Do you question the existence of God?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Re: Do you question the existence of God?

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I have always believed that there is something powerful and mighty watching us all from afar...but I am not a fan of any religion or their believes...!! I have always questioned god' existence...because of soo much tragedy but at the same time their is equal amount of happiness...
Karen0823
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karen0823.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Karen0823 »

There have been events in my life that have deepened my belief in God (a higher power) and then others that leave me feeling abandoned by Him. I've been told that just like a human father, sometimes God says 'no', or 'in due time'. I believe, or at least, I want to believe. Sometimes it's difficult when I call on Him yet I don't feel that he's listening or helping, at least not on my timetable. I have found that in my darkest times, I have nowhere else to go but to call on His name. How much more helpless I would feel if I didn't have that. Without belief in Him, everything would seem quite pointless.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Absolutely! Though I'm an atheist, I still have tons of respect for people who believe in God.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I'm hesitant to answer this question as the existence of god is such a touchy subject. In such a cold and cruel world where the devil is running rampant, belief in a higher power and that he will grant us a better afterlife is a way of cooping for most. But to everything there is a season. Balance is such a vital element of life. If there are evil forces then good ones exist too, even if at first their presence aren't felt because we choose to dwell on the things that are wrong in life.
Cátia Rato
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catiarato.html
Latest Review: The Inmate by Alan P. Woodruff

Post by Cátia Rato »

I always believed in Science, which has an explanation for everything. That I can understand. But God is such an untouchable concept...it doesn't make sense to me.
I know people from scientific backgrounds that believe in God, not in absolutely everything, but they see that somethings make sense in Gods vision and others in science.
I still want to read the Bible, so I can see if I'm able to believe in some things or not.
Cheshire
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheshire.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Cheshire »

I think anyone is. We all have existential crisis. God or whatnot, we got our own opinions.

For me though, I just don't care if God exists or not.

I'm fine either way. Both hell and heaven. Both void or reincarnation.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Thabang Amos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thabang-amos.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Thabang Amos »

I did when I was young but now I don't because now I have gained a lot of knowledge and wisdom with respect to God
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

More than trying to question the existence of any divine being, I prefer to believe in the goodness of people. The most hypocritical persons I've known are devout followers of a certain religion. Then again, the kindest and wisest person I've known is also one.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Mailis »

I would like to think there is something out there watching over us and guiding us but I just don't believe in organized religion. All those rules and following them don't make a person good or bad. This sense of caring about others and trying to be the best version of yourself should come from within.
JodyVamp
Currently Reading: Undone
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jodyvamp.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by JodyVamp »

I used to, then I quit questioning and decided God was just a manmade fairy tale created in attempt to explain what we weren't advanced enough to figure out 2000 years ago, and maybe try teach morals along the way. I've come to view the Bible as a kind of Greek mythology that has persisted.
mamalui
Favorite Book: Trip to Adele
Currently Reading: Split Adam
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamalui.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by mamalui »

There was a time when I did question about the existence of God. Just like Haatim was after the death of his sister. It took me a long time to get a grip on the realities of life. I came to learn that the presence of tragedy doesn't mean the absence of God it maybe be tough but God is always there silently giving hope and encouragement.
No idea is a bad idea.

Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'm filled with doubt and uncertainty but I have hope that there is something bigger, some reason or purpose for what this life is. It sucks not having answers.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I have always been a religious man and have always believed in the existence of God.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

I don't believe that God, if he exists, is as he's described in the different religions. I don't believe that he has a master plan, that there is a life after death, or that he cares for each one of the living beings in the universe. In any case, I see him as some kind of superior entity or some sort of being who has reached a higher level of evolution than us, who in the best of cases keeps the universe in balance and nothing more.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

This is a question that, in answering, care has to be taken not to confuse belief in God with being able to prove the existence of God. On the latter point, it isn't possible for anyone to prove (or disprove) the existence of God, and the arguments advanced by great theologians such as Aquinas have not improved our position there. As to belief, like paranormal phenomena, I am skeptical but open to the possibility. My position is that of an agnostic.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”