Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Good vs. Evil

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: Good vs. Evil

Post Number:#61 by mariakavo88
» 19 Apr 2017, 13:37

I agree that good vs evil can often times become predictable; however as long as the book is written well and keeps me engaged I do not mind. With that being said I also like a surprise every now and than; however in the end I find myself wishing that good would prevail in the cases when it does not.
mariakavo88's Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
mariakavo88

Currently Reading: Raven's Fall
Bookshelf Size: 10 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#62 by Kdonegan91
» 19 Apr 2017, 13:38

I agree that these books can become predictable. However, the twist and action between the beginning and end is what keeps me reading. On the other hand, the evil character can't be boring and one-dimensional. That completely ruins the book. I enjoy well developed characters that are realistic.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Kdonegan91's Latest Review: "UBER Taxi Cab Confessions" by Joe Mahedy
Kdonegan91

Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: Never Cry Again
Currently Reading: Fused
Bookshelf Size: 69 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Nook HD+ 9
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#63 by Eternal Bookworm
» 19 Apr 2017, 13:47

I agree, the "Good vs. Evil" theme is common, but only because it works. You need each side to play off the other. If there was no evil side, the good side wouldn't be "good". They are good or evil based solely on comparison to their opposite. Plus, if there was no conflict between two sides, how would the storyline develop? Even when the ending is predictable, I love the good vs. evil theme. It gives the story balance.
Eternal Bookworm

Currently Reading: Beautiful Distraction
Bookshelf Size: 9 books

Post Number:#64 by Shein30438
» 20 Apr 2017, 10:11

I think good vs. evil is still a perfectly acceptable story. As long as the story can throw in twists and turns to make it interesting. I prefer when the story portrays characters that are good and bad at the same time. Where you can tell they are battling with themselves to be good, but in order to do good, they do some bad to get there. For example, if they are trying to find a killer and clear their name, they are fighting "bad guys" and hacking computers and stirring up trouble to do so.
Shein30438's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Shein30438

Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 21 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet

Post Number:#65 by Jaime Lync
» 22 Apr 2017, 11:16

I am of the opinion that good should prevail but it should be shown that evil is actually a perverted good....that is, that before there was evil there was good, like we usually hate people only after having loved them....I don't mind being able to predict the end of a book as long as their are twist and turns that I didn't expect before the end.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 275%

Post Number:#66 by Sparkletime
» 22 Apr 2017, 12:25

I think this book is clearly good vs evil but I think a lot of books strive to make it "one side vs the other" and we as reads sometimes assign the "good vs evil" onto different sides. Next time you do this, think about if it's really good vs evil or if it's you sympathizing with one side's goals over the other. I personally try not to think of this theme when reading so that I can enjoy trying to see both sides. I prefer books that really let me understand both sides.
Sparkletime's Latest Review: "Expired Listings" by D.M. Barr
Sparkletime

Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#67 by Donnavila Marie01
» 22 Apr 2017, 19:36

Rebeccaej wrote:I set a challange for myself, in the novel I'm writing, to write a world entirely without malice, without rage, essentially without evil, and see how much conflict I could get out of a world where everybody is working from good intentions.

It turns out, quite a lot, and a lot is in moral gray areas or "blue and orange morality," that I find a lot more compelling than good vs evil.

Knowing that somebody is kind and loving, and watching them argue in favor of atrocities, for reasons you used to believe yourself--that just feels a lot more interesting to me than moral absolutes.

I commend the intention. I agree with the idea that despite the condition that everybody is trying to be good and working for the general welfare, we can still squeeze interesting conflicts because of individual differences and individual perception towards what is best.
Donnavila Marie01

Currently Reading: Thera and the Exodus
Bookshelf Size: 40 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#68 by lamita
» 24 Apr 2017, 01:40

It is indeed a good book.
It reminds us that world is full of good and evil, it is in our hand to choose the right one. Happiness is when unpredictable things turn out to be good.
lamita

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#69 by KaylaA
» 25 Apr 2017, 11:59

Good vs. Evil is a popular theme and can easily be seen as one sided and that "good" should always win. I enjoy when good vs. evil is subjective and that one side is not completely evil or good, but can be either or, depending on your values. This brings in more dynamic characters and explains the reasons for their actions(most of the time).
KaylaA's Latest Review: "Something" by Shelby Lamb
KaylaA

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 40 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#70 by CrescentMoon
» 25 Apr 2017, 13:02

The Good vs. Evil theme is definitely a widespread theme in many stories, but I actually really like it when it is expressed as more of a grey zone instead of black and white. East of Eden by John Steinbeck is one of my favorite books and the good vs. evil theme is strong in that book but moreso in the sense that people are multi dimensional and layered so you can't be purely good but you don't have to be evil.
CrescentMoon's Latest Review: "And the Greatest of These" by Joe Pritchard
CrescentMoon

Currently Reading: Qualify
Bookshelf Size: 53 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#71 by Amagine
» 26 Apr 2017, 06:43

Kdonegan91 wrote:I agree that these books can become predictable. However, the twist and action between the beginning and end is what keeps me reading. On the other hand, the evil character can't be boring and one-dimensional. That completely ruins the book. I enjoy well developed characters that are realistic.

I agree, I love a evil character who is developed and realistic...especially realistic. I hate seeing a villain who is just so...fictional. They are just so poorly created that there is no way they could ever exist in real life.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#72 by James Craft
» 26 Apr 2017, 07:43

CrescentMoon wrote:The Good vs. Evil theme is definitely a widespread theme in many stories, but I actually really like it when it is expressed as more of a grey zone instead of black and white. East of Eden by John Steinbeck is one of my favorite books and the good vs. evil theme is strong in that book but moreso in the sense that people are multi dimensional and layered so you can't be purely good but you don't have to be evil.

Yeah, multidimensional is really great for stories and sometimes it is nice for the good vs evil thing to get flipped on its head.
James Craft

Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 46 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#73 by Amagine
» 26 Apr 2017, 11:02

I would love to read a book that isn't good vs evil. The theme would be two people both doing everything in their power to get what they want. The lines between whose good or whose evil would be blurred. Readers would just have to come up with their own opinions about who they prefer.
There's no such thing as a kid who hates reading. There are kids who love reading, and kids who are reading the wrong books."-James Patterson
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: My Doll & Me: Superheroes Fighting Bullying With Kindness
Bookshelf Size: 617 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 38%

Post Number:#74 by csimmons032
» 28 Apr 2017, 00:58

The whole good vs. evil thing has to be one of the most used topics. I don't know if I can think of a book where it is not used in some form or another though. Even with books that have simpler story lines could follow this topic by just having one of their characters act mean. This doesn't have to even be brought on in any supernatural form, even though it is in many cases. It is tough to say if I would prefer topics without this subject because like I said, I can't really think of an instance where it is not used in a book.
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Ironclad Clay part 1" by Mark Wright
csimmons032

Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Tick Tock Time's Up
Bookshelf Size: 677 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#75 by Abdullah Rana
» 29 Apr 2017, 01:56

I think title of this book is enough for popularity.
Abdullah Rana

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

PreviousNext