What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: What is your most memorable encounter with your father?

Post by Jax14 »

Teaching me how to fish and letting me make the mistakes I needed to make in order to learn...
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Jax14 wrote:Teaching me how to fish and letting me make the mistakes I needed to make in order to learn...
That's a great dad! I always wanted to go fishing with mine but neither one of us knows how lol.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Post by bluegreenmarina »

My father died almost 10 years ago but the last time I saw him in person was at my college graduation, which was definitely a memorable day!
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

During my childhood, my dad worked two jobs and was almost never home. However, I remember one evening he got off work early and made a blanket fort with my sister and I while we watch wrestling on t.v. That eventually became our Saturday night ritual if my dad was home early enough. Another memory is sledding in the winter.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I have many great memories of my dad. One of them is going into town with my dad on a Saturday. He would do his errands and then take me to a gas station and treat me to a snack and a drink. That is memorable because it didn't happen that often since money was tight.
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

My most memorable encounter with my dad is the time I let him read some of my manuscripts for a dark fantasy novel I wrote about a Succubus demon. He was enjoying it until his very British, prudish self, reached a sex scene (not even an overly graphic one) He gave me a look like he had no clue who his daughter was! It was hilarious. He said 'Ok, no more of that for me, I think'. I was rolling around laughing because his cheeks were pink!

As his youngest daughter, he likes to think of me as the innocent baby of the family....think I shattered that well and truly :)
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

When I told my dad that I was pregnant with my daughter and I saw him trying to suppress his tears but I know, I just know...he doesn't want me to see him crying. And I was so touched by that simplest moment because I know he cares and he loves me more than I know he does.
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I love my father, but I cannot shake off one particular bad memory from my childhood. I was about seven at the time, and absolutely idolized my father. We had been in the car, waiting out the traffic of getting into the overcrowded church. I don't even remember what I had been doing, but I do remember that he had called me stupid. It had made me cry- silently of course. It hurt a lot because my mother was the disciplinarian. I couldn't believe that my perfect father could call me something that was equivalent to the F-word when I was seven. Ever since then, I have been very sensitive when it comes to the word "stupid".
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Vickyoreo86 wrote:My most memorable encounter with my dad is the time I let him read some of my manuscripts for a dark fantasy novel I wrote about a Succubus demon. He was enjoying it until his very British, prudish self, reached a sex scene (not even an overly graphic one) He gave me a look like he had no clue who his daughter was! It was hilarious. He said 'Ok, no more of that for me, I think'. I was rolling around laughing because his cheeks were pink!

As his youngest daughter, he likes to think of me as the innocent baby of the family....think I shattered that well and truly :)
That is an awesome memory! Also, it feels really good to have your loved ones read your work! I write children stories and my dad barely reads anything (I have no idea how I'm his daughter :roll2: ). So it's hard to get my dad to read my stories and get his opinion about it. It's great that your dad did that for you. :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I have an excellent father. He spent time with me when I was growing up, and he is still a major source of support now that I am an adult. Because of this, I have an endless supply of memorable experiences with him. He drove me to horse-riding lessons, he took me camping and hiking, and he helped me excel in school by teaching me at home, so I had a head start in my classes.

I would say, though, my most memorable moment was when my first dog passed away. After the burial, my father came up to me, handed me my dog's collar, and hugged me tighter than anyone has ever hugged me before. I was 17, and it was the first time I had seen my father cry. I will never forget that moment, and I look back on it with mixed emotions.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Natalie Charlene wrote:I have an excellent father. He spent time with me when I was growing up, and he is still a major source of support now that I am an adult. Because of this, I have an endless supply of memorable experiences with him. He drove me to horse-riding lessons, he took me camping and hiking, and he helped me excel in school by teaching me at home, so I had a head start in my classes.

I would say, though, my most memorable moment was when my first dog passed away. After the burial, my father came up to me, handed me my dog's collar, and hugged me tighter than anyone has ever hugged me before. I was 17, and it was the first time I had seen my father cry. I will never forget that moment, and I look back on it with mixed emotions.
That is absolutely wonderful! You had a great father!

Diana Atsieno
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Diana Atsieno »

:D :D :D .the most memorable encounter with my dad i think is him being on my side since my infant stage to my adult hood all the good advices,powerful and exciting trips and him being my dad is a blessing.
ericklein53
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ericklein53 »

I remember going fishing with my dad on huntington harbor and throwing my fishing pole in the water and catching another guy's fishing pole
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I have enjoyed the time my father and I have spent by ourselves in general. Every time we go play tennis together or go up to see my grandparents just the two of us. We often argue like brother and sister, but I think we both just like having someone to argue with without getting made at each other. He is always the one who helps me with homework assignments as well. I just enjoy all of the moments that we have together.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
lilytepait
Currently Reading: A Haunted Murder (A Lin Coffin Mystery Book 1
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by lilytepait »

I wasn't with my dad that time, but my dad was spreading to the town that I have a boyfriend. which really I don't have one.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”