Do you question the existence of God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Re: Do you question the existence of God?

Post by NerdGirl91 »

I believe there is some higher power I am just not sure what it is. Could be the elusive GOD, could be a pantheon, could even be aliens. Could be we were just some teen aliens science fair project. All I know is I try to be a good person in case I am judged by some higher power on the other side. Only death will tell.
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

I have been an atheist all my life, mostly because I never had any reason to believe in the existence of any god(s), let alone a specific one.

On the other hand, I haven't always been an agnostic atheist, so there has been some change.

I'm sure there could be a "higher power." It just depends on how you define it. I just don't think that this "higher power" is omnipotent and omniscient, even if we're all just living in a simulation...
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
SonjaB1006
Currently Reading: The List
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonjab1006.html

Post by SonjaB1006 »

As one who was raised in a loosely Christian household with no real force of "God's word", I began questioning the existence of the Christian God at a very young age. This later led to my own personal, and extensive, study of various religions. This study resulted in a different religious path all together, as I've now practiced Wicca for nearly a decade. I don't believe in the existence of a single all-power entity or god.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

No. I know there is a God and I know that he loves me.
Antonia Dominique
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Antonia Dominique »

I struggle with the difference between "god", "faith" and "religion." I have faith in god, but after coming out and understanding the views of "the church" it's been hard for me to stay in the faith community. I think god, and by extension faith, is a beautiful thing - I just don't find a place for myself within the strict catholic community.
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

In the book, “Raven’s Peak”, Haatim questioned his faith in God because of the tragedies in his life but he did not at any time question the existence of God. Same with me. Only more of the same. My God is the first, the last and my everything.
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

I don't know if this is considered questioning God's existence, because I definitely believe that there is something larger than us out there. But as in an "all loving, in control" God... Hmmm... If you had asked me this 15/20yrs ago.. Absolutely I would have said for sure there is a God and He lives us etc. But in the past decade and a half I must admit I don't know. Things are going on in my life and around the world that just make me feel like we are more here as cosmic experiments of jokes to entertain a larger deity. I think at the end of the day tho, I will put my vote on yes, there is a God.
excel smith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by excel smith »

Perfect!

-- 15 Apr 2017, 08:24 --
Amagine wrote:In my youth, I did. I'm older, I'm more experienced and more spiritual. I've encountered things in my life that I know there was no way I would have made it through it without some kind of higher power. I know that higher power is God. I think most people who believe in God has had weak moments where they doubted his existence. We usually always find our way back though.
Perfect1
Arlen

Post by Arlen »

No, I have always believed in a supreme being that created us. I do, however, question some of the patriarchal teachings of organized religions.
Moniquejm
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2759">What is and isn't Working for the Alcoholic and Addict</a>
Currently Reading: Small Change
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moniquejm.html
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger

Post by Moniquejm »

I do believe in the existence of God. But sometimes one can't avoid questioning His existence most especially if we are in a big trouble and we think we are abandoned by Him.
Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Kehvex
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehvex.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by Kehvex »

I have really enjoyed this thread and all that everyone has said so far about the question. i consider myself a person of a faith. and that there is a God. although i believe that it is in his nature for us to be able to represent him in many different ways. as with the varied religions and ways of life that we have with us to day. i saw my self first as a philosopher, and then i got into the mystical traditions, mostly involving occult traditions such as free masonry(the idea of living your life based on a certain code is what i mean by this example) chaos magic( ALHLUIARHAGUIHR just kidding this led to mental illness and i do not suggest to others as i felt like i could manipulate things in ways that i thought would not really change anything, although the beauty of magic is the adamant knowing that what you do in rituals will affect the world around you, faith matters.) t

i went into some eastern traditions, such as Taoism(Daoism) and studied some of the i ching. i am really smitten on Buddhism, but this does not mean that i did not have my dark times.

irregardless of the times i had i had the faith of god(or higher power{i considered it god}) whether i knew it or not, and throughout my various studies i have seen parallels between many conflicting and at time supportive beliefs.

i have questioned, i have gave no attention too them. i have disregarded him as something as an enemy, an opposing force. all that time though. i have never given up the idea that there was some other greater. if you want to call that god then so be it. all i know is that i have faith...
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

Haatim is facing some realities in his life and begins to question himself if God exists. Sometimes people ask the same question when they are in trouble. Let's go through this awesome novel and find some answers. Thanks for the great review.
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 159

Post by Lolly_Reader »

I certainly question the existence of people who don't question the existence of god(s). What is the point of the gift of self-awareness if you don't? Faith is worthless if it's based upon blind trust.
Kehvex
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kehvex.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by Kehvex »

Lolly_Reader wrote:I certainly question the existence of people who don't question the existence of god(s). What is the point of the gift of self-awareness if you don't? Faith is worthless if it's based upon blind trust.
my very understanding of faith is the very quality of blind trust. without it, it would not be considered faith as far as i know
Brox

Post by Brox »

I believe God exists, but I question a form of his existence. Many people talk about God but in fact, no one knows anything for sure. Does he look like a man or does he have some other shape and form? Is he actually a strong vibration of energy and does he have a body like we do?

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”