Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Romance or lack of it

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#16 by gali
» 04 Apr 2017, 23:53

Aldonsa wrote:In my opinion there is a beginning of romance in Raven's Peak. Abigail and Haatim started falling in love, it is quite evident. Further adventures will pull them together. :wink:
As for romance in literature, I like books with exciting plot, books that make think, empathize. I've read many wonderful books without any romance.


I didn't see that they were, but each reads the signs differently.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23920
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1632 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 57%

Did you know?
 
Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#17 by Aldonsa
» 05 Apr 2017, 01:08

gali wrote: I didn't see that they were, but each reads the signs differently.


I don’t state that they are in love already. Their feelings are just at the very beginning. Abigail hadn’t only rescued Haatim’s life, she revived his faith in God. She became the most important person for him at the end of the book.
Abigail was quite self-contained and lone person. But Haatim managed to reach her soul. He became dear to her too. He is on the second place, right after Arthur. :wink:
Aldonsa's Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
User avatar
Aldonsa
 
Posts: 102
Joined: 07 Mar 2017, 02:20
Location: Nizhni Novgorod, RF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#18 by christinac_2585
» 05 Apr 2017, 06:28

I like a good romance in a story, but in this particular book I don't think it was necessary. I think it would have changed the storyline too much; for better or worse whose to say? It may happen in the second or third book and I'm interested in finding out if it does.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
christinac_2585's Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
User avatar
christinac_2585
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 18:43
Location: South Carolina
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#19 by kandscreeley
» 05 Apr 2017, 07:41

Aldonsa wrote:
gali wrote: I didn't see that they were, but each reads the signs differently.


I don’t state that they are in love already. Their feelings are just at the very beginning. Abigail hadn’t only rescued Haatim’s life, she revived his faith in God. She became the most important person for him at the end of the book.
Abigail was quite self-contained and lone person. But Haatim managed to reach her soul. He became dear to her too. He is on the second place, right after Arthur. :wink:


I don't know. I still don't see it. I think they respected each other, but that is in no way equivalent to love.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons
User avatar
kandscreeley
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#20 by James Craft
» 05 Apr 2017, 08:10

kandscreeley wrote:
Aldonsa wrote:
gali wrote: I didn't see that they were, but each reads the signs differently.


I don’t state that they are in love already. Their feelings are just at the very beginning. Abigail hadn’t only rescued Haatim’s life, she revived his faith in God. She became the most important person for him at the end of the book.
Abigail was quite self-contained and lone person. But Haatim managed to reach her soul. He became dear to her too. He is on the second place, right after Arthur. :wink:


I don't know. I still don't see it. I think they respected each other, but that is in no way equivalent to love.


Hmm...yeah, I'm not really sure. I agree there is a connection, but not really love. At least not yet, I would say.
James Craft's Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
User avatar
James Craft
 
Posts: 368
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 11:41
Location: United states
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#21 by Amagine
» 05 Apr 2017, 10:37

christinac_2585 wrote:I like a good romance in a story, but in this particular book I don't think it was necessary. I think it would have changed the storyline too much; for better or worse whose to say? It may happen in the second or third book and I'm interested in finding out if it does.


That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." - Mason Cooley

"The book to read is not the one that thinks for you but the one which makes you think." -Harper Lee
User avatar
Amagine
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
Location: Lost in My Imagination
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: Broken Things and Angel Feathers
Bookshelf Size: 679 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 41%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#22 by James Craft
» 05 Apr 2017, 11:57

Amagine wrote:That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.


Definitely better when it takes time to develop. I agree with this completely.
James Craft's Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
User avatar
James Craft
 
Posts: 368
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 11:41
Location: United states
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#23 by gali
» 05 Apr 2017, 12:38

James Craft wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:
Aldonsa wrote:
I don’t state that they are in love already. Their feelings are just at the very beginning. Abigail hadn’t only rescued Haatim’s life, she revived his faith in God. She became the most important person for him at the end of the book.
Abigail was quite self-contained and lone person. But Haatim managed to reach her soul. He became dear to her too. He is on the second place, right after Arthur. :wink:


I don't know. I still don't see it. I think they respected each other, but that is in no way equivalent to love.


Hmm...yeah, I'm not really sure. I agree there is a connection, but not really love. At least not yet, I would say.


I think the same. There is a connection that may or may not lead to love.

-- April 5th, 2017, 8:39 pm --

Amagine wrote:
christinac_2585 wrote:I like a good romance in a story, but in this particular book I don't think it was necessary. I think it would have changed the storyline too much; for better or worse whose to say? It may happen in the second or third book and I'm interested in finding out if it does.


That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.


I agree and think the same.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
User avatar
gali
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23920
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
Location: Lost in a good book
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Lie Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1632 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 57%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#24 by kandscreeley
» 05 Apr 2017, 12:41

Amagine wrote:That's true. A romance may develop in later books and personally, I hope it does. I also like the idea of the romance developing in later books. It makes it more realistic. Most people don't fall in love instantly. It's a slow, gradual process of them getting to know each other first. So if a romantic connection happen in the other books, that would be realistically perfect.


Actually, when I met my husband (before he was my husband of course) I loved him right away. Then we hated each other for about a year and a half before finally getting married. Nonetheless, I do believe in love at first sight. Although, I still think you have to give the relationship time to develop even after that.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons
User avatar
kandscreeley
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#25 by Jennifer Allsbrook
» 05 Apr 2017, 12:42

gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?


Being a lover of romantic fiction, I would enjoy to see a relationship develop between Haatim and Abigail. They built a strong friendship and developed mutual respect as the story progressed. I can see a potential for their relationship to become romantic but it would not make a break the story for me.
Jennifer Allsbrook's Latest Review: "Just The Beginning" by Maria Goode
User avatar
Jennifer Allsbrook
 
Posts: 713
Joined: 23 Jul 2016, 20:35
Location: North Carolina
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 17%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#26 by christinac_2585
» 05 Apr 2017, 13:01

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?


Being a lover of romantic fiction, I would enjoy to see a relationship develop between Haatim and Abigail. They built a strong friendship and developed mutual respect as the story progressed. I can see a potential for their relationship to become romantic but it would not make a break the story for me.


I agree. The story is great without the romantic aspect, but if that was to bloom in the second or third book I would not mind at all. I just wouldn't like it if it becomes just about the romance and not the actual storyline.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
christinac_2585's Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
User avatar
christinac_2585
 
Posts: 441
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 18:43
Location: South Carolina
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#27 by James Craft
» 05 Apr 2017, 14:51

christinac_2585 wrote:
Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
gali wrote:In most books, a romance is developed between the main characters. I was surprised no such thing happened here, between Haatim and Abigail, but maybe it will in the next books. Would you like it? So you like a romance in action books, or do you prefer stories that omit the romance aspect?


Being a lover of romantic fiction, I would enjoy to see a relationship develop between Haatim and Abigail. They built a strong friendship and developed mutual respect as the story progressed. I can see a potential for their relationship to become romantic but it would not make a break the story for me.


I agree. The story is great without the romantic aspect, but if that was to bloom in the second or third book I would not mind at all. I just wouldn't like it if it becomes just about the romance and not the actual storyline.


Yeah, I would like to see the romance come a little later in the series. Then it would mean more!
James Craft's Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
User avatar
James Craft
 
Posts: 368
Joined: 14 Sep 2016, 11:41
Location: United states
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#28 by dhwanis
» 06 Apr 2017, 01:00

I like the fact that there is no Romance in it. It would have been a mistake to force the protagonists into a relation just because they are leads.
dhwanis's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
User avatar
dhwanis
 
Posts: 163
Joined: 08 Jul 2014, 23:53
Location: India
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#29 by Vermont Reviews
» 06 Apr 2017, 01:16

Thimble wrote:Unless I'm reading a romantic story, I prefer there not to be a romance. Exclusions to this would be if the series is long and the romance is integral to the plot in some way. Most of the times authors put female characters in a book just so there's a side romance. I appreciated that there wasn't romance between Haatim and Abigail. Also, I really don't see them working out as a couple anyway.



I liked this response and agree.

Vermont Reviews
User avatar
Vermont Reviews
 
Posts: 1332
Joined: 02 Apr 2016, 09:52
Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Northdale
Bookshelf Size: 367 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Re: Romance or lack of it

Post Number:#30 by Lest92
» 06 Apr 2017, 06:31

I think it's refreshing when there is no romance because it's become so expected in stories.
Lest92's Latest Review: "Lara's Journal" by A. Gavazzoni
User avatar
Lest92
 
Posts: 178
Joined: 21 Jan 2017, 18:30
Location: Bloemfontein, South Africa
Currently Reading: The Witches of Eastwick
Bookshelf Size: 180 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Navigation

Return Home » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole