The Ending (SPOILERS!)

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

The Ending (SPOILERS!)

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What did you think of the ending? Did you feel it was a good resolution to the story or was it too much? What would you change and/or keep?

I'm referencing when Haatim and Abigail go and search for the knife the demon wanted. I personally didn't feel it was a good resolution. It felt like it was leading to another climax rather than resolving the story. If this chapter was cut and the story ended with the Epilogue, then I think it would have been better. What do you think?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree with you and felt the same. I think the book should have ended after the battle with the Demon. The ending somewhat took away from otherwise a good story.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I also agree with both statements above. Though we know this is the first in a series, the ending of "Raven's Peak" didn't really leave me with a sense of closure or suspense! Actually, I found the ending a little boring; as previously mentioned, like it was leading to another climax that we won't get until the next book.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

No. It felt like the end of Part II of a three part story. The baddie was easily defeated and we get no resolution to both Haatim and Abigail's problems.

There are certain trilogies or series that, in the end, are just one bigger story and each little piece doesn't give full resolution, but at least they have enough good content to keep you satisfied along the way. Raven's Peak failed to offer enough to keep me reading the series.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by christinac_2585 »

I agree. I thought that after the demon fight this would be the conclusion but it was like the story lingered a little, but we did find out what was going to start the second book.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:I agree with you and felt the same. I think the book should have ended after the battle with the Demon. The ending somewhat took away from otherwise a good story.
Yes, I think that would have been a good place to leave the story, too. In reality, the book perhaps didn't even need the Epilogue since it didn't really add much.

-- 02 Apr 2017, 20:19 --
MarisaRose wrote:I also agree with both statements above. Though we know this is the first in a series, the ending of "Raven's Peak" didn't really leave me with a sense of closure or suspense! Actually, I found the ending a little boring; as previously mentioned, like it was leading to another climax that we won't get until the next book.
I agree with the ending not really leading to suspense or much closure to an otherwise interesting story. It sort of left me hanging, unsure what to think... :eusa-think:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I also didn't think it was a great ending. I agree that it would have made more sense for the ending to have come after they defeat the major demon.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I didn't necessarily mind the extra chapter with the hunting for the knife. I thought it was almost like a sneak peek into the next book which, since it is a series, gives us hints about what's coming. But I understand where everyone else is coming from as well.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

I definitely agree that the ending dragged on a little bit. It should have ended with the battle and then had the rest be included as extra stuff or a look at book 2.
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I agree with the others about the ending. It would have been better if it had ended with the destruction of the major demon. I found the combination of both the knife and the fact that Abigail has to stand trial and defend herself to be too much to tack onto an ending.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

Thimble wrote:I agree with the others about the ending. It would have been better if it had ended with the destruction of the major demon. I found the combination of both the knife and the fact that Abigail has to stand trial and defend herself to be too much to tack onto an ending.
Yeah. I like the idea of this being a sort of 'extra' section that isn't intrinsic to the story. It leaves more closure. However, it isn't as bad of a cliffhanger as many other stories include.
micoleon13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micoleon13.html
Latest Review: Sandusky Burning by Bryan W. Conway

Post by micoleon13 »

Thimble wrote:I agree with the others about the ending. It would have been better if it had ended with the destruction of the major demon. I found the combination of both the knife and the fact that Abigail has to stand trial and defend herself to be too much to tack onto an ending.
I agree as well, it did feel a bit rushed at the ending with traipsing through the caves and then losing the knife, then as to what will happen to Abigail. It did set up and lay the ground work for the sequel, so it will be interesting to see how it gets resolved in book two.
James Craft

Post by James Craft »

micoleon13 wrote:
I agree as well, it did feel a bit rushed at the ending with traipsing through the caves and then losing the knife, then as to what will happen to Abigail. It did set up and lay the ground work for the sequel, so it will be interesting to see how it gets resolved in book two.
Yeah, a little more setup would have been nice, but I loved the rest of the series so it wasn't bad.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I thought the ending was o.k.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

I found the ending of this book interesting and logical. Raven's Peak is the first book of the series, so a reader must be intrigued by the ending. I like series where the ending of one makes me ponder what will happen in the next. :idea:

In my opinion if the book was ended after battle with Belphegor, there could be incompleteness. There must be some additional information about a dagger. It seems that dagger is the most important artifact in the series. Belphegor is after it. Moreover, the chief demon is after it. When I finished reading about the final skirmish, I thought: "Is it the end? No! What about the dagger? Abigail, you must find it. It is a very important thing!" And Abigail didn't disappoint me. :)
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”