Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post Number:#31 by Amagine
» 05 Apr 2017, 15:34

Moniquejm wrote:I believe that good will always win. We should not let evil win to this world.

In the real world, I completely agree with you. In the fictional world, I kind of want to read a story where evil actually does win. The reason is because it's a story idea I hardly ever see. I'm always looking for the realistic and yet outside of the box type of stories.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#32 by Jennifer Allsbrook
» 05 Apr 2017, 16:41

MarisaRose wrote:The theme of Good vs. Evil features strongly in Raven's Peak. It is a theme as old as time. How do you feel about books that focus on this theme?

I find the biggest downfall with these types of books is that many times they become predictable because we assume Good will prevail. I also dislike when 'evil' characters are one dimensional as they tend to be incredibly annoying to read about.

I do enjoy a classic tale of good versus evil as long it is well-written and engaging. I agree that good often prevails, but that's how many of us were brought up with fairy tales like those made into Disney movies. Imagine bedtime stories where evil wins...no child would sleep soundly, snuggled in their beds!
Jennifer Allsbrook's Latest Review: "Thorns and Roses" by Amaka Azie
Jennifer Allsbrook

Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: Nightlord Shadows
Bookshelf Size: 93 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 150 Books
Goal Completion: 9%

Post Number:#33 by ifeoma obike
» 05 Apr 2017, 18:33

Even though good vs evil stories are always predictable I totally enjoy it because of the twists and turns that takes place before the expected happens. I get frustrated when the bad guy doesn't get the deserved punishment not to talk of when he goes totally free. This theme also reminds me that evil has not and will not completely overtake the world
ifeoma obike

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#34 by Vermont Reviews
» 06 Apr 2017, 01:32

gali wrote:I agree it can become predictable. Still, as long as the book is well-written and engaging, I enjoy the ride.

The ride yes that is what readers enjoy.
Vermont Reviews
Vermont Reviews

Favorite Book: Scam Prevention
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 352 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 300 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Post Number:#35 by James Craft
» 07 Apr 2017, 09:42

Vermont Reviews wrote:
gali wrote:I agree it can become predictable. Still, as long as the book is well-written and engaging, I enjoy the ride.

The ride yes that is what readers enjoy.
Vermont Reviews

Yeah, when a book can make you suspend disbelief and just have fun with things like demons and cults then that's the entire point. Sometimes it's just about having a good time.
James Craft

Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#36 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 07 Apr 2017, 13:07

Interestingly enough, the theme of good vs. evil is apparently a universal idea. All societies have some concept of this built in. Good and evil may not always look the same in various societies, but it is there, nonetheless.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "Black Mirrors of the Soul" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 209 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#37 by Rinsola-Usman
» 07 Apr 2017, 20:00

They all seemed evil to me. Just that some were more
Rinsola-Usman

Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 12 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:

Post Number:#38 by Camogirl217
» 09 Apr 2017, 16:41

I would love to see a book that is good vs grey. The enemy is neither good or bad; sometimes they act cruelly and sometimes kindly. They're not trying to take over the world, get revenge, or have more power....they're just sarcastic and bitter. I have nothing against good vs evil, but it'd be nice to shake it up a bit, you know?
Camogirl217's Latest Review: "Pursuing Grace" by Anita Cox
Camogirl217

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#39 by Amagine
» 09 Apr 2017, 17:53

Camogirl217 wrote:I would love to see a book that is good vs grey. The enemy is neither good or bad; sometimes they act cruelly and sometimes kindly. They're not trying to take over the world, get revenge, or have more power....they're just sarcastic and bitter. I have nothing against good vs evil, but it'd be nice to shake it up a bit, you know?

So you want to see an anti-villian type? It's one of my favorites. A villain who you can't completely classify as evil because they have a few redeeming qualities...very few. Also it would be awesome to read a book about grey characters. The kind of characters where you can't figure out if they are good or if they are evil.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#40 by rssllue
» 09 Apr 2017, 18:15

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:The theme of Good vs. Evil features strongly in Raven's Peak. It is a theme as old as time. How do you feel about books that focus on this theme?

I find the biggest downfall with these types of books is that many times they become predictable because we assume Good will prevail. I also dislike when 'evil' characters are one dimensional as they tend to be incredibly annoying to read about.

I do enjoy a classic tale of good versus evil as long it is well-written and engaging. I agree that good often prevails, but that's how many of us were brought up with fairy tales like those made into Disney movies. Imagine bedtime stories where evil wins...no child would sleep soundly, snuggled in their beds!

Didn't that happen often in the original Grimm's? :eusa-think:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue's Latest Review: "Lost Bastards" by L. Todd Wood
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 338 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 24%

Post Number:#41 by classicaltwist
» 10 Apr 2017, 01:28

That's true. Many of the stories Disney adapted actually ended in tragedy or had some disturbing elements. I remember being completely shocked when I read the original Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
classicaltwist's Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
classicaltwist

Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#42 by dhomespot
» 10 Apr 2017, 04:12

I agree that most books about good vs evil usually tend to run the same scope with the same outcome. However, I have read a series where that was not the case in every book. Whether the book runs the same route or goes outside of the line, it does have the ability to make me stop and evaluate on how I am living my life.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
dhomespot

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Post Number:#43 by James Craft
» 10 Apr 2017, 07:22

classicaltwist wrote:That's true. Many of the stories Disney adapted actually ended in tragedy or had some disturbing elements. I remember being completely shocked when I read the original Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.

Yeah, the way in which these books were changed to turn into Disney movies completely changed the original messages and concepts of the stories.
James Craft

Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#44 by classicaltwist
» 10 Apr 2017, 09:50

James Craft wrote:
classicaltwist wrote:That's true. Many of the stories Disney adapted actually ended in tragedy or had some disturbing elements. I remember being completely shocked when I read the original Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen.

Yeah, the way in which these books were changed to turn into Disney movies completely changed the original messages and concepts of the stories.

No kidding! I've read a lot of the original stories and for some of them I was really baffled that someone was able to look at the story and think it would be the good basis for a children's movie.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
classicaltwist's Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
classicaltwist

Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#45 by Books_are_Life
» 11 Apr 2017, 12:40

I do enjoy the Good and Evil battle that is often played out.

I would also like to point out each "side" as they are referred to can be both Good or Evil. It all depends on the perspective that you are viewing it from. The big tell tale sign is if your prospective benefits from one side more than the other than that one side is the Good side.
Books_are_Life's Latest Review: "From The Sky" by J. E.Nicassio
Books_are_Life

Currently Reading: The Revenge of Seven
Bookshelf Size: 928 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

PreviousNext