Do you question the existence of God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Re: Do you question the existence of God?

Post by James Craft »

Chandre wrote:No I never. Live by faith and not by sight.
It's impressive when someone can be that sure of their faith, but a lot of people don't have that level of conviction about something like that.
Afolabi JaySmile
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Afolabi JaySmile »

Philosophically it's right and brilliant to question and ponder over the existence of various things ( living and nonliving, physical and spiritual) but however not to the extend of doubting the existence of the omnipotent being who created the Universe. To some extend it's a sin to question His Existence so I see no reason why a religious man should question the Existence of God.
Pen down.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Afolabi JaySmile wrote:Philosophically it's right and brilliant to question and ponder over the existence of various things ( living and nonliving, physical and spiritual) but however not to the extend of doubting the existence of the omnipotent being who created the Universe. To some extend it's a sin to question His Existence so I see no reason why a religious man should question the Existence of God.
Pen down.
Religion can be a very tricky subject to discuss, and I have no wish to alienate or upset everyone. However, I disagree with this statement. How can we know what we believe unless we question everything? I think it is our job to question. If God is truly God and we truly have faith, He will come out on top.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Afolabi JaySmile

kandscreeley wrote:
Afolabi JaySmile wrote:Philosophically it's right and brilliant to question and ponder over the existence of various things ( living and nonliving, physical and spiritual) but however not to the extend of doubting the existence of the omnipotent being who created the Universe. To some extend it's a sin to question His Existence so I see no reason why a religious man should question the Existence of God.
Pen down.
Religion can be a very tricky subject to discuss, and I have no wish to alienate or upset everyone. However, I disagree with this statement. How can we know what we believe unless we question everything? I think it is our job to question. If God is truly God and we truly have faith, He will come out on top.

Hmmmmm. Come out on top?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Come out on top as in we will see that He is God.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Very well put! And thanks for clarifying for us all in this case!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

It gives me a sense of assurance and happiness to know that there is purpose to our lives. That we are not just living just to live, but there is something even greater out there. For me, it's God and His purpose. We are all aware of the many horrible things that happen in life, but I truly believe we have free will and that there are reasons for these events. It is up to us to see the positive in life, to keep faith, and so that's what I strive for every day.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MythicDrmR
Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mythicdrmr.html

Post by MythicDrmR »

[quote="Tevis Scout"... How could a loving God allow/cause/condone evil, suffering, etc.? No one who has watched their child suffer and die - as I have - would discount the doubts that arise during such a journey. Theology aside (and I have a degree in this), life is hard to understand sometimes. But I have found that the "God" I believe exists is infinitely bigger than any creed or religion, and encompasses all of humanity. ... --Tevis Scout[/quote]

It is difficult to understand how a "loving God [could] allow/cause/condone evil". I believe that it is allowed because we all have a journey to take and lessons to learn. Evil exists, just as good does and I believe our body's are frail and subject to damage through life and even to enter life with a malfunctioning brain or body. We all know or have seen people who have a disability, whether it is blindness (like my older child) or another physical or mental problem. I believe that people who do bad things on a regular basis suffer from another type of disability... something intrinsic within the body they were born in. I feel that if they had been born in another body--they might be different. We are who are brain says we are, whatever else the body might show. Ask anyone who is transgendered--the body does not decide a person's sexuality or orientation--the brain does. What torture when the body does not match the mind!

I also agree and believe that the Creator exists and is "infinitely bigger than any creed or religion, and encompasses all of humanity..." I believe that we don't get just one chance at life, but many in order to learn. How can one brief life teach us much of anything...especially if we should die young. Just more thoughts... -- Ramona
"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." ~~Dr. Seuss (I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!)~~
AlexisFerguson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexisferguson.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by AlexisFerguson »

I never question God's existence, because for me to truly question it I have to weigh the possibility of there being no God. All that makes up the world we live in, the complexities of nature, the dynamics of humanity, these are intricacies I believe can only be put in place by an intelligent higher being above it all. So for me, God has to exist in order for this world to exist. For people that believe this, the question is instead usually whether or not God cares about them(they feel as if God lets bad things happen to them). But the thing is if you were truly striving to know God and follow His heart(which he implores us to do) you would find that you have fewer questions in your heart. The simple answer to why bad things happen to us, why there is evil in the world, is in Genisis and a result of the first sin. Please realize that God does not make bad things happen to you( or to what we consider good people). In fact, when you are in pain He is there with you, provides comfort, and wants for you to depend on him(every hardship has redemption and can be learned from).

Bad things happen in the world because we were created with free will, and unfortunately, humanity doesn't do well with free will(especially now that evil is in the world, hence why the world is unfair).

It is important to know that although God can control all things, there are things he allows to happen, not to hurt you, but to get you to trust Him and trust that He knows what He's doing. If life was all roses we wouldn't look to Him. To think that because God "hurt you" gives you the right to deny Him, you'll be in for a rude awakening. It's natural for us to feel as if we have some say in the matter, but we honestly don't(we are his creations). Believing that we do is not as natural as it sounds, and is a result of an evil world trying to tell you that you are the god of your life. But you are not, and believe me, when you realize you are not the god of your life but you have an all powerful God willing to stand by you if you obey Him, you'll find yourself much more content in this rather than trusting only in yourself.

-Alexis Ferguson
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Afolabi JaySmile

kandscreeley wrote:Come out on top as in we will see that He is God.
oh.....now I got u right.

You right to some extend. but lemme cut my argument here because Man can't interfere in is total existence. Just believe He create you, and every other thing on earth. And only demands your faithfulness in Him.

I think the reason He hides himself his to show us how Supreme He is.

-- 06 Apr 2017, 20:15 --
AlexisFerguson wrote:I never question God's existence, because for me to truly question it I have to weigh the possibility of there being no God. All that makes up the world we live in, the complexities of nature, the dynamics of humanity, these are intricacies I believe can only be put in place by an intelligent higher being above it all. So for me, God has to exist in order for this world to exist. For people that believe this, the question is instead usually whether or not God cares about them(they feel as if God lets bad things happen to them). But the thing is if you were truly striving to know God and follow His heart(which he implores us to do) you would find that you have fewer questions in your heart. The simple answer to why bad things happen to us, why there is evil in the world, is in Genisis and a result of the first sin. Please realize that God does not make bad things happen to you( or to what we consider good people). In fact, when you are in pain He is there with you, provides comfort, and wants for you to depend on him(every hardship has redemption and can be learned from).

Bad things happen in the world because we were created with free will, and unfortunately, humanity doesn't do well with free will(especially now that evil is in the world, hence why the world is unfair).

It is important to know that although God can control all things, there are things he allows to happen, not to hurt you, but to get you to trust Him and trust that He knows what He's doing. If life was all roses we wouldn't look to Him. To think that because God "hurt you" gives you the right to deny Him, you'll be in for a rude awakening. It's natural for us to feel as if we have some say in the matter, but we honestly don't(we are his creations). Believing that we do is not as natural as it sounds, and is a result of an evil world trying to tell you that you are the god of your life. But you are not, and believe me, when you realize you are not the god of your life but you have an all powerful God willing to stand by you if you obey Him, you'll find yourself much more content in this rather than trusting only in yourself.

-Alexis Ferguson
Exactly sir.
well perfectly written.
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

God is the supreme creator of all things. We can't question God because everything happens in our life for a reason.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Some great and interesting discussions going on here! Really fascinating stuff to see what people believe!
Rinsola-Usman
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinsola-usman.html
Reading Device: B005625APM

Post by Rinsola-Usman »

AGillbooksaretreasur wrote:That's a touchy subject, some have never accepted the existence of God, therefore are unable to question it.
Myself, I have never questioned His existence. I have admittedly questioned Him, "why or how" strongly and tirelessly at times of struggle and strife. I've always believed though, as a Christian, keeping that connection and that communication with God, in Jesus's name helped me through the tough times.
Likewise myself. You couldn't have said it any better.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Yes, I have many times. I don't necessarily feel like that is a bad thing. I think that that questioning has actually led me to a stronger faith a couple of times. It seems as though the more I doubt God's presence the more apparent it is to me. I have also lost faith because of the death of a loved one. It feels cruel that God lets certain things happen to us and to the world in general. However, that doesn't mean that God doesn't exist or that he hates everyone. I think that coming back to that conclusion is important for some people.
J Conrad Guest
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by J Conrad Guest »

I've not so much questioned the existence of a god, merely whether we've created him in our own image.

The universe didn't will itself into existence. If one believes in the Big Bang theory, I'd question what existed before existence? Someone or something had to put into the lab the chemicals for the bang to bang.

So my question is what, or who, is God? Is he (or she), and anthropomorphic deity or an existential being?

-- 08 Apr 2017, 20:26 --
Kitkat3 wrote:Yes, I have many times. I don't necessarily feel like that is a bad thing. I think that that questioning has actually led me to a stronger faith a couple of times. It seems as though the more I doubt God's presence the more apparent it is to me. I have also lost faith because of the death of a loved one. It feels cruel that God lets certain things happen to us and to the world in general. However, that doesn't mean that God doesn't exist or that he hates everyone. I think that coming back to that conclusion is important for some people.
Well, God gave us freedom to choose. If the world is a nasty place it's because we've made it a nasty place. Yes, He could step in and stop the ugliness, but that's not how He works.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”