Should a book contain words that are challenging to readers?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Re: Should a book contain words that are challenging to read

Post by Sparkletime »

This reminds me of the famous Faulkner vs Hemingway exchange. Faulkner said Hemingway "has never been known to use a word that might cause the reader to check with a dictionary to see if it properly used". Some took that as an insult but it was a compliment. Still Hemingway later said "Does he really think big emotions come from big words?" of Faulkner. I think both styles are equally valid as long as the writing fit the style and situation.
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
Nthabeleng
Currently Reading: Tips, Myths and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nthabeleng.html
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Nthabeleng »

I agree that books should have challenging words for readers. If a book is too simple it becomes boring but new words makes it intriguing just as long as the author doesn't do it too much. it's a good way to expand once vocabulary.
Latest Review: "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann
Anganie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anganie »

yes i do think books should contain words that are challenging to readers because it will give them the opportunity to learn a different word,some way down the line they might see the same word but have no idea of the meaning so its better to learn now than later :)
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Learning new words is good at any age but especially for children. As long as most words are familiar, the story stays engaging and enjoyable while still expanding their vocabulary.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

In a world that pushes for less colorful vocabulary, I think it's important for children to learn new words and also that it's okay not to know a word. I loved learning new words when I was younger and I still enjoy a challenging word when I read. You have to keep learning and unfortunately that is something we appear to be pulling away from. Stagnation is crippling.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I also enjoy reading books with challenging words. As long as it is not too many that I become distracted from the story and find myself reading a dictionary more. I like learning new words and expanding my vocabulary.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Yes, but they should be used with purpose. If I look up the word, I want to feel like I've learned something useful. I don't like when I look it up, only to find a word that has a dozen common synonyms that would have worked better in context--that's just the author trying to show off.

Tinker and burrow are good words to know, though. I approve in this case!
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Liambee John
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liambee John »

well, challenging words are good to some extent perhaps as a beginner, it is not advisable using challenging words for it may pave way for lost of focus, attention and comprehension. So it should be minimize while using challenging or ambiguous vocabularies.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Amagine wrote:In hsimone's review of Farmer Beau's Farm, she mentions that the book contain words that may be unfamiliar to children such as, "tinkering," "burrowed" and other words. By doing this, the author helps to expand a child's vocabulary.

What's your opinion? Should a book contain words that are challenging to young readers or should it be kept simple? Why?

What about books for adults? Do you like reading books that contain challenging words? Why?
I think that challenging a young reader's mind is a way to expand vocabulary and help them develop thinking skills that may not be developed in other ways. Personally, I love to come across new words when reading.
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

Yes! I think a book should always include challenging vocabulary - it is how we learn and develop ourselves. Especially with devices like the kindle where you can highlight a word you don't know and it brings up the definition - an extremely easy way to learn new words. Even without the kindle one of my favourite things about reading a book is encountering words I don't know and learning what they are - even if I forget them straight after!

-- 13 May 2017, 13:54 --

Yes! I think a book should always include challenging vocabulary - it is how we learn and develop ourselves. Especially with devices like the kindle where you can highlight a word you don't know and it brings up the definition - an extremely easy way to learn new words. Even without the kindle one of my favourite things about reading a book is encountering words I don't know and learning what they are - even if I forget them straight after!
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Liambee John wrote:well, challenging words are good to some extent perhaps as a beginner, it is not advisable using challenging words for it may pave way for lost of focus, attention and comprehension. So it should be minimize while using challenging or ambiguous vocabularies.
I do agree that it should be minimized. If it is overdone, readers will lose interest in the book.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Amagine wrote:In hsimone's review of Farmer Beau's Farm, she mentions that the book contain words that may be unfamiliar to children such as, "tinkering," "burrowed" and other words. By doing this, the author helps to expand a child's vocabulary.

What's your opinion? Should a book contain words that are challenging to young readers or should it be kept simple? Why?

What about books for adults? Do you like reading books that contain challenging words? Why?
I love books with challenging words. Every time I read, my printed dictionary is beside me to check on every new word that I encounter.
ShyColt
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by ShyColt »

I think so. It's the perfect learning opportunity. Between context clues and the readily available thesaurus, I don't think it should be a problem.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Gravy wrote:I love challenging words, so long as the author doesn't make their writing feel like a word-of-the-day calander. I've had this happen, and while it's interesting, it detracts from the story a great deal.
Organically done, there is nothing better 8)
I have had an embarrassing experience with a challenging word, back when I was in fifth grade. Up until now, I smile bitterly if I am reminded of that incident. Despite this, I will still advocate for challenging words in readings from different genres and for different ages.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I also advocate for challenging words. It can be embarrassing sometimes when you come across a word that you don't understand or can't pronounce. It helps build your vocabulary though which is very important.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”