How do you establish a good relationship?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: How do you establish a good relationship?

Post by Amagine »

srm628 wrote:I think trust and commitment are definitely big parts to a good relationship. In order to have a good relationship, relationships require being about to trust the person and knowing they are going to come through on what they say.
I agree with you. Relationships are all about trust. If there is no trust, a good relationship can't be established.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Aimy wrote:I try to be polite and welcoming. More importantly, I try to think positively about others and find the good in them. It keeps me calm on the inside and friendly on the outside.
I support this. Sometimes, we can not avoid to have negative impressions but we need to see the brighter nature of others. The next challenge is, how to sustain this newly established relationship.
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

Just being open with each other but still respectful. I have found that some of my best friendships/relationships occur when I am able to express myself freely, but I do it in a respectful way, so even though there may be differences, the person knows I am coming at them from a place of love and care and not judgement.
Donnavila Marie01

After establishing a good relationship, the next challenge is, sustaining one. This is more challenging than the first one because as two individuals continue to develop their relationship, they discover skeletons in the closets of each other.
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Consistently treating my partner as a partner. Prioritizing the things they find important, even if I don't understand why they're important.

Never fighting. Seriously. Disagreeing is inevitable, and hurt feelings happen--we talk through them. We speak up when something is bothering either of us.
But we keep treating each other like allies, even when we're hurting. When you started treating your partner like an opponent, trying to win by making them lose--then you've lost your relationship.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Liambee John
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liambee John »

The ability to understand each other is a key to a good relationship establishment
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Kitten Kailey and the little bunny Sammy are good friends despite the differences. The have an amazing relationship. How do you establish a good relationship? To keep a good relationship, I strive to keep the trust. Because trust is important in maintaining a good relationship.
Trust is important but understanding and respect are also important. If someone is different or makes a mistake, knowing that this will not come between friends is a blessing. Being persecuted or blamed or belittled is a fear that most people have and being comfortable in a relationship gives you that person that you can talk to or go to when everyone else seems to be against you.
Donnavila Marie01

Amiinatu wrote:I don't know but I think am the worst when it comes to establishing new relationship not that am not jovial or anything, am just not good with new people but I keep the old ones really well
I think we have the same case. I do not know how to start a conversation with strangers but I am a trustworthy and loyal friend.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I think there is a lot of people who don't know how to start conversations with strangers. It can a scary experience but it can also be rewarding.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Communication and honesty are the keys to a good relationship. Communication involves sharing/openly talking about your thoughts and feelings. Sometimes we come across situations that shatters our trust, but with communication the trust can be re-established and the relationship maintained. Nothing kills a relationship more than lies. It kills the trust, love, and understanding and even the communication. Being honest about your acts whether good or bad always sustains a relationship.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

Trust and communication is key. Its amazing when meeting someone new, there is almost always a little bit of trust of eachother. Even tho we may not trust completely but just in the meeting of someone we trust that they are decent.
Eoui
Favorite Author: Timothy Zahn
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eoui.html
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 9892

Post by Eoui »

Miriam Molina wrote:I believe communication is a key factor in every relationship. A lot of misunderstanding happens when we miss understanding what people say.

What people say is not limited to the words that come out of the mouth; language is crucial too. So while technology offers us the electronic means to reach out to others, the face-to-face encounter is always best, especially for our more treasured relationships.

I so agree with your first few statements! It's very important to be upfront about a situation if there's a misunderstanding. Over the years I've found, like you said, misunderstanding is the key factor in how a relationship develops.

But I differ about online relationships. I've never dated online, but my best friends have all started from online communication. I think it depends on if it's medium that works for you and the other person involved. Also on your comfort level, I share a lot of photos and events happening in my life with my friend in the UK to the point where we're even on speaking terms with each other's family members. It's all about who's using it and the individual's specific needs in a relationship. It works for some people, not at all for others.
Latest Review: "The Immigrant's Lament" by Mois benarroch
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

To establish a good relationship, I guess one of the main keys is to try and be empathetic. And even if you can't imagine yourself going through the same thing, you just need to be sympathetic towards that person's situation, and show that you'll be there for them. Though words can be useful, a lot of the times they aren't needed. For instance, I used to try and play the "fixer-upper" in my friendships, and because of that, they simply ignored me, or they screamed at me. Other than that, I'd also like to suggest sharing the same experiences as them.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
EMoffat
Currently Reading: Norse Mythology
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emoffat.html
Latest Review: A Life In Waiting by Katrina Benson

Post by EMoffat »

I believe honesty and trust is the best basis of any friendship, whether it is friendship ot more. Just be there for the person as they really are, never try and change them, and accept that everyone has their flaws and weaknesses
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

Listening and being considerate alone will take you plenty far in my opinion. It's things like common interests and doing things together that'll push that line of friendship further and deeper.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”