Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#31 by James Craft
» 06 Apr 2017, 07:20

Lest92 wrote:I think it's refreshing when there is no romance because it's become so expected in stories.

Yeah. I don't know when it became an expectation, especially in Hollywood. Maybe it was the idea 'if we're paying for these expensive actors, people want to see them kiss!'
James Craft's Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
James Craft

Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#32 by innocentdemand
» 07 Apr 2017, 03:09

I'm with a bunch of other people who find it nice when a book doesn't add any romance to it. I don't think it's ever necessary if the book isn't specifically labeled as romance. There are plenty of books about that or which contain it, and having one that doesn't makes it a bit of a stand-out work.
innocentdemand's Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
innocentdemand

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 120%

Post Number:#33 by Wasif Ahmed
» 07 Apr 2017, 05:37

Among the reasons why books like Percy Jackson, Divergent and The Hunger Games are best sellers is because of the fantastic romantic story. I do like books with romance in them even though romance isn't the book's genre.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
Wasif Ahmed's Latest Review: "Maram" by DR.Abdulrahman Saied Abubaker
Wasif Ahmed

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 200 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#34 by kandscreeley
» 07 Apr 2017, 07:45

Wasif Ahmed wrote:Among the reasons why books like Percy Jackson, Divergent and The Hunger Games are best sellers is because of the fantastic romantic story. I do like books with romance in them even though romance isn't the book's genre.

I don't necessarily agree that they are best sellers because they have romance. I think they are well-written books full of action. That's why they are best sellers. I bet if you left the romance out, they would still be best sellers. I could be wrong though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 98 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Post Number:#35 by va2016
» 07 Apr 2017, 08:42

gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?

I am perfectly okay with skipping romance for keeping up with the action thriller speed.
In fact, I never missed romance in this novel, though there were circumstances where
romance could have happened (in Haatim's house, in the Raven's Peak cottage, etc).

I personally feel that romance and action thriller should not be mixed up, as romance
could slow down the speed of the thriller novel. A great example of this is "Escape"

Read my review here and feel free to comment:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=42292

There are too many instances of romance in 'Escape' which makes the
novel sluggish and dragging, and makes it unworthy of an action thriller.

Thanks for asking!
va2016's Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
va2016

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 52%

Post Number:#36 by MsMartha
» 07 Apr 2017, 09:19

Personally, I like the lack of romance so far, but I have to admit that I've also been wondering if a romance between Haatim and Abigail will happen at some point. So far she seems to be more like a big sister than a lover to Haatim. I'm thinking that maybe they have an important connection or relationship that isn't romance, and from the other comments, it looks like we'll need to read the next book for find out more...
MsMartha

Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 96 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 76%

Post Number:#37 by James Craft
» 07 Apr 2017, 09:36

MsMartha wrote:Personally, I like the lack of romance so far, but I have to admit that I've also been wondering if a romance between Haatim and Abigail will happen at some point. So far she seems to be more like a big sister than a lover to Haatim. I'm thinking that maybe they have an important connection or relationship that isn't romance, and from the other comments, it looks like we'll need to read the next book for find out more...

I agree that I think their semi-plutonic relationship works out really well, but the farther I get into the story the more I think maybe something will develop. They are good together.
James Craft's Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
James Craft

Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#38 by Rinsola-Usman
» 07 Apr 2017, 19:55

Adding romance to it will make it perfect. It will be nice if they can keep their personalities and friendship at the same time. The Sparks are there :D
Rinsola-Usman

Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#39 by TinaFaye
» 07 Apr 2017, 23:07

Of course, a little romance is always welcome. To me the lack of romance in a book makes it less real. Everyone has someone that they "romance" with.
TinaFaye

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

Post Number:#40 by Kitkat3
» 08 Apr 2017, 00:44

I really liked the fact that a romance didn't develop; I feel like it would have taken away from the story. That honestly wasn't what I was reading the book for anyway. I really hate when authors incorporate a pointless romance into a really good plot, especially when it's rushed. However, I wouldn't be opposed to that happening later in the other books.
Kitkat3's Latest Review: "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan
Kitkat3

Favorite Book: Milk and Honey
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 218 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#41 by Amagine
» 08 Apr 2017, 06:23

Kitkat3 wrote:I really liked the fact that a romance didn't develop; I feel like it would have taken away from the story. That honestly wasn't what I was reading the book for anyway. I really hate when authors incorporate a pointless romance into a really good plot, especially when it's rushed. However, I wouldn't be opposed to that happening later in the other books.

I agree with you. I don't want a romance to consume the plot but the gradual development of one in later books would be a nice addition.
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -Frederick Douglass
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Tattered Box" by Paul Schumacher
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Little Witch
Bookshelf Size: 692 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#42 by psychopathycathy
» 08 Apr 2017, 20:41

This is real tricky business - I've read books where romance was incorporated really well, and ones where it just felt forced and out of place. It's definitely up to the author, but I'm still all for it.
psychopathycathy

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1326 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#43 by Rebeccaej
» 08 Apr 2017, 20:47

kandscreeley wrote:
Wasif Ahmed wrote:Among the reasons why books like Percy Jackson, Divergent and The Hunger Games are best sellers is because of the fantastic romantic story. I do like books with romance in them even though romance isn't the book's genre.

I don't necessarily agree that they are best sellers because they have romance. I think they are well-written books full of action. That's why they are best sellers. I bet if you left the romance out, they would still be best sellers. I could be wrong though.

You're not wrong. I'm most familiar with the Hunger Games, and the romance is used...interestingly in that series. It's made very clear that the protagonist doesn't return the feelings of the guys who are interested in her. In one of the movies, she says outright that she's incapable of a relationship, because the only emotion she can feel is fear. She's so focused on accomplishing REALLY goals, and so completely rejects romance, that she's been embraced as an asexual protagonist by some people.

But she's forced to fake it to survive. With somebody she deeply respects and loves in a non-romantic way. Somebody who she turns to for support, knowing that the reason he'll always be there is because he has an unrequited crush on her. And when that deeply hurts him and they can't stand being in the same room with each other...they still have to fake being in love.

This is an fantastic, complex, emotional story, and it has romantic undertones, but it's definitely not a "romance" as such.
Rebeccaej's Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Rebeccaej

Favorite Book: Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#44 by Gingerbo0ks
» 09 Apr 2017, 06:08

I found it nice to just focus on the story this time, there was a lot going on in a short period of time that wouldn't have given much chance for a romance to develop. Too much may have taken away the action and fast pace.

They are good together though, so I would like to see more of a relationship between them but it doesn't necessarily have to be a romantic one.
“One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Gingerbo0ks

Currently Reading: Juliana
Bookshelf Size: 155 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite

Post Number:#45 by bobRas
» 09 Apr 2017, 11:56

TinaFaye wrote:Of course, a little romance is always welcome. To me the lack of romance in a book makes it less real. Everyone has someone that they "romance" with.

Personal experience proves this assertion wrong.

I'm always glad to see stories with little to no romance in them. Platonic relationships are so much more important to me, and they're rarely explored that deeply. Emotional (and physical) intimacy is possible in platonic relationships. Hard to believe, I know :)
bobRas

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page

PreviousNext