Should a book contain words that are challenging to readers?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Re: Should a book contain words that are challenging to read

Post by noethe5 »

Without question a book should contain challenging words for the readers. This type of exposure is a part of the foundation of building ones vocabulary. Forcing a reader to utilize context clues to determine word meaning is an essential skill of a strong reader.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Jax14 »

As a child I used to carry a notepad around with me and any words that I didn't understand I would look them up and add them to "my" dictionary. I learnt a lot this way and made a point of using these new words as often as I could!
Ifeco
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ifeco »

I think that's the whole essence of reading. To inspire, to motivate, to challenge,and to teach.
I read to get spurred on. l learn a lot.
Angelsmart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angelsmart »

A book should contain words that are challenging to readers, both young and adults. That's what make us learn. My niece most of the times reads with her dictionary besides her, and she finds meaning to challenging words and studies how it's used in a context and that's it, that word sticks forever in her head. I love books with challenging words but not too many in just a book, it makes reading straineous and not so fun. But all the same it expands my vocabs.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

If the word used best conveys the writers thoughts or feelings then yes! If used unnecessarily though then no, as it will only detract from the message being communicated.
Daniel Abraham

Post by Daniel Abraham »

It is a two-way thing. A book containing words that are challenging to read first, slows down one's reading pace bearing in mind that any contact with challenging words means consulting the dictionary. This consequently will make reading boring and quite exhausting. On the positive, it improves one's word bank which means an improvement in one's use of English language.
Again, should a book contain words that are quite simple, chances that presumption is unavoidable is glaring. I think the needful should be done as occasion demands.
AYISHA_ASH
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayisha-ash.html
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon

Post by AYISHA_ASH »

It is indeed the best way to learn new words, but if the author uses too many challenging words in a single page it becomes tiring. It shouldn't interfere with the flow of the story.
Latest Review: "My Mother Called Me UNNI" by Dr. Venugopal K. Menon
masterhawk88
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masterhawk88.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by masterhawk88 »

Depends on if it fits in to the context of the book for me. A children's book shouldn't contain medical jargon, but a book that takes place in a hospital should.
Through books, I have lived not just one life but thousands.
onlybooksandhorses

Post by onlybooksandhorses »

I think it's an interesting question! I think if a writer is using difficult words for the sake of it, it's more showing off than a show of literary prowess. Words should be succinct, and flow with the text; they don't need to make the reader feel stupid or lost (although sometimes they can do both!)
Ginya
Currently Reading: It Ended Badly
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginya.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited

Post by Ginya »

I am all for books containing challenging words and I feel that I would have less of a developed vocabulary today if I hadn't liked reading so much as a kid. I agree with the above poster that some authors put too much effort into inserting as many obscure and tough words as possible in their book. Why? Do they think they seem smarter that way? Do they have something to prove? Flow means a lot in story writing. The words, though unfamiliar, should be able to be understood through context for the most part. Though really, if I have to check a dictionary once in a while, is it really a bad thing? It teaches us to be less lazy ; )

What if we actively stopped including unfamiliar vocabulary in books? I can't help but wonder if it continued on long enough, the words that would be considered "challenging" would grow to include more and more words that can and should belong to everyone's vocabulary. It could be a slippery slope.
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
khusnick
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khusnick.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by khusnick »

I agree that using harder words builds vocabulary. I have personally built up my vocabulary through reading. New words can be figured out through context clues or through a quick Google search.

The examples of words given aren't hard words, though. Most children know those from watching the Tinkerbell movies.

My mother had a similar issue when she was taking writing classes. Her instructors reviewed her stories saying that children wouldn't know what certain words meant, and their complaints were about things like the buttercup flowers. Kids definitely know what those are.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

I think the author should use whatever words are necessary. I think it is great when authors make things a little more challenging and not watered down. I can't tell you how much my son has learned from reading. I read him The Hobbit when he was 2 years old and he loved it. Children learn so quickly.
NickLock
Currently Reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicklock.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by NickLock »

A book should definitely challenge the reader, but it should show balance in the use of less popular words. Many people read to be entertained, yet reading improves our vocabulary. A book should not be so challenging that one cannot understand the storyline. Though I love using the dictionary, if I had to pull it out for every other sentence, I will eventually find myself skipping over the words, which will lead to abandoning the book. If the author needs to write in this way, it should be written to where the reader can figure out many of the words by context.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html

Post by rhiza021 »

I do think it's quite helpful to add some challenging words as it helps in adding vocabulary and more learning for the readers. It is helpful as long as they are not used too often or exaggeratedly as this may cause the readers to feel stressed rather than to enjoy the book they're reading.
CheanneL
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheannel.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by CheanneL »

I think it's a great way to expand our vocabularies, both adults, and children. My Dad never wanted us to use baby words with my sister when she was little, he wanted her to learn proper words. So why not have books that also use proper words, even challenging words, then they'll not only hear them but learn how to spell them too. It can only benefit them.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”