Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Post Number:#46 by James Craft
» 07 Apr 2017, 09:43

So here's a question for you all. This has to do with possession but not necessarily Raven's Peak. Do you believe that Hitler was possessed or just evil?

Hitler was evil and corrupt. I wouldn't even give him the credit of saying possessed. Sometimes, bad people are bad on their own and don't deserve excuses!
James Craft

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47 by gali
» 07 Apr 2017, 12:46

James Craft wrote:So here's a question for you all. This has to do with possession but not necessarily Raven's Peak. Do you believe that Hitler was possessed or just evil?

Hitler was evil and corrupt. I wouldn't even give him the credit of saying possessed. Sometimes, bad people are bad on their own and don't deserve excuses!

Well said and I agree!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: The Long Walk
Bookshelf Size: 1611 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 37%

Post Number:#48 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 07 Apr 2017, 13:01

This is a very challenging and horrifying question. I do believe there is a spiritual world all around us that we cannot see. If you believe Scripture, you would understand there is a spiritual battle going on that we can't see. In the Bible, Jesus was always casting out demons from apparently possessed people. Were those people really possessed? Or was Jesus healing mental illnesses that they didn't know about back then? I could see the latter viewpoint, but it's usually best to take Scripture "as is." So, the bigger question is, are there really people possessed today, in modern society? Difficult to say. I think it is possible. I definitely do not think that all mental illness is really a demon. I suppose it is possible for a demon-possessed person to exhibit signs of a mental illness, but I would definitely separate the two as not being totally different. exorcisms? Not sure. According to Scripture, followers of Christ were supposed to be able to cast out demons. But then, Christ's disciples were not able to on one occasion. ALso, the use of holy water - I don't really believe in holy water. So, not sure why "holy water" would do anything. or how. IF there is such a thing as demon possession and exorcisms, the demon would have to come out on the authority of Jesus, not because of holy water or a cross necklace being shown.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 208 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#49 by stoppoppingtheP
» 07 Apr 2017, 17:17

I do believe that there are other beings that we may or may not know about. Some of these beings may be evil, and people may be possessed by them. However, this does not in anyway excuse bad or evil behavior. I think that if you are a good person these things won't happen to you.
“remember,
you were a writer
before
you ever
put
pen to paper.
just because you were not writing
externally.
does not mean you were not writing
internally.”

― Nayyirah Waheed
stoppoppingtheP's Latest Review: "Children of Covenant" by Fred Howard
stoppoppingtheP

Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 104 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 6%

Post Number:#50 by Rinsola-Usman
» 07 Apr 2017, 20:05

Yes I do. I have heard testimonies from reliable sources of mine.
Rinsola-Usman

Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#51 by Kitkat3
» 08 Apr 2017, 00:37

This is honestly a hard question, because I'm not sure if I do or don't. I have heard people say that they have witnessed that, and I feel as though not that many people could be making things up or imagining things. I do believe in evil spirits. Even if I decided that I believed in evil spirits possessing people, I would still have a hard time believing in exorcism. I just don't see how it would really be possible to remove an evil spirit from someone. Also, where would the real spirit of the person go and could it just be called back?
Kitkat3

Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 116 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 26%

Post Number:#52 by Amagine
» 09 Apr 2017, 12:24

stoppoppingtheP wrote:I do believe that there are other beings that we may or may not know about. Some of these beings may be evil, and people may be possessed by them. However, this does not in anyway excuse bad or evil behavior. I think that if you are a good person these things won't happen to you.

I agree with most of what you said. However sometimes bad things happen to good people. I do agree that majority of the time, you can avoid a lot of the evil in the world if you live a good and wholesome life.
"You have to write the book that wants to be written. If the book will be too difficult for grown-ups, then you write it for children." -Madeleine L'Engle
Amagine's Latest Review: "Night Noises" by Lisa Beere
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Hayloft Girls
Bookshelf Size: 581 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#53 by rssllue
» 09 Apr 2017, 12:43

Amagine wrote:
stoppoppingtheP wrote:I do believe that there are other beings that we may or may not know about. Some of these beings may be evil, and people may be possessed by them. However, this does not in anyway excuse bad or evil behavior. I think that if you are a good person these things won't happen to you.

I agree with most of what you said. However sometimes bad things happen to good people. I do agree that majority of the time, you can avoid a lot of the evil in the world if you live a good and wholesome life.

To follow up that, what is our concept of "good" based upon? :eusa-think:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue's Latest Review: "Lost Bastards" by L. Todd Wood
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 333 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 21%

Post Number:#54 by hsimone
» 09 Apr 2017, 15:30

James Craft wrote:So here's a question for you all. This has to do with possession but not necessarily Raven's Peak. Do you believe that Hitler was possessed or just evil?

Good question. I believe that Hitler was mentally unstable and definitely corrupt. Unfortunately, he was able to corrupt others along the way. If people weren't so easily influenced, then he might not have impacted the world as much as he did. Since I don't believe in possession, I would never excuse his behavior as such.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: We Won't Forget You Mr. McGillicuddy
Bookshelf Size: 373 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 37%

Post Number:#55 by rssllue
» 09 Apr 2017, 15:38

I believe that possession does indeed occur just as it did in biblical times. Was Hitler possessed? I am not sure, but evil was definitely running rampant in and around him throughout his life.

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#56 by kandscreeley
» 09 Apr 2017, 16:36

rssllue wrote:
Amagine wrote:

That truly is the question. How we can hold God to our standard of goodness when by definition God is above us. Doesn't he define good and evil?
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Tangible Spirits" by Becki Willis
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: The Maid of Salerno
Bookshelf Size: 59 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#57 by rssllue
» 09 Apr 2017, 17:09

kandscreeley wrote:
rssllue wrote:
Amagine wrote:

That truly is the question. How we can hold God to our standard of goodness when by definition God is above us. Doesn't he define good and evil?

Agreed and agreed! If God defines His creation, then who are we to change it or even use that definition without admitting it is He Who defines it in the first place.

rssllue

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#58 by karolinka
» 09 Apr 2017, 22:14

I believe that people are responsible for themselves. That said, I do also believe that there are evil spirits, and in some rare instances they can/will possess people. If exorcism will work, I don't know, that would have to be case by case basis. It probably has to be done by someone highly skilled.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
karolinka's Latest Review: "Slumbering" by C. S. Johnson
karolinka

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 2 Books
Goal Completion: 350%

Post Number:#59 by James Craft
» 10 Apr 2017, 07:23

karolinka wrote:I believe that people are responsible for themselves. That said, I do also believe that there are evil spirits, and in some rare instances they can/will possess people. If exorcism will work, I don't know, that would have to be case by case basis. It probably has to be done by someone highly skilled.

There would be a lot of training that went along with it to actually understand when an exorcism would be needed.
James Craft

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#60 by MythicDrmR
» 11 Apr 2017, 15:21

ananya92 wrote: :eusa-think: One thing I'm sure of though, is that if there are evil spirits, then I surely don't want to meet one, even for the sake of proof!

Exactly! I have seen enough movies and read enough books that I do not want proof either. I do believe in spirits because I saw some as a child. It was a repetitious replaying of something that happened in a house I lived in when I was in elementary school. I believe in the spirit world and that we move into and, more than likely, back out of it when we are reborn. Do I believe that there could be other dimensions and unseen worlds where evil reigns? I fear so. I do not believe that every person who commits evil is possessed though. I believe that people are born mentally damaged or made that way and that causes most of the evil in the world. Even good people make bad choices from time to time.

Does exorcism work? If it helps the possessed person to believe so, what does it hurt? If you can have evil possession, shouldn't there be something good that can banish it? Deep and dark questions in this forum! posting.php?mode=quote&f=125&t=42392&p=670945#:shock2:
"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." ~~Dr. Seuss (I Can Read with My Eyes Shut!)~~
MythicDrmR

Currently Reading: Empire of Night
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

PreviousNext