What lessons have you learned from children's books?

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What lessons have you learned from children's books?

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe all children's books teach valuable lessons. I recall my Reading teacher always asking, "What is the moral lesson of the story?"

Cinderella taught me the value of industry and kindness. Pinocchio taught me the value of honesty. Nemo taught me the value of obedience and the immensity of a father's love. Harry Potter taught me about bravery and loyalty. The lessons are endless and timeless. And the bonus: all those wonderful pictures!
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

Lessons I have learned from children's book is to be honest, be respectfull and other good characteristics that a child should have as a foundation while they are growing.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

When teaching a group of preschoolers for a volunteer lesson, I stumbled upon I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont. I had a lesson where I read the book and we did an activity about appreciating who you are. It was such an awesome book! It taught that no matter what, you should always like (I would stress love) yourself. If you look up the cover, the girl on it is so happy and the kids really ate up this book. The preschool I volunteered at bought me a hardcover of this book and one other when I was done with my volunteer hours. It was such a great experience!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Post by Rachel1019 »

I learned so much from so many different books when I was a child that there is no way that I could state it all. The most important thing that I learned would have to be simply the ability to read. From the time that my mother started reading me children's books to the time that I could fluently read a piece of classical literature, I learned all about the English language.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

In The Cat in the Hat, I learned not to let strangers into the house while my parents are away. I also learned that it is impossible to balance a cake on a rake.

I won't reveal if I ever tried it or not. ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Jessiebessie123 wrote:I loved pippy long socks and it tought me to speak my mind and see the positive in situations.
This great idea remindsme of Marrissa, the geraffee. It was narrated that eventually, she was accepted by kailey and sammy bunny. This manifests conformation to the new system or culture. Marrissa strived to blend for good to be accepted.

-- 14 May 2017, 02:53 --
Lest92 wrote:The acceptance of differences stands out in my memory, but I can't remember specific stories.
Because of the many books that we read. Most of the time, the lessons from these books are screened and be clustered according to themes. This is one of the beauties of our brains. This is the reasons why we can't instantly think of a specific book in the spur of the moment questions.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Rachel1019 wrote:I learned so much from so many different books when I was a child that there is no way that I could state it all. The most important thing that I learned would have to be simply the ability to read. From the time that my mother started reading me children's books to the time that I could fluently read a piece of classical literature, I learned all about the English language.
I absolutely agree with you. The first and most important lesson to be learned from children's books is the ability to read.It definitely teaches about the English language.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Escarilla
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Escarilla »

From the Magic Tree House series, I have learned a lot of history from the point of view from a young child. It makes learning history more interesting and engaging. The characters were relatable and the books were easy to read.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I know a lot of people named Harry Potter. Surprisingly, it was a great series but I can't say that I learned any lessons from the books themselves.

What I did learn about having determination when it comes to writing. J.K Rowling was a struggling writer and look at her now! She's a great success story.

Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

I love reading children's books. I find it especially important to read books to children that share an important message. Some of my favorite topics are bullying and kindness.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
ilovechickens777
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilovechickens777.html
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham

Post by ilovechickens777 »

I definitely think children's books teach lots of valuable lessons. It is not just because of the author writing the theme but also just the simplicity of them. I love reading children's books sometimes, but one of my favourites would be Winny the Pooh.
Latest Review: "OUR LANHAM HISTORY and Related Families" by Clifford W. Lanham
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Many of life's most important lessons (honesty, hard work, friendship, kindness) are learned from children's books. Who was that author who said, "Everything I needed to learn, I learned in kindergarten" (or words to that effect)? Children are cool. It's the adults who complicate the world haha.
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

The Boxcar Children taught me to be resourceful, and that you could still have fun and be happy even if you have nothing.
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I was reminded of the importance of not judging others based on superficial standards. When the kitten laughed after the giraffe for being tall I was really sad.
I guess another children's story that I enjoyed and learnt from was that of a giant that made a wall to block children from playing in his flower garden. When winter came, the only way to restore spring in his garden was to break down the wall and allow the children to play in it.
Storygamer88
Currently Reading: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storygamer88.html
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Storygamer88 »

In Farewell to Manzanar I learned of Shikata ga nai - a Japanese expression meaning you can't help some things in life.
Hi all. I like board games, card games, video games, books (especially children's books and mysteries), stories, cartoons, anime, manga, light novels, animation, and other light-hearted, fun things. Feel free to message if you want to chat!
Latest Review: "A Town Called Gonefor" by Wesley Cris

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”