Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
HarleyQuinn2016
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harleyquinn2016.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Re: Do you believe in exorcism or possessed?

Post by HarleyQuinn2016 »

I am not much of a religious person, but I believe that just like God can influence a person so can a demon. The difference God does not need to possess a person to do his bidding, where Demons need to in order to corrupt everything and everyone. In order to do that sometimes, they would have to take away the person's free will. Just like in Raven's Peak, the demons focus on a person's weaknesses which allow them to be manipulated into doing the demons work.

Can an exorcism be performed successfully, is another question altogether. I think it would depend on the type of demon, and how many have taken over the body. I imagine the demon would need to latch onto our souls in order to take complete charge of thoughts and actions. That is where an exorcism would get tricky. With a lesser demon, yes an exorcism should be enough to sever the tie, but with a greater demon. That tie may never go away even if the exorcism was successful in removing the demon. It would like leaving an imprint on the soul.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

I have firmly believe for years that possession is what we have historically classified as mental illness. I find the majority of the symptoms to be the same with a variety of disorders
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Janien van Rooyen
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janien-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by Janien van Rooyen »

I absolutely believe in evil spirits, however I also believe in angels. You can not believe in on and not the other
SilviaP21
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-silviap21.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by SilviaP21 »

I talked to priests who told me that they witnessed exorcisms and that it's something completely real and frightening. And I do believe there are unseen forces that affect us. The only solution is to have faith in God and in His power to protect us from evil.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

Most definitely! Look at hsitory. It cannot be denied that there is.
Rebuni
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebuni.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebuni »

I believe 'darkness' is deposited into our being through life's traumas by others carrying darkness. Driving the darkness out is a conscious choose, if you decline to do so, you will deposit it in another's life.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
WestIndie001
Favorite Author: James M. Gabagat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-westindie001.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
fav_author_id: 125024

Post by WestIndie001 »

Hard to say. When people undergo intense emotional or mental trauma to the point where they behave insanely, could that be an exorcism? When people are in violent fit of rage, could you call that a demonic possession?
Latest Review: "Everything I Know about Business and Marketing, I Learned from THE TOXIC AVENGER" by Jeffrey W. Sass
barbiecello

Post by barbiecello »

In my own opinion, if an individual let themselves be influenced by those evil thoughts, I must say that they really believe in exorcism but if you strongly believe that those creepy creatures doesn't exist, well obviously, you don't believe on those things. Having belief on things are based on us. It depends on us so that's all. :P
Dnegrt
Currently Reading: Salem's Lot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dnegrt.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dnegrt »

I'm a huge sceptic in these kinds of thing, but oh, I would be lying if I didn't admitted that I'm terrified of the idea of it being real.
nikkon
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkon.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by nikkon »

In this weird world of ours, I do believe that there are evil spirits and exorcism. Now that I think of it, It would be extremely terrifying to have a spirit take ahold of me.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Ghingir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00D029NNA

Post by Ghingir »

I definitely believe in malevolent spirits, but I also believe that we have the power to not allow them to control us if we are strong of mind and heart. That being said, there is plenty of "proof" of possession if you research it. I'm just not convinced that a lot of this proof is actually proof of possession. For example, priests who swear that during an exorcism the possessed hovered above their bed, or physical manifestations of disease and aging presented. These things (yes, even hovering) could be caused by a strong mind that truly believes it is possessed (maybe simply punishing themselves for something they feel extremely guilty over, warranted or not). After all, we know that someone with a strong mind can even stop and restart their own heart, so these things really aren't so unbelievable. Whether the manifestations of a supposed possession are due to mental illness or an evil spirit, I suppose we can never really know.

Then again, there are things that are not explainable. Such as a supposed possessed person speaking in a language that they never knew. It makes me believe that it probably is possible.
jemgirl202
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 870
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jemgirl202.html
Latest Review: My Angel My Hero by Brenda E. Mcdaniel

Post by jemgirl202 »

Definitely an interesting question that would spark an interesting debate! I personally don't believe in demon possession. I have heard people swear it happened to someone they know or they say they researched it after watching a horror movie. But I am skeptical, it does make for an interesting read though!
TheSeelieCourtJester
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theseeliecourtjester.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Post by TheSeelieCourtJester »

I believe in exorcisms and the possessed, but only in very specific circumstances. Back then, people who were actually mentally ill were believed to be possessed by evil spirits. And even now, the Catholic Church has very strict guidelines as to when a person can really be considered demonically possessed. When that truly happens, the results are incredibly frightening. It shows that people really do need to be strong in order to fight against them, to know that there is, in fact, a light at the end of the tunnel. Perhaps it's me just being paranoid, but this is really how I feel on the matter.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Josh0018

Post by Josh0018 »

Being possessed by bad spirits or suffering from exorcism is an old belief which had passed by our ancestors down to our generation. Maybe are claiming that it is true, however, on my side I would say it is not because no spirit is going to control you knowing that you are alive and can do everything just to let them be a thousand miles from yourself.
Naeomiee
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naeomiee.html

Post by Naeomiee »

There is truth to every rumor especially those which have been around for ages, one cannot deny such. I do believe there's a level of truth associated with such things.

-- 15 Jun 2017, 03:19 --

There is truth to every rumor especially those which have been around for ages, one cannot deny such. I do believe there's a level of truth associated with such things.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”