Illustrations in Children's books

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
rakesh h d
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Illustrations in Children's books

Post by rakesh h d »

Lest92 wrote:Oh yes, illustrations, especially if they are outstanding, have their own magic. I tend to remember the illustrations from the children's books I read as a child (and I chose picture books from our primary school library even though I could read - I just wanted the art).
illustrations along with the pictures is better to understand the subject in easy way to children books

-- 12 Jun 2017, 00:37 --

illustrations makes magic if they are along with the pictures
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Illustrations are everything in children's books! As a child after my mother had read to me from a particular book, I would revisit the book and go through the story in my head with the aid of the pictures.

I feel the illustrations in Farmer Beau's Farm could have been more appealing. Like e-tasana-williams said in the second post they feel computer generated. I love more whimsical illustrations, like in Roald Dahl's books, or Dr. Seuss' books.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

Sometimes, the illustrations are more memorable to me than the book or the illustrations make the book even better. For example, I recently bought a book illustrated by Brett of the Lemony Snicket books, not caring much about its plot, only that it was beautiful.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Zbechamel wrote:Sometimes, the illustrations are more memorable to me than the book or the illustrations make the book even better. For example, I recently bought a book illustrated by Brett of the Lemony Snicket books, not caring much about its plot, only that it was beautiful.
So true! "A picture is worth a thousand words." I really like the illustrations and the Lemony Snicket books too!
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

Illustrations are very important in children's book. At a young age they are very attracted to colours and shapes. It's how the imagination is first built. If you've ever read to a child you would know that they already formulate their own little tale from looking at the pictures before you even begin reading to them.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I think that the quality of illustrations in a children's book, especially ones that have very words per page, that this is really important. They don't need to be beautiful, but they need to be eye-catching and interesting to the target audience's age.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Illustrations are as important as the story, especially for books meant for the pre-school reader. They tickle the imagination and set the mood. If the illustrations are robustly done, and sometimes just plain ugly it always seems to affect the story as well. Rarely will it turn out to be such a gem of an adventure that you could dress it which way you'd want and it would be still good read.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

The illustrations are a huge part of the book, especially since children tend to be visual learners. They also tend to have very short attention span so appealing illustrations are necessary to help keep the children's focus on the book.
joynob24365
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joynob24365.html
Latest Review: Weeping Goes Unheard by Lucia Mann

Post by joynob24365 »

I feel like illustrations are very important in children books. They are very visual. You don't have to have the best drawings. It should represent the content they are reading.
Avishi
Currently Reading: all body bags and no knickers
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avishi.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Reading Device: Pdf

Post by Avishi »

I think in children books illustrations are must. In that way, it will quicker for children to learn WHT they read through pictures. High quality illustrations are great. Eventhough the illustrations are medium as long as it depicts the picture related to the words it enough for children to enjoy.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Micheal Ukewuihe
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micheal-ukewuihe.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micheal Ukewuihe »

Illustrations are really important in children’s book because the help to make the book more interesting.
Favy Moses
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Favy Moses »

I agree that illustration are very important in children book since it provides them a long lasting image/ pictures of the story or lessons told to them in their heads.

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”