Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#61 by Jax14
» 17 Apr 2017, 06:34

The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!
Publishing Contest ~ 2 Votes ~ View Jax14's Entry
User avatar
Jax14
 
Posts: 152
Joined: 04 Sep 2015, 03:50
Location: South Africa
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 472 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#62 by kandscreeley
» 17 Apr 2017, 08:17

Jax14 wrote:The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!


I don't mind romance, but it has to be built up for me. It can't just all of a sudden boom there together. It leaves you feeling like, "What just happened??" I don't like that. Not realistic.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Golden Legacy" by Robert James Glider
User avatar
kandscreeley
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 51%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#63 by bobRas
» 17 Apr 2017, 08:23

kandscreeley wrote:
Jax14 wrote:The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!


I don't mind romance, but it has to be built up for me. It can't just all of a sudden boom there together. It leaves you feeling like, "What just happened??" I don't like that. Not realistic.


I think there needs to be a distinction between (a) couples that the authors wants us to believe will be together for a significant amount of time (or "forever") after the book ends, and (b) couples that simply hookup after some initial attraction. (a) would arguably need quite some build up, while (b) does not so much, right?
User avatar
bobRas
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 12 Oct 2016, 16:49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#64 by kandscreeley
» 17 Apr 2017, 08:41

bobRas wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
Jax14 wrote:The romance is not absolutely necessary but I like it when it's unexpected-there is nothing worse than an author putting two characters together just for the sake of it and building it up and building it up and 500 pages into the book they get together and the rest of the characters are surprised it happened!


I don't mind romance, but it has to be built up for me. It can't just all of a sudden boom there together. It leaves you feeling like, "What just happened??" I don't like that. Not realistic.


I think there needs to be a distinction between (a) couples that the authors wants us to believe will be together for a significant amount of time (or "forever") after the book ends, and (b) couples that simply hookup after some initial attraction. (a) would arguably need quite some build up, while (b) does not so much, right?


Yes, however, I have read books where there doesn't even seem to be attraction. The author doesn't even write in an attraction for scenario (b), and the couple is all of a sudden in the bedroom. It's just weird and awkward. For example, in Raven's Peak, if Mr. Cole had written them stopping in the middle of their road trip at a hotel just to have sex. I have seen that done even though there really was no indication of any "spark."
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Golden Legacy" by Robert James Glider
User avatar
kandscreeley
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 51%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#65 by bobRas
» 17 Apr 2017, 08:50

kandscreeley wrote:
bobRas wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
I don't mind romance, but it has to be built up for me. It can't just all of a sudden boom there together. It leaves you feeling like, "What just happened??" I don't like that. Not realistic.


I think there needs to be a distinction between (a) couples that the authors wants us to believe will be together for a significant amount of time (or "forever") after the book ends, and (b) couples that simply hookup after some initial attraction. (a) would arguably need quite some build up, while (b) does not so much, right?


Yes, however, I have read books where there doesn't even seem to be attraction. The author doesn't even write in an attraction for scenario (b), and the couple is all of a sudden in the bedroom. It's just weird and awkward. For example, in Raven's Peak, if Mr. Cole had written them stopping in the middle of their road trip at a hotel just to have sex. I have seen that done even though there really was no indication of any "spark."


I'm not sure I understand correctly. I thought we were talking about romance and not sex? People have sex for plenty other reasons than attraction or romance or "spark", right? I mean, I agree that it would be weird and awkward for these characters in particular, but for others, I could imagine it. It depends on characterization.
User avatar
bobRas
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 12 Oct 2016, 16:49
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#66 by bookowlie
» 17 Apr 2017, 09:31

I prefer no romance unless it fits well within the plot. This is hard to do. Authors too often throw in a flirtation or romance between the main characters. It sometimes takes away from the central plot, such as a mystery, thriller, or political intrigue.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
User avatar
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
 
Posts: 5934
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 09:52
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 227 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#67 by Amagine
» 17 Apr 2017, 15:52

bookowlie wrote:I prefer no romance unless it fits well within the plot. This is hard to do. Authors too often throw in a flirtation or romance between the main characters. It sometimes takes away from the central plot, such as a mystery, thriller, or political intrigue.


I will admit that I hate when a romance destroys the plot. I love having romance in a story but not at the expense of the plot.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
User avatar
Amagine
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
Location: Lost in My Imagination
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#68 by godreaujea
» 20 Apr 2017, 06:32

I LOVE the fact that there is no romance. I think it shows integrity for the story and for the characters that there isn't a romance. It shows how strong and independent Abigail is too, or maybe just how messed up she is that she can't have a relationship haha.
godreaujea's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
User avatar
godreaujea
 
Posts: 243
Joined: 20 Oct 2016, 13:37
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#69 by mariakavo88
» 20 Apr 2017, 07:52

I was a little surprised by this as well. While reading I kept thinking that it may happen, but it did not disappoint me when it didn't. It was nice to read a story that didn't form to the typical roles of the main male and female fall in love. With that being said I do not think it is out of the question for the other books in the series.
mariakavo88's Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
User avatar
mariakavo88
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 12 Apr 2017, 15:26
Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#70 by cherryalakei
» 23 Apr 2017, 12:45

I'm an incurable romantic, so I love romance in my books. I's a fundamental checkpoint for me, that if theres romance involved, chances are I'll be more invested in the story. However, that being said- I have read an enjoyed books with minimal romance. This is probably the first book I've read that entertained me well enough to hold my interest without any. I guess it's possible that they could be exploring that in the next book, but I didn't really read any romantic tension at all in this book so if the future books do go that route, it'd be interesting to see how. I honestly didn't mind the lack of love between our mains and really appreciated their banter a lot more. I feel like the story is kind of heavy and romance just didn't really fit with the overall tone.
cherryalakei's Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
User avatar
cherryalakei
 
Posts: 71
Joined: 07 Jan 2017, 19:13
Location: Pittsburgh
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home for Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 93%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#71 by CrescentMoon
» 25 Apr 2017, 13:06

I actually do like romance in action books but only when it's done right. Sometimes, the romance in non-romantic genres can actually get overpowering and mushy and ruin the story for me but if the romance is more of a side plot and adds to the story, I like it a lot. I definitely think that if not overdone, the romance between Abigail and Haatim would be really sweet.
CrescentMoon's Latest Review: "And the Greatest of These" by Joe Pritchard
User avatar
CrescentMoon
 
Posts: 685
Joined: 08 May 2014, 22:50
Currently Reading: Qualify
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#72 by normindrasarawi
» 26 Apr 2017, 07:24

Adding some romance without ruining the main plot gives an extra excitement to the story. However, the book is still great without it and I think it’s unique. So for me, either way is acceptable.
normindrasarawi's Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
User avatar
normindrasarawi
 
Posts: 25
Joined: 13 Mar 2017, 00:11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#73 by James Craft
» 26 Apr 2017, 07:45

normindrasarawi wrote:Adding some romance without ruining the main plot gives an extra excitement to the story. However, the book is still great without it and I think it’s unique. So for me, either way is acceptable.


Yeah, I agree. I would like to see romance develop organically and not worry too much about it just sort of popping up.
User avatar
James Craft
 
Posts: 329
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 11:41
Location: United states
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#74 by Amagine
» 26 Apr 2017, 10:53

Romance can be added to the story of it is done at a realistic pace. I agree that they shouldn't be rushed into a romance. A slow, development of feelings would be nice.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
User avatar
Amagine
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
Location: Lost in My Imagination
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#75 by Sarah_Khan
» 26 Apr 2017, 17:15

I love romance in an action book! I think it just adds another dimension to the novel. As many have mentioned before, since this book is part of a series romance could be added along the way.
Sarah_Khan's Latest Review: "Savage" by Andrew Jackson
User avatar
Sarah_Khan
 
Posts: 582
Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 11:56
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading: The Kiss of Deception
Bookshelf Size: 259 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 88 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Navigation

Return Home » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole