What was your favorite book as a child?

For April 2017 we will be reading Children's Books.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: What was your favorite book as a child?

Post by Manang Muyang »

I cannot recall the books from when I was very young but what easily come to mind are the Nancy Drew adventures. These books awoke in me the love for the mystery and suspense genre. I envied Nancy her quick wit and adventurous spirit.

I and my classmates back then swapped books and ticked off the books we have read from a list, with everybody claiming she has read more than the others. It was a status symbol in our day. I wonder if there are still Nancy Drew books out there. I would like to have at least one to show my grandchildren and say, "Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away ..."
sweetpinabel
Currently Reading: The Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetpinabel.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by sweetpinabel »

I was really into series as a kid. So, my favorite book would have probably been a three-way tie between The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, and The Two Towers.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
paulilpn59
Currently Reading: The Copywriter's Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by paulilpn59 »

I had a lot of favorite books--I learned to read when I was three. I have loved books since then. I'd have to say my all time favorite book to read as a child, was "Maggie-Now", by Betty Smith. I have most of her books in my library. Mrs. Smith's books have common theme-her characters are predominantly Irish Catholics. There are some non-Irish Catholics sprinkled in for flavor. Her books are rich in history. I highly recommend reading her books. :D
cstegmil
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cstegmil.html
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish

Post by cstegmil »

I loved the Nancy Drew series and The Secret Garden..... that book stands out for me as the first book I remember not wanting to put down & was sad when I finished it
Latest Review: "Of Elven Blood" by Leslie Fish
Abdullai Rogers
Currently Reading: Three weeks in spring
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Abdullai Rogers »

My favorite book was MC HUGIUAN THE GREAT
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I really liked R.L. Stein when I was little. Then The Giver after I read it in fourth grade.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Subnavigation54
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Subnavigation54 »

Ferenc Molnar, The Paul Street boys
shish_by_design
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 66">Strong Heart</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shish-by-design.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by shish_by_design »

captured by raiders.its a no brainer. i fell in love with this book that i used to read it during class time and even got punished for it by one of my teachers;) :lol: :D
jwalker73
Currently Reading: The Good Mother
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jwalker73.html
Latest Review: The Truth About Parallel Lines by Jill D. Block
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jwalker73 »

Before I could read for myself my father would read me a bedtime story each night. I had a fairy-tale book full of wonderful stories and every evening I would sit with him as he would go through the list so I could choose one. He must have had a lot of patience as, without fail, my choice would always be one of two stories - Beauty and the Beast or The Wizard of Oz. Once I could read well enough my favourite books were the Milly-Molly-Mandy Stories by Joyce Lankester Brisley.
duatibashir
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92041">Can I Be Frank?</a>
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by duatibashir »

GULLIVER'S TRAVELS was my favorite childhood book.
I was amazed later on in life when I watched a movie of the book. I highly recommend the movie to you
Nina Rose
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nina Rose »

Alice in Wonderland is my favorite book as a child. My dad gave me a hard bound,colorful pop up book of this. I like how it is intriguing,interesting and magical and you wonder if the wonderland was real or just a dream.
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

Harry Potter was huge for me, but I wasn't really a child anymore by the time I started reading them. I LOVED the Bailey School Kids series. The American Girl books (favorites were Samantha, Molly, and Felicity), Little House books, Goosebumps (even though they scared me half to death), Wayside School series...basically, I liked series.
violet-trey19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by violet-trey19 »

I like fairy tales in my childhood.
Shelf Fulfilled
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shelf Fulfilled »

My favorites were the "Little House on the Prairie" books. Every few years over the summer I read them all again!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

When I was very young, I absolutely adored all of the Dr. Seuss books. I always found the funny words and rhymes to be so entertaining.

Return to “April 2017 Genre Discussion”