Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Re: Thoughts on the possibility of a female God?

Post by raikyuu »

jennyfalcone62809 wrote:There is only 1 true God. The God of the Christian Bible. God is male and sent His son in His image to save the world from sin. Someone stated that they believe in gender equality, but if someone is male, they are male. Jesus is and was male in all the history books. Just because someone feels there should be gender equality does not mean you can just change the sex of someone from what it is. Although now a days, people seem to do what they want with surgery.

God is, was and forever will be MALE!

Well, this is a good conversation finisher, don't you think?
-rk
TheRavensWoods
Currently Reading: Faithful
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenswoods.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by TheRavensWoods »

Swara Sangeet wrote:Actually in Hindu mythology, there ARE female Gods. I believe it is the same in Roman, Greek and Egyptian mythology as well. I do not believe in God, but I do believe in gender equality!
I love what you said here! This is exactly how I feel.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

TheRavensWoods wrote:
Swara Sangeet wrote:Actually in Hindu mythology, there ARE female Gods. I believe it is the same in Roman, Greek and Egyptian mythology as well. I do not believe in God, but I do believe in gender equality!
I love what you said here! This is exactly how I feel.
Thank you so much!
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

In the book is referred as she but in reality God is neither he nor she. I think God is an energy which neither be created nor be destroyed.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

This is one of the things that actually got me reading a sentence twice. Because when we talk about God, in general, there is always an innate sense that we are talking about a male entity. That the author chose to make it a She, and didn't go with other ambiguous words, felt good.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

as a Christian I only believe in a God who exists in three forms i.e the father,the son and the holy spirit. having said that, there is no need for me to draw differences between a female and a male God
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Brenda Kiptim
Currently Reading: Kite Runner
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-kiptim.html
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris

Post by Brenda Kiptim »

Hello, I believe in female gods... and their are many communities with female gods. When it comes to God with regards to Christianity I believe that God transcends beyond gender and the people who wrote the Bible put him as a man because it was a patriarchal society. However i do not think that God, if there is God is limited to gender
P. S i have not read this particular book but i am interested in the question
Latest Review: "Breaking Sandcastles" by Kirk Burris
Yemurai
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yemurai.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Yemurai »

I believe God is male, from the Lord's prayer in the Bible, it starts with "Our Father".
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

in terms of religion this book was really confusing. God was referred to as she, isn't it supposed to be goddess then. I also didn't understand if this was a made up religion or an existing one.
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

My belief is that God has no gender. After all, He is superior to every being.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

If God had a gender, the purpose of God would be defeated. God is often refered to a a “he” simply because men were viewed as benefactors to the family. Especially in the case of the Holy Trinity, it just works. Women have a traditionally different role in society that has often been upheld by God. He knew that Joan of Arc had to dress up as a man to take control of the army.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
TheGhastlyGrimoire
Currently Reading: And The Wolf Shall Dwell
Bookshelf Size: 663
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theghastlygrimoire.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by TheGhastlyGrimoire »

TobiOrNotTobi wrote: 08 Jun 2017, 21:53 I mean, there are goddesses (female gods), but if you're talking about who Christians worship, that will most likely not be true. In the Bible, God is referred to as a "he," so there is no possibility of God (if that's who you were referring to) being a female.

I believe if God was a female, there would be a major difference on views on men and women. Just think if females were supposed to be the head of households, the rulers, the politicians, etc. before they had any kind of role in society.
It’s also worth noting that the Bible in use today has been heavily edited for hundreds of years by men; unless we are able to read and understand the original texts, anything is possible. Even before the days of the Bible, men were held in higher regard than women. Even in religions where goddesses are openly worshipped, history leans toward patriarchy rather than matriarchy.

Personally I’m open to the idea of it, though I am not Christian. My better half, on the other hand, does believe God to be a woman. It’s an interesting idea, certainly.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

As bible is something that was written by men, it depicts God and Jesus as male because women were seen as weak and unimportant at that time. I would like to think that godlike qualities would not depend on the sex of the god. That being a female would not be seen as a limitation of any kind. This is question for a long philosophical conversation. Are women that different from men? And would those differences apply to a being of presumed perfection?
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'd say that a female god would make more sense, given mother earth and women/ mothers are seen as creators of life. Honestly the stories of the bible have been edited and changed by men. We will never have definitive answers. The nurturing nature of a woman posed against the wrath of a woman would make more sense in the long run.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

God, according to most religions, is a Supreme Being whose incorporeal nature should lack gender. If he's a man in the ancient texts, it's due to the fact that those who wrote them were men belonging to a patrial-based society. I don't remember if God ever appears directly before a woman, but perhaps in those cases it presents itself as a woman. After all, the major players in the Bible with connections to God are often men...

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”