Should a book contain words that are challenging to readers?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Escarilla
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Should a book contain words that are challenging to read

Post by Escarilla »

Yes, I think books should contain challenging words because you can learn more words which increases your vocabulary. It can make the book more mentally challenging and engage the reader to look up the meaning of the word.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Books with challenging words offers a great learning opportunity for all ages. An aspiring writer for instance has no better way of building his vocabulary than reading such books.Children are at the stage of cognitive development and I think book with challenging words will be very good for this. English is not my native language and so I always look forward to learning new words each time I read.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Like many have already said, there is a careful balance between the two. As well, the response likely differs depending on the target of the book and the type of person the reader is. If the book is MEANT to be used as a teaching tool, absolutely. If you are the type of person who likes using books to increase your vocabulary (as I am) I love it. I can definitely see it being a downside for those that really just want to read a book in order to be amused and not think.
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

Even as adults we need books with challenging words. Especially when they are used in the proper context
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

Absolutely! This is exactly how knowledgde grows. Challenges in any shape or form had always been welcomed by me. Bring it on! ?
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I think it is good for a book to contain words that are challenging to young readers because they do, as you mentioned, need to increase their vocabulary. I also find books for adults good to have certain words that are challenging, but if it gets too much then it just is not very nice. However, I enjoy learning new vocabulary even now.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Annarebel
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Annarebel »

They should to a certain extent. Words, even if unfamiliar, used in the context and scope of a child's experience are easy for the chilt to decipher. It helps to build their vocabulary as well.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Definitely, because it enriches one's vocabulary. I enjoy reaching for my dictionary to clarify something and learn new things. What I think is unpleasantly challenging is a book written in jargon, such as legalese or medical jargon.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

For children, books and storytelling should be fun. It shouldn't be a chore or a vocabulary lesson. Though I did agree on a few of the comments about someone around to explain the word to the child. That's always a good way to learn. As adults, we're grown enough to look up words in the dictionary.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

There is certainly a place for challenging words in books for young readers. If they are never given challenging material, how will their reading skills progress?
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

My first language is Spanish. I probably took a couple of years to get a grasp on the language however by seven I was alright in it for that age. What is really cool is that when I moved to an English speaking country at the age of 7, I was able to grasp English in just a few months.
Judging from my history, the vocabulary in children's books should challenge them - children love challenges.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Everybody, children most especially, should learn a couple of new words from every book. The dictionary should be a friendly companion to every reader and a good book can make the dictionary definition stick.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Definitely! Perhaps too many might be a bit of a headache, but a new word every now and then would definitely keep me alert. I don't go running for a dictionary and just try to understand from the context but my vocabulary improves every day because of those new words! How many of us try to learn new words EVERY DAY from the dictionary? A rare few, I'm sure! But those who are voracious readers (like me :wink: ) learn new words unintentionally! Thanks authors!
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Absolutely - with our modern access to dictionaries at the touch of a button, there is really no excuse not to make the tiny bit of required effort to figure out the meaning of an unfamiliar word.
Bookworm_1515
Favorite Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =5998">The King</a>
Currently Reading: The Bonding
Bookshelf Size: 85
fav_author_id: 3137

Post by Bookworm_1515 »

I enjoy reading books that expand my imagination along with expanding my vocabulary. I like to think my vocabulary is already quite expansive, but I find it exciting to learn new words. I am constantly finding new favorites. I also find that books with challenging vocabularies allows the reader to continue educating themselves while being entertained. Helping a child discover new ways to express themselves is important. I am constantly teaching my kids to use their words. The more creative they are in verbally expressing themselves the more confidence they garner in social and personal relationships.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”