Meeting Someone New

Discuss the May 2017 Book of the Month, Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger.

View Farmer Beau's Farm on Bookshelves
Rachel1019
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel1019.html
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather

Re: Meeting Someone New

Post by Rachel1019 »

e-tasana-williams wrote:
hsimone wrote:Kailey and Sammy were reluctant to become friends with Malissa, at first. They changed their minds once they realized that everyone needs a home and someone to love them.

Have you ever experienced a time when you met someone new and was reluctant at first to become friends? At what age was this? Did you ever become friends with this person? Why or why not?
It's funny you should ask this question. As a child I think making friends was not such a big deal...we were thrown into situations where everyone joined in to play a game, or work on a project, etc. As an adult I find it more difficult. The situations don't always present themselves, and making friends requires more initiative be taken. One particular situation involves the mom of my son's classmate. I was reluctant to approach her at first because of time constraints, lifestyle differences, etc. But through her initiative we have become friends, and now our children spend the night at each other's homes.
I really appreciate that you brought this up, because it is exactly how I feel about meeting other people as an adult. As children you have a much broader friend group, but I believe that as we grow older it becomes harder to find new friends and so we are more careful about those we allow into our lives.
Latest Review: "The Understanding" by Dennis Pennefather
GCalkins
Currently Reading: The Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 652
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by GCalkins »

It has absolutely become more difficult for me to develop friendships as I've grown older. I was not a particularly outgoing child, but I think it's easier to slip into friendships with your peers when you're in school and socializing is actually emphasized. My two closest friendships, now as an adult in my mid-twenties, are ones I developed as a child. I've grown more particular about the kind of people I want to spend to time with and my "socializing" efforts are somewhat more limited than when I was a child or a college student. I've become decidedly more introverted and set in my ways as I've aged. Something I'm working on!
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

This always happens to me. One of my fears is rejection. This makes me reluctant to approach someone but I also reserve a room for friendship if I feel accepted by that person.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:This always happens to me. One of my fears is rejection. This makes me reluctant to approach someone but I also reserve a room for friendship if I feel accepted by that person.
That must be what I fear (at or least, part of what I fear), as well - rejection. But, like you, I am always willing to open up to a friendship if I feel accepted. Thank you for pointing that out because I couldn't pinpoint it before.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

Sometimes, I have to trust my instinct about a new person or about a stranger. I hired a staff in my office even if I have had doubts. In the end, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt because I tried to rationalize that maybe, she is not egoistic at all and maybe she will perform well. She turned out to be one of my problems.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Donnavila Marie01 wrote:Sometimes, I have to trust my instinct about a new person or about a stranger. I hired a staff in my office even if I have had doubts. In the end, I decided to give her the benefit of the doubt because I tried to rationalize that maybe, she is not egoistic at all and maybe she will perform well. She turned out to be one of my problems.
I like that you have her a fair chance when meeting her. Sometimes it's easier to form an opinion about someone without taking the time to get to know them first.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Prof Edith
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Prof Edith »

i dont really hav a problem meeting someone New... but sometimes there is caution
PAULINE MUKIRAI
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by PAULINE MUKIRAI »

8) I love meeting and making new friends where ever i go Because God is love.
and we are His Children.
Lest92 wrote:I'm very people-shy so making friends is not easy for me. I tend to keep to the few I do have.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

As a very young child, it was easy to make friends but once school started it was not so easy. It's never really been easy since then. I find it much easier meeting people now as I have gotten older and more confident but it still takes a lot for me to make very close friends.
peace starts with a smile...
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

hsimone wrote:
Have you ever experienced a time when you met someone new and was reluctant at first to become friends? At what age was this? Did you ever become friends with this person? Why or why not?
I seem to be reluctant to become friends with anyone I meet for the first time. I usually have my guard up and don't trust people easily. Nowadays it seems like my peers are eager to add you on social media or exchange numbers to text each other as soon as they meet each other. I am still not comfortable doing this right away. Sometimes I can tell if I will click with someone, and will make an effort to get to know them better. There were times when I thought I wanted to become friends with someone who ended up being too demanding and dependent on our friendship. It was too much unnecessaryeffort to continue with this type of friendship for me.
rhiza021
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhiza021.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by rhiza021 »

This happens to me almost all of the time. Sometimes you will meet someone new who seemed like you have very different personalities with each other. You will never know if you will really "click" with a certain person unless you'll try to chat them up and see if you really can become friends.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I consider myself a sociable person; however, I occasionally meet someone that gives me a bad vibration and it is a little hard to become friends with. Interestingly enough, it happens with women never with men. Why does this happen? I do not know. Nevertheless, almost always, it turns out that person is not good.
Ashie
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ashie »

I was 13-14 and I met this guy that was reluctant to become my friend but I considered him a friend from the get go.
Papercut
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Papercut »

gali wrote:When I was little I was reluctant to become friends with anyone, but it became easier as an adult.
That's the exact opposite of me! I was a cheeky and jolly kid. I was called a "tomboy" because I used to hang out with boys and play prank games with them. Now, I got a hard time on how to begin a conversation with anyone and how to approach them. I was 5 when I was a social butterfly.
PRAXIDES
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 98862">The 11.05 Murders</a>
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praxides.html
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Post by PRAXIDES »

As a kid I was shy I did not make friends. I'd rather stay in my room and read than play with other children a character that continued even to adulthood. My best friend is of over 15 years when we were in high school she approached me and became friendly at first I was reluctant but with time I started bonding with her and I can say we are best of friends upto date.
Latest Review: "Missing Pieces" by Christine Betts

Return to “Discuss "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger”