Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Re: Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Post by Amagine »

papaya12 wrote:In the Bible it talks about people that were possessed by evil spirits. I am a Christian and so I take everything the Bible says as true. So, to answer your second question I do believe that people can be possessed by evil spirits. I know a person who I completely trust who says that he met a person who was possessed and I take his word for it too. To answer your first question, I do believe that Satan can work through people and if he wanted too, could practice exorcism.
I'm a believer like you. I've never met someone who was possessed but I don't doubt that it happens in our world.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I'm one of those that would have to see it to believe it. I would say it could be that many years ago mental illness was often mistaken for this, but with diagnosis improving this might not be the case now. I'm still yet to see anything to convince me as of yet.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I most definitely believe in evil spirits aka demons. Also, I believe they can possess a person. Being a Christian, I also believe God can prevail against these spirits and cast them out of a person. Evil spirits possessing someone absolutely terrifies me because it really does happen. I refuse to watch movies or tv shows related to this.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Lolly_Reader
Favorite Book: Oils for the Beginner
Currently Reading: The Earthen Vessel
Bookshelf Size: 158

Post by Lolly_Reader »

To believe in external demons would require a simplicity I neither envy nor possess. People are more than capable of acts of evil without internal hitchhikers to blame it on.
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

I don't believe in exorcism or people being possessed by spirits. But I still like to read books about it.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Kdonegan91 wrote:I most definitely believe in evil spirits aka demons. Also, I believe they can possess a person. Being a Christian, I also believe God can prevail against these spirits and cast them out of a person. Evil spirits possessing someone absolutely terrifies me because it really does happen. I refuse to watch movies or tv shows related to this.
As was testified to in the gospels.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I do believe in ghosts and evil spirits! My boyfriend thinks I'm really gullible but my mom always says I had a sixth sense with this type of stuff when I was younger based on a couple of experiences. I don't know how realistic possessions are, but maybe minor ones are possible, like if an evil spirit influences someone to act violently in some way. Creepy stuff!
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I am on the fence about this. There were a few times I've met someone and had a distinct feeling there was complete evil inside of them. I got the chills and felt like I was in the presence of an evil spirit. As for exorcisms, I would have to see it to believe it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

I wonder if there are still people in the world who perform exorcisms. That's something I would be interested in finding out.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Aldonsa
Currently Reading: God Is Not A Noun: Evolutionaries Illuminati Cosmic Bible Ginan
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aldonsa.html
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler

Post by Aldonsa »

Amagine wrote:I wonder if there are still people in the world who perform exorcisms. That's something I would be interested in finding out.
Yes, there are such people. I saw a documental film about exorcism and evil banishment. Of course this film can be fabricated. :?
Latest Review: "The Fifth Crusade" by Mark Butler
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

I know that believer's cannot be possessed, because anywhere that God is (and God indwells believers) Satan and his demons cannot enter. But believers can be demon influenced when resting outside the filling of the spirit. The only true exorcisms were done by the Lord Jesus Christ, and the apostles when they were alive. Believers are supposed to be on the DEFENSIVE against satan and his demons because they are far stronger and more intelligent than we are. They are GOD's business to deal with not ours. Even the angel, Micheal, as he was fighting over Mose's body with Satan in front of Christ said "The Lord, rebuke thee"... if an angel himself needs the Lord to do his work, humanity has no chance to do a true exorcism.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

Honestly, it terrifies me to think about it but I think it's possible. I believe in God and angels. With every good, there is usually bad so I think the demons and evil spirits are just the other side of the coin. Possession and exorcisms are horrific possibilities but I think possibility none the less. A missionary that I worked with in Belize always had issues when they gave sermons on demons. They wouldn't spend long working on the sermon. Usually only 3-4 days and that includes giving the sermon because things would be thrown around their house and disappear during those days. He only gives that sermon once a year and he knows it's because it has to be covered.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

I absolutely believe that people can become possessed and that exorcism works for the faithful. I believe that we need to guard our hearts and minds from evil at every turn and focus on Christ. If our life somehow puts us in the path of evil, we must fight it where we find it and call on and believe that God can keep our hearts and minds free of it's influence.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

Yes, of course... and it usually the powerful, sneaky and/or malevolent jinn (spirit entities) that are prone to possess the unsuspecting and the who dabble in the dark arts, via the body's chakra (energy) points especially, the navel chakra. 'Raven's Peak' nicely portrays how and what a jinn can do with, and inside the human body.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Aldonsa wrote:
Amagine wrote:I wonder if there are still people in the world who perform exorcisms. That's something I would be interested in finding out.
Yes, there are such people. I saw a documental film about exorcism and evil banishment. Of course this film can be fabricated. :?
How was the exorcism performed? I'm intrigued.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”