What is the first book you remember reading?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Re: What is the first book you remember reading?

Post by gaporter »

I know many books were read to me as a little kid, particularly Pooh Bear stories, but I think the first book I read myself was about a brown rabbit that turned into a white rabbit in the winter time. I wish I remembered more about it than that. I don't even remember what was the main message of the book. But I was proud of myself for reading it all on my own.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

My first memory of reading is the book Are You My Mother? My parents, mainly my father, would read this book to me whenever I would nap or go to sleep. I loved the illustrations in the book and the slim feel of it's cover. I also remember a book with the main character, Alistair, who builds a space ship, if I remember correctly. That was the first book I copied down and it was then that I knew I would be a writer. I also remember reading Stewart Little and racing ahead to finish it before the class was supposed to.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
alpharod22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alpharod22.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by alpharod22 »

Wow, this was so long ago that I can't remember the book title. There was one that I read while in grade school about a fish with colorful scales. But I am sure that was not the first book I read. There have been so many books I have read that every time I try remembering, I always forget the name. I love reading so much but since I started at an early age, I can't remember half of the books I have read.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Another book that I remember reading was all of my Disney books. I remember my parents would mail order books and they were all books based off my favorite Disney movies. I still have some of those books in my library.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The first series of books I remember reading was The Berenstein Bears. I LOVED that series. I was an avid reader even from a young age :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nina Butler
Currently Reading: rubies
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-butler.html

Post by Nina Butler »

The Pokey Little Puppy is the book that my grandma used to teach me how to read with. I remember sitting on the couch with her and reading it over and over again. I do not still have the book, but I wish that I did. This was a children's book by the Golden Books series.
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

The first book that stuck a chord with me and I remember not wanting to put down was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118

Post by KiMB00P »

The first book I actually enjoyed was the Harry Potter series. I had gotten through to middle school with reading without actually enjoying it and reading because I had to. I remember being at my best friends house on her birthday and her mom gave her the latest of the Harry Potter new releases and they discussed some parts of the book and were very excited about it.

I hadn't read it and she let me borrow the first book of the series. It was amazing. I could picture everything that was happening and it took me to through the secret world of wizardry. I finished up the series quickly and went on to read adult fiction which I felt was challenging, more descriptive, and well written. Soon after that, my best friend told me I read the same books as her mom! My favorite author at that time was Danielle Steel.

Ever since then I have been chasing the next great read.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

KiMB00P wrote:The first book I actually enjoyed was the Harry Potter series. I had gotten through to middle school with reading without actually enjoying it and reading because I had to. I remember being at my best friends house on her birthday and her mom gave her the latest of the Harry Potter new releases and they discussed some parts of the book and were very excited about it.

I hadn't read it and she let me borrow the first book of the series. It was amazing. I could picture everything that was happening and it took me to through the secret world of wizardry. I finished up the series quickly and went on to read adult fiction which I felt was challenging, more descriptive, and well written. Soon after that, my best friend told me I read the same books as her mom! My favorite author at that time was Danielle Steel.

Ever since then I have been chasing the next great read.
Though I remember vaguely enjoying books at a child, I didn't consider myself as an avid reader. That is, until I read the Harry Potter series. I was in middle when I first picked it up - by this time only the first two I think were out, but it was already getting much hype.

It was for a free choice book report. I may have fudged some aspects of the first Harry Potter because I didn't fully read it the first time around - I did not like books or book reports in middle school. But, later that same year, I decided to give it another go, and I'm so happy I did! It is the reason why I love reading. I'm actually re-reading the series right now! :D
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cinnamon-Paige
Currently Reading: the little friend
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinnamon-paige.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Cinnamon-Paige »

I grew up with a lot of fairytales so I think one of the first stories that was read to me was a fairytale. I can't recall the first book I read for myself, but I do remember reading an Agatha Christie novel and falling in love immediately with her work.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Peta2017
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peta2017.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Peta2017 »

Wow, I read so much as a child but I definitely remember reading books by Enid Blyton, the Nancy Drew series (will still read them) and one title which stands out is 'Don't be silly Mr. Twiddle'
AmeliaLovesBooks
Currently Reading: Cat's Gambit
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amelialovesbooks.html
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan

Post by AmeliaLovesBooks »

"Do you have my purr?" I had an obsession with cats when I was little and I remember insisting my parents teach me to read so that I could read this book about a kitten asking all her animal friends if they had her purr. I would probably still have it except for the fact that I wore it out to its bitter end.
Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Lu-Ellen
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lu-ellen.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Lu-Ellen »

As a child I always had a Roald Dahl book in my hands.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

"Hansel and Grethel" I was elated with the story because of the witche's chocolate house. The illustration reminds a child of chocolate's fantastic taste.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

I remember my mom buying a set of fairy tale books and she'd read it to me every night. As a kid, I remember wanting to have my own prince charming when I grow up *lol* however the first book I ever remember finishing is Harry Potter and philosopher's stone. I guess I was around 10 years old back then.
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”