Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves

Re: What do you think of the Supernatural Thriller Genre?

Post Number:#46 by Books_are_Life
» 12 Apr 2017, 15:52

I like this genre. I think the repetition is not bad. I feel it's ok if a couple books have the same "rules" just as long as they have a unique story.
Books_are_Life's Latest Review: "Invasion of the Ortaks" by Sveinn Benónýsson
Books_are_Life

Currently Reading: The Revenge of Seven
Bookshelf Size: 930 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 6 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 12%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#47 by Jaime Lync
» 12 Apr 2017, 18:41

Supernatural thrillers can vary in topics...I don't mind reading about werewolves and vampires but once people start talking about God in a way that seems irreverent to me I am very likely to drop the book. What I mean by my previous statement is a third person narrative with a tone that makes him sound like an authority on religion. I don't mind characters voicing their opinions or even thinking whatever but it really rubs me the wrong way when the author draws what I believe to be uneducated and biased conclusions about God as if they knew God inside out.
I also don't like when they give demons so much power and give angels and God a weak appearance. Even though Constantine has a very poor depiction of God in my view I like how he was able to shut down the devil so easily.
Jaime Lync's Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 483%

Post Number:#48 by Chitopogi
» 14 Apr 2017, 01:00

Nowadays, the Supernatural thriller genre has been overstocked with books and films dealing with it. But when a truly talented author writes a gem of a Supernatural Thriller story like what happened here in Raven's Peak then I applaud the writer and look forward to reading his future works!
Chitopogi

Currently Reading: In the Shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#49 by Jax14
» 17 Apr 2017, 06:09

I love this genre as there are so many facets to it that can be interchanged. I think that recently a lot of "kiddified" versions of stories gave the supernatural aspects a bad press. Personally I love being able to pick up a book and just lose myself in a great story with interesting characters and just switch my mind off. I must say that I have found a few new authors who are changing the genre up a bit which is great.
Publishing Contest ~ 2 Votes ~ View Jax14's Entry
Jax14

Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 475 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#50 by kandscreeley
» 17 Apr 2017, 08:29

Jax14 wrote:I love this genre as there are so many facets to it that can be interchanged. I think that recently a lot of "kiddified" versions of stories gave the supernatural aspects a bad press. Personally I love being able to pick up a book and just lose myself in a great story with interesting characters and just switch my mind off. I must say that I have found a few new authors who are changing the genre up a bit which is great.

You are right. "Supernatural" can encompass many different things. I'm enjoying the authors who are changing it up a bit.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 98 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Post Number:#51 by Amagine
» 17 Apr 2017, 15:55

Chitopogi wrote:Nowadays, the Supernatural thriller genre has been overstocked with books and films dealing with it. But when a truly talented author writes a gem of a Supernatural Thriller story like what happened here in Raven's Peak then I applaud the writer and look forward to reading his future works!

It has been overdone lately. Every where you look, supernatural books and tv shows are everywhere! The problem is, they all resemble each other too much and there's no longer any individuality.
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

"Once you learn to read, you will be forever free." -Frederick Douglass
Amagine's Latest Review: "The Tattered Box" by Paul Schumacher
Amagine

Favorite Author: James Patterson
Favorite Book: Writing for Children and Teens
Currently Reading: The Little Witch
Bookshelf Size: 692 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#52 by Sarah G
» 19 Apr 2017, 12:51

I think this genre can have some of the best plot twists as the characters are so very different from us, that they react in ways we could never imagine. I really do like the imagination required for this style.
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Sarah G's Latest Review: "11:11" by John Hallar
Sarah G

Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#53 by CrescentMoon
» 25 Apr 2017, 13:03

I absolutely love the supernatural thriller genre. I know that it can become repetitive and predictable in some cases but for the most part, for me, I usually pick and choose what I like. There are some supernatural stories like Twilight that I am not a fan of so I tend to avoid those, but I love other ones like Supernatural and the X-Files.
CrescentMoon

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#54 by Amagine
» 26 Apr 2017, 11:09

Sarah G wrote:I think this genre can have some of the best plot twists as the characters are so very different from us, that they react in ways we could never imagine. I really do like the imagination required for this style.

That is one compliment I will give this genre is that there can be some pretty cool plot twists.
"That's the thing about books. They let you travel without moving your feet." -Jhumpa Lahiri

Amagine

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#55 by godreaujea
» 27 Apr 2017, 22:47

I tend to like them and think of them as a guilty pleasure. However, after the Twilight series, I think it has gotten flooded, and hard to find a good, substantial series, especially one without romance.
godreaujea's Latest Review: "The Angel Strikes" by Oliver Fairfax
godreaujea

Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 340 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 62%

Post Number:#56 by Amagine
» 27 Apr 2017, 22:55

godreaujea wrote:I tend to like them and think of them as a guilty pleasure. However, after the Twilight series, I think it has gotten flooded, and hard to find a good, substantial series, especially one without romance.

Yes, the Twilight series came along and the next thing you know,vampires and werewolves were everywhere! Teen Wolf, Vampire Diaries and there's many more. I'm kind of glad that the supernatural craze is thinning out a little bit.

Amagine

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#57 by csimmons032
» 28 Apr 2017, 00:45

You know, I used to enjoy supernatural teen fiction novels a lot. After a while though, they all became boring too me, kind of like I was reading the same things over and over again. That's why for the most part I stopped reading supernatural stories, I prefer books that have more normal story lines.
csimmons032's Latest Review: "Transforming Faith" by Fred Howard
csimmons032

Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: The Cowboy Comes Home
Bookshelf Size: 707 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#58 by Meggie Lou
» 30 Apr 2017, 09:52

While I prefer the fantasy and sci-fi genre, the supernatural thriller will always have a place in my heart. Mostly because of Edgar Allen Poe.
Meggie Lou's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Meggie Lou

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 34%

Post Number:#59 by Amagine
» 30 Apr 2017, 10:25

Meggie Lou wrote:While I prefer the fantasy and sci-fi genre, the supernatural thriller will always have a place in my heart. Mostly because of Edgar Allen Poe.

He is a classic. He was a favorite of mine back in high school but a lot of that was because I was a dark teenager with some twisted interests.

As an adult, I recognize his poetic writing style and admire that more than I do the content of his works.

Amagine

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#60 by CTdeF
» 13 May 2017, 15:06

I have to say that the prologue in Raven's Peak was almost too much gore for me to continue. I understand why it needed to be in the book, but I'm so glad the next section of the story wasn't so graphic. I haven't finished yet so I don't know if it gets ickier again before the end though. I am not overly familiar with the supernatural genre per se, although I'm an Anne Rice fan, so I can't say if Raven's Peak is a typical example or not. Any opinions on that?
CTdeF

Currently Reading: Teach and Grow Rich: Share Your Knowledge to Create Global Impact, Freedom and Wealth
Bookshelf Size: 57 books

View Reviewer Page

PreviousNext