Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Good vs. Evil

Post by MarisaRose »

The theme of Good vs. Evil features strongly in Raven's Peak. It is a theme as old as time. How do you feel about books that focus on this theme?

I find the biggest downfall with these types of books is that many times they become predictable because we assume Good will prevail. I also dislike when 'evil' characters are one dimensional as they tend to be incredibly annoying to read about.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Yes we assume good will win, but I have read books where it didn't. Those are very disappointing and depressing to me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I agree it can become predictable. Still, as long as the book is well-written and engaging, I enjoy the ride.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

I like this theme. You are right the ending of the story becomes predictable. However, unpredictable events leading to a predictable ending keep me interested.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

My problem with Good versus Evil is that it paints things as black and white. Nothing is black or white, but various shades of gray. Our own prejudices decide what we believe is good or evil based on preconceived notions. This makes the topic lopsided in many instances and thus very predictable on average. I like stories that topple preconception, ones that throw the ideas out on their head and reimagine the what is really right and what is wrong. My favorite stories are ones that turn them around. The good guy is actually bad and the bad guy is good. These, though, also tend to become predictable if the writer lets the true nature's out too early. If someone seems overly good, I always assume they have to have a skeleton in the closet, anything else is just not realistic.
I am a bit of a macabre consumer, though. I tend to enjoy movies and books where evil does prevail as it seems more parallel to the dark realities of the real world. The stunned feeling of how the "good fight" was all for naught.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Call me crazy but I love reading books that have the twisted end where the villian actually wins...or at least gets away with everything. The reason is because that is just more realistic to me. Good doesn't always win in the end. I want to read a book that showcases that.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

This is a very interesting topic to discuss about. What we always fail to understand is that Good should always prevail, and just because it does, it shouldn't mean that it's now boring. I think the strength of a book relies on how strong the author writes and makes the plot so appealing for you wanting good to win.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Bfrisco
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bfrisco.html
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp

Post by Bfrisco »

I find this theme can be interesting when it is done well. Sometimes, it can fall into cliche, but sometimes it's nice to know which side will win, even if you don't know how it will happen. From what I've read so far, this book certainly seems to blur the line a little bit, which I find intriguing.
Latest Review: "Summer Warriors" by Bill Sharp
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

I consider it refreshing. It reminds me that there isevil in this world.it gives me hope that despite the presence of evil, the good will rise.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I like good vs. evil even though it can be predictable. Yee, everyone expects good to win, but sometimes it doesn't. Even if you know good will win, I would rather have that than have evil win.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I find it interesting when it's not the typical black and white evil and good and good prevails. Stories were the antagonist is the main character puts an interesting spin on it, I think. Depends on the readership too: the typical black and white image is pretty appropriate for books aimed at younger readers. At this stage, I find morally challenging more interesting and thought provoking - but when I'm feeling like a lazy read, the typical good vs. evil wins out.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

Aimy wrote:I like this theme. You are right the ending of the story becomes predictable. However, unpredictable events leading to a predictable ending keep me interested.
Great point @Aimy! Though sometimes we may know how a story will end, it can be just as fun seeing how the characters end up there.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Mune wrote:My problem with Good versus Evil is that it paints things as black and white. Nothing is black or white, but various shades of gray. Our own prejudices decide what we believe is good or evil based on preconceived notions. This makes the topic lopsided in many instances and thus very predictable on average. I like stories that topple preconception, ones that throw the ideas out on their head and reimagine the what is really right and what is wrong. My favorite stories are ones that turn them around. The good guy is actually bad and the bad guy is good. These, though, also tend to become predictable if the writer lets the true nature's out too early. If someone seems overly good, I always assume they have to have a skeleton in the closet, anything else is just not realistic.
I am a bit of a macabre consumer, though. I tend to enjoy movies and books where evil does prevail as it seems more parallel to the dark realities of the real world. The stunned feeling of how the "good fight" was all for naught.
I agree that sometimes these books portray things as too black and white. I also wouldn't mind seeing things a little more turned around as far as good and bad guys. However, I still like good prevailing in the end. Probably because it doesn't always turn out that way in real life.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Jasmine M Wardiya wrote:I find it interesting when it's not the typical black and white evil and good and good prevails. Stories were the antagonist is the main character puts an interesting spin on it, I think. Depends on the readership too: the typical black and white image is pretty appropriate for books aimed at younger readers. At this stage, I find morally challenging more interesting and thought provoking - but when I'm feeling like a lazy read, the typical good vs. evil wins out.
I agree with you. I enjoy stories that don't follow the same cookie cutter standard. I enjoy stories where the protagonist is actually evil and the antagonist is the good guy. I also like stories with an anti-hero or an anti-villian. It makes things way more interesting.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

I set a challange for myself, in the novel I'm writing, to write a world entirely without malice, without rage, essentially without evil, and see how much conflict I could get out of a world where everybody is working from good intentions.

It turns out, quite a lot, and a lot is in moral gray areas or "blue and orange morality," that I find a lot more compelling than good vs evil.

Knowing that somebody is kind and loving, and watching them argue in favor of atrocities, for reasons you used to believe yourself--that just feels a lot more interesting to me than moral absolutes.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”