What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Post by MarisaRose »

Supernatural stories can be thrilling, scary and even thought provoking. What is your take on the genre? Do you like reading about ghosts and deamons?

I find the genre has been so flooded in the last few years that it can be difficult to come across an original supernatural based story. Do you think the genre has become overly repetitve?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It can be repetitive, but I think there are ways authors can distinguish themselves. Good characters being one. This isn't my usual genre, but I do read one here and there.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I like the genre and enjoy reading about ghosts. I agree it becomes overly repetitive. I don't read as many of those books now due to the lack of originality. Now and then I come across a good one, though.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mune
Currently Reading: Revival
Bookshelf Size: 963
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mune.html
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Mune »

I do agree that it has sort of ran it's course in the traditional aspects, especially with the over production of possession, ghost, and demon movies and stories. Many have a simplistic religious backing and the general demonic or evil entity.

That being said, there is the random gem that can poke through. I would have to say the closest I have seen in the past few years is the movies Sinister and Dream House. As for books, I tend to read the older ones, as many newer ones are rather repetitive. With writers like King and Poe setting my mental basis, it is difficult for many books to live up to those standards.

I think it is time for a fresh twist on these types of stories. Turn tropes on their head and approach them differently. Classic can still be good, but it truly is a flooded market.
Latest Review: "The Silent Shadow" by Patrick Clarke
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I don't like reading stories about spirits and ghosts but I don't mind reading about angels or demons. I occasionally like the supernatural. Even though, I'm more of a contemporary writer/reader.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I think it's a fascinating genre. I'm sure that only a very skilled writer can excel in this genre. Introducing too many or too complex characters might not be very easy to understand. Having an engaging story-line would be very impressive.
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I love this genre because there's so many things an author can do with it. Since it's supernatural, it's up to their imagination and so I find that no two books are alike.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

I like supernatural thriller genre when I notice the originality of the author. There have been so many stories with this genre. If the author is able to distinguish his work from the others, I'd surely love it.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

As it has been mentioned, the genre became flooded so quickly that I never had much interest in it - and originality in all genres is going the way of the dodo but just sometimes a truly talented writer comes along and stands out above the millions of pedestrian books on offer. It really does take a phenomenally creative mind to make a splash these days.
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman

Post by christinac_2585 »

kandscreeley wrote:It can be repetitive, but I think there are ways authors can distinguish themselves. Good characters being one. This isn't my usual genre, but I do read one here and there.
I agree. I believe it has become repetitive but with great characters it can make all the difference. I read this genre and also paranormal romance so I have seen some stories being very similar in storylines.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Honestly, I don't actively seek this genre, however, through OBC, I have found a few that I have enjoyed. As everyone has said, I feel this can become repetitive if authors are not careful.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Swara Sangeet wrote:I think it's a fascinating genre. I'm sure that only a very skilled writer can excel in this genre. Introducing too many or too complex characters might not be very easy to understand. Having an engaging story-line would be very impressive.
I agree that you have to be skilled to write in this genre. You have to be very detail oriented as you must paint a careful picture for thriller fans. Also, there has to be great mysteries and secrets in these types of books as well. I applaud anyone who can write a great thriller novel. It's definitely not for novices.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Supernatural Thrillers are definitely on my top favorites list. I enjoy reading about what seems impossible, so these books are right in line with what I look for!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

I like this genre, but the quality of the characters and whether I'm able to care about them always comes first for me. Sometimes it can be hard to find books that manage to accomplish this.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Supernatural thriller books can be similar, and I have to be in the mood to read them. Some lose my interests if I can't connect with the characters right away.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”