all from our readings then what is the point?
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I think challenging words can help you to expand your vocabulary and imagination. So it is good for children to learn new words through interesting stories.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Of course. But not too many, I hope. I wonder if it's going to be a little different for non-English speaking youngsters, although being children, they tend to absorb a lot of things very quickly. My friend's daughter speaks English with an Aussie accent just by watching YouTube. Her vocabulary is quite amazing too. I was floored when she asked me how to "devour" a sandwich.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Oh yes they should. But they shouldn't be overwhelming and thrown in there to just show how eloquent the author is at every turn. They should add color to the story and characters. Also whenever I'm reading a goodnight story and it contains words that my kiddo does not understand yet, it is quite fun to try and find synonyms for different words or to try and explain concepts otherwise we might not touch in our everyday life.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

Some excellent points made above.
I agree, some challenging words are not an issue. What is an issue though is when an author, or speaker uses complex or obscure words where a simpler, more commonplace word would suffice. There is nothing clever in it, only their ego showing.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”