About God in "Raven's Peak"

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Re: About God in "Raven's Peak"

Post by James Craft »

dhomespot wrote:It did not bother me having God as "she". I look at it as a personal preference. God is also known as Alpha and Omega. My opinion is that we will not know until we get to where we are going.
Yeah, it isn't something we can know or necessarily need to know, so it comes back to personal beliefs.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
reneareviews
Currently Reading: mindfulness: a journal
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneareviews.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by reneareviews »

That struck me as odd because I always assumed God to be "gender-less" in a way. This of course is my own personal assumption not backed up by anything. I just always assumed that he is mostly referred to as a "he" the same way people in a whole are referred to as "man" or "mankind". I really wanted an explanation just to have something new to think about.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

reneareviews wrote:That struck me as odd because I always assumed God to be "gender-less" in a way. This of course is my own personal assumption not backed up by anything. I just always assumed that he is mostly referred to as a "he" the same way people in a whole are referred to as "man" or "mankind". I really wanted an explanation just to have something new to think about.
It's an interesting thought. If you are coming from the Christian point of view, Jesus Christ is obviously a he as he was a man. God the father, though... Well, I've always thought about him as a he, but... I don't know.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Rinsola-Usman wrote:I believe they were referring to Krishna. Because Haatim also mentioned Krishna when banishing the demon with the prayers his father father thought him.
Interesting theory! I think that it's easy to forget that the story incorporates many religions.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

Aldonza wrote When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
I wonder maybe Council and Hunter's Order believe in the Aramaic Holy Spirit? :eusa-think:

Since God is a spirit there may be no gender attached to God. But since in the bible, God prefers He rather than She. May be some religions would rather refer to God as She?
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Chitopogi wrote:Aldonza wrote When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
I wonder maybe Council and Hunter's Order believe in the Aramaic Holy Spirit? :eusa-think:

Since God is a spirit there may be no gender attached to God. But since in the bible, God prefers He rather than She. May be some religions would rather refer to God as She?
I know there are definitely people who believe God to be female. There are also groups that believe him to be genderless. It's just interesting how everyone has a different belief on what God looks like. Honestly it's kind of pointless to think about. He is beyond human comprehension.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I honestly was wondering this too. I was actually kind of hoping they were going to expand on that, but perhaps that will be in the next book. I think it's interesting though, and could add something to the story. I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about that.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
John Cand
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-cand.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by John Cand »

I would like to see how the author develops the theology in the series because he seems to use a biblical demon but not the biblical God who is a Father (obviously He)
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Maybe this means that further down the line, maybe God herself(as stated in the book) will make an appearance. I mean, in general, God is considered to be a male entity. The author chose to specify the gender which means there must be a reason why the Council goes with 'She' while the rest of the world is at 'He'.
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I also think they believe in the Aramaic spirit
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
fayetino
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fayetino.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by fayetino »

That just confused me to no end. I would have realky wanted an explanation. I really enjoyed this book but I would have wanted the religion to be a bigger part of the first book instead of just demon hunting
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I never felt any difference because of the 'She' pronoun. I thought they it's just a difference in their culture and beliefs.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
nanzirihadijjahyasin
Currently Reading: Heartache - Bad Boy Vibes
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanzirihadijjahyasin.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Part II by B. Truly

Post by nanzirihadijjahyasin »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote: 05 Apr 2017, 12:44
Aldonsa wrote:When Arthur and Frieda mentioned God they always said "she". Why "she"? What do you think?
To be honest, this did not resound with me. I think of God as an entity outside of the bounds of gender identity. Does it matter? I don't know. Maybe it will be explained later on in a future installment.
I agree I think God has no identity. I also was puzzled when God is mentioned as She.
Irishmom
Currently Reading: Heartaches 3
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irishmom.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Irishmom »

I think 1) this was done as a counterpoint to the traditional, Judeo-Christian, "he," or 2) there is some kind of goddess-culture connection going on.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. "~Groucho Marx
grahase71
Currently Reading: My trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grahase71.html
Latest Review: Trip to Adele by R I Alyaseer and A I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by grahase71 »

I agree with Jennifer. I caught the gender thing with 'God', but it didn't bother me. I did wonder how many would notice it and what reactions it would bring out. I don't believe God has a gender----what would be the use for it??? I was raised Missionary Baptist, but I'm not sure what religion I would call myself as I don't agree or disagree with all beliefs of any religion. Maybe, that makes me not religious at all. I don't believe in ghosts but I do believe in demons and I do believe in God. I just don't believe God has a body in the form that we have, so gender is moot. I know the Bible teaches us that man was made in Gods' image; but the Bible has been translated so many times into so many different languages, just how much of it may have been lost in translation???? Either way, Vermont Reviews has my vote----the author can say what he/she wants to say and always call it fiction. :)

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”