Illustrations in Children's books

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Illustrations in Children's books

Post by gali »

How Important Are Illustrations in Children's books? Can a children's book still be considered "good" if the illustrations are not well done? I think that the quality of the pictures is as important as the quality of the actual story itself. What did you think about the illustrations in the book? I thought they were rather sweet.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
e-tasana-williams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-tasana-williams.html
Latest Review: Monkey Mind Madness by Sharon Dorival
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by e-tasana-williams »

I agree that illustrations can make or break a children's book. Some books stay with me because of their illustrations. The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Goodnight Moon, Little Bill books, The Giving Tree, anything by Dr. Seuss...all of these have wonderful illustrations in different styles.

For me, the illustrations in this book were a bit flat. They had a feel of being computer generated and did not draw me into the story.
Once you learn to read, you will be forever free ~ Frederick Douglas
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

Being an artists, I think the illustrations are just as important as the writing. They really go hand in hand. Children count on the pictures to tell them a story just as much as the words, or at least I did. That's why good illustrations are a key to success for a children's book. The illustrations were sweet just like you said. I can understand what e-tasana-williams is saying about them being computer generated though. Not that there is necessarily anything wrong with that because computers can still create some great images, but I have always been a fan of being able to see the artistry in an image.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I agree with you, the illustrations are just as important.

As I didn't choose to read the whole thing, the only one I saw was the first one. I wasn't a fan. I've always (seriously, always) been very particular about illustrations, and this just isn't a style I like. They were cute, though, especially for the target age group.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Great question! I agree with others, illustrations are very important in children's books, especially the younger ones.

I loved the illustrations here. They were fun, cute, and I believe would be appealing to preschoolers and Kindergartners (which I think is the target audience).
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Illustrations are important in children's picture books. Honestly, I prefer for there to be illustrations in older books for children as well. Humans are visual creatures and some of us are visual learners. Some children comprehend the story better if there are illustrations for them to visualize the story with. Illustrations appeal to all learning styles and abilities. That is why we need them in books, even in books for teens and adults.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

Oh yes, illustrations, especially if they are outstanding, have their own magic. I tend to remember the illustrations from the children's books I read as a child (and I chose picture books from our primary school library even though I could read - I just wanted the art).
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

Illustrations give a mark to the children's mind. It sharpens their memory of the what, who, where and why in the story. A story can be pictureless but their memory span is lesser than reading with illustrations.Remember children love pictures, illustrations especially with colors! Me, i used the "picture story" technique in teaching.I found it effective in reading comprehension and retaining memory about a story.Story with illustrations stay forever in their minds.
Guppy
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-guppy.html
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin

Post by Guppy »

Illustrations are important because they give visual clues for beginning readers. I'm not a fan of this kind of art, I prefer paintings or mixed media collages for children's books. That being said, the target audience will be growing up with ipads and 3D animation so the illustration style in the book are spot on for today's children.
Latest Review: "Aftermath" by Gary Gaudin
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think illustrations are a very important part of a book, especially a kids book. Most kids who start off can't read very well and often rely on pictures to help them understand what is going on. Other kids don't know how to read and just look at the pictures for help. I remember babysitting a little girl and she loved to point at the pictures in a particular books and tell me about what she thought was happening in the book. I thought it was pretty cute and neat how she used her imagination to make up stories.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Ceciltrixiedom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =164903">A Very Secret Affair</a>
Currently Reading: The Language Of Flowers
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ceciltrixiedom »

That's true. A kid can even tell a story by looking at pictures. It enhances their interest in reading the story.
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

Visual is the best form of inprinting at such a young age so i think it is essential.
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

The pictures in children's books really make or break the story. I agree with e-tasana-williams who said the pictures in Farmer Beau's Farm had a computer-generated feel to them. I wasn't a fan of the pictures, especially the ones featuring people. They gave me a weird, uncanny-valley sort of vibe. It makes me wonder how the pictures would be received by actual kids.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

Since children don't know how to read yet when these books are read to them, I think it is very important to have good illustrations to keep them engaged and interested.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Children are visual learners. While they do not know how to read yet, the visual presentations are important because it is through the pictures that they can relate to the story. An angry face will send them the message that the character is angry.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”