Which character do you relate to more?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Post Reply
User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5015
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Century Cube by Bo Boswell
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Which character do you relate to more?

Post by hsimone » 09 May 2017, 15:53

Of the limited characters in this month's book, which would you say do you relate to more (as a child and/or as an adult)? In what ways, do you relate to this character?
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
Amagine
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 09 May 2017, 17:25

I think I relate to to Marissa, the giraffe. The reason is because I know how it feels to be in a new environment and not feel like you belong. I also know how it feels to be made fun of.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
Donnavila Marie01
Posts: 930
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 02:39
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 » 09 May 2017, 21:10

Even if Beau and Bamma do not fall under the main characters, I can so much relate to them because theyrepresent people who love animals. I love animals, especially dogs and cats.

User avatar
Amagine
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 09 May 2017, 22:06

I can also relate to Farmer Beau as well. He is welcoming and kind to others. I would like to think that I resemble him and his characteristics, even if it's just a little bit.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5015
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Century Cube by Bo Boswell
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Post by hsimone » 10 May 2017, 03:28

Amagine wrote:I think I relate to to Marissa, the giraffe. The reason is because I know how it feels to be in a new environment and not feel like you belong. I also know how it feels to be made fun of.
I also understand of being in a new environment and not feel like you belong. We all probably have felt this way one way or another. I don't really remember being made fun of, but that could have easily happened behind my back, who knows. Although, it didn't seem like Marissa actually heard what Kailey and Sammy were saying. It seemed like she was crying because of how uncomfortable she was on a farm, so maybe I'm more like Marissa than I first thought.

-- 10 May 2017, 10:31 --
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Even if Beau and Bamma do not fall under the main characters, I can so much relate to them because theyrepresent people who love animals. I love animals, especially dogs and cats.
Amagine wrote:I can also relate to Farmer Beau as well. He is welcoming and kind to others. I would like to think that I resemble him and his characteristics, even if it's just a little bit.
I also agree with both of you. Though Beau and Bamma weren't the main characters, they do represent people who love animals, and I love them as well. And you are right, Amagine, Beau is kind and welcoming to others, and I hope I am, too.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 1982
Joined: 02 Oct 2014, 12:42
2018 Reading Goal: 75
2017 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: The Chronicles of a Sophisticated Redneck by Phillip Garrett
Location: Kentucky-Tennessee state line, USA

Post by LivreAmour217 » 11 May 2017, 16:42

I, too, relate to Marissa. I've been the new girl many times, and I know what it's like to feel sad and lonely in a new place.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

User avatar
Amagine
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 11 May 2017, 21:52

If this was a question of who I relate to the least, it would be Bamma. The reason is because she is portrayed as a wife who works in the home while her husband works outside of it. Her role is completely different from my own.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5015
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Century Cube by Bo Boswell
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Post by hsimone » 12 May 2017, 06:23

Amagine wrote:If this was a question of who I relate to the least, it would be Bamma. The reason is because she is portrayed as a wife who works in the home while her husband works outside of it. Her role is completely different from my own.
I would have said the same thing up until a year ago, but due to temporarily relocating, I cannot say the same thing now.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
Donnavila Marie01
Posts: 930
Joined: 19 Dec 2016, 02:39
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 » 12 May 2017, 20:14

LivreAmour217 wrote:I, too, relate to Marissa. I've been the new girl many times, and I know what it's like to feel sad and lonely in a new place.
New environment, new culture, and new system really are challenging. An individual experiencing such is pushed to his limits. But this new experience widens the horizon of the person involved.

User avatar
Amagine
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 12 May 2017, 20:23

I can relate to Farmer Beau only because he seems like a kind and hardworking person. I like to think that I'm the same as well, at least I try to be.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 5015
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Latest Review: The Century Cube by Bo Boswell
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Post by hsimone » 13 May 2017, 03:40

Amagine wrote:I can relate to Farmer Beau only because he seems like a kind and hardworking person. I like to think that I'm the same as well, at least I try to be.
I would like to think I'm like Farmer Beau, as well. He seems welcoming, kind-hearted, and someone who enjoys a good day's hard work. I don't think I could be a full-time farmer like him, but I like to try my best in any work that I am given.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
Amagine
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 726
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 14 May 2017, 09:21

I also don't think I can be a full time farmer. I'm not a huge fan of working outside because of my twenty something war with bugs. I definitely admire his characteristics though.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
Zero
Posts: 88
Joined: 12 May 2017, 11:17
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero » 20 May 2017, 05:15

Amagine wrote:I think I relate to to Marissa, the giraffe. The reason is because I know how it feels to be in a new environment and not feel like you belong. I also know how it feels to be made fun of.
Donnavila Marie01 wrote:New environment, new culture, and new system really are challenging. An individual experiencing such is pushed to his limits. But this new experience widens the horizon of the person involved.
Yeah I can relate with both of you. And I agree with you @Donnavila Marie01
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein

User avatar
IsabelMay
Posts: 234
Joined: 21 Jun 2017, 04:36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3562
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay » 21 Jun 2017, 16:01

I feel like I can relate the most to Marissa. Changing the environment, meeting new people and getting to know new places is quite scary and stressful. I completely agree with others who relate to her as well, as being the ''new one'' is most of the time very hard not only for you but also for others.

User avatar
eelavahs-jay
Posts: 188
Joined: 11 Sep 2017, 16:00
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by eelavahs-jay » 30 Sep 2017, 15:26

I related to Marissa. I've been in unfamiliar places and had people laugh at me simply because I was different. Then they have the nerve to come and speak to me like a minute ago they were talking about me behind their backs. That kind of irked me about Kailey and Sammy.

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”