All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Post Reply
User avatar
christinac_2585
Posts: 441
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 18:43
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
Location: South Carolina

Re: All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Post by christinac_2585 » 02 Apr 2017, 10:14

Amagine wrote:My favorite supernatural series is The Magicians (if that counts). I also enjoy reading the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries (from True Blood). Those books are packed with different types of supernaturals.
I read the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries before the True Blood series came out. I like the book more, but each have their on individuality.

-- 02 Apr 2017, 13:10 --

Has anyone seen the preview of the new remake of Stephen King's IT? I think it looks scarier than the original from 1990. Pennywise the clown is where my fear of clowns came from. I would like to read the book to see the differences and maybe try to overcome my fear.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen

User avatar
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves
Posts: 4755
Joined: 17 Jul 2015, 20:19
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 98
Currently Reading: Anastasia’s Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 387
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hsimone.html
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
Signature Addition: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53140
Location: Snuggling with a Book :)

Post by hsimone » 02 Apr 2017, 13:40

MarisaRose wrote:
gali wrote:I liked: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "Undead and Unwed" by MaryJanice Davidson, "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green, "Escape Clause" by GA VanDruff (I reviewed the last two). There are more, but I don't recall them right now.
I also really enjoyed "A Discovery of Witches" ! I thought the author put a nice spin on the typical supernatural characters.
I also like A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness! Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green was also a good one. However, one of my favorites, I think, is the The Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris - I read the entire series twice!
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4

User avatar
MarisaRose
Posts: 1027
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: "SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Cancer, Bravery and Courage" by Robert Martin with Keira Ely
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose » 02 Apr 2017, 13:49

hsimone wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:
gali wrote:I liked: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "Undead and Unwed" by MaryJanice Davidson, "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green, "Escape Clause" by GA VanDruff (I reviewed the last two). There are more, but I don't recall them right now.
I also really enjoyed "A Discovery of Witches" ! I thought the author put a nice spin on the typical supernatural characters.
I also like A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness! Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green was also a good one. However, one of my favorites, I think, is the The Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris - I read the entire series twice!
I think we have many similar likes @hsimone ! I too really enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse books (even more so than True Blood). I think the books were so fun because they were easy to read but the characters were still well developed. The author did a great job of keeping the series interesting, even with so many installments. :techie-studyingbrown:
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

User avatar
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 02 Apr 2017, 19:03

Brea_21 wrote:I am a huge supernatural fan! I read a lot of teen fiction. Overall my favorites are anything by Charlaine Harris who is the author of many great books! Her Midnight Crossing series is a lot like Ravens Peak!
Call me uninformed but I didn't know she wrote other books besides her Sookie Stackhouse series. You said that Midnight Crossing is similar to Raven's Peak. Is there any demon hunting happening in the book?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
christinac_2585
Posts: 441
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 18:43
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
Location: South Carolina

Post by christinac_2585 » 02 Apr 2017, 19:43

Amagine wrote:
Brea_21 wrote:I am a huge supernatural fan! I read a lot of teen fiction. Overall my favorites are anything by Charlaine Harris who is the author of many great books! Her Midnight Crossing series is a lot like Ravens Peak!
Call me uninformed but I didn't know she wrote other books besides her Sookie Stackhouse series. You said that Midnight Crossing is similar to Raven's Peak. Is there any demon hunting happening in the book?
I knew she had a couple others, but this series is new for me too! I read on her website that it and another series she has is coming to tv or is already on. Here is her website to take a look. http://charlaineharris.com/?page_id=923
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen

User avatar
Jessica Samuelsen
Posts: 49
Joined: 09 Mar 2017, 19:19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jessica Samuelsen » 02 Apr 2017, 20:20

I have to be cheesy and say Twilight.

-- 02 Apr 2017, 20:26 --

I hate to be cheesy but it's Twilight for me the books and the movies.

User avatar
ZenaLei7
Posts: 469
Joined: 07 Jan 2017, 14:25
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: "Listening I Hear Your Voices" by Stephanie A. Hunter R.N.,MSW

Post by ZenaLei7 » 02 Apr 2017, 20:43

The first supernatural series that I fell in love with was Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I absolutely loved the books but I hated the movies. I feel like the movies were an awful representation of what the book was about.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

User avatar
klbradley
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 1897
Joined: 10 Oct 2015, 21:45
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Opposites Attract
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: "The String Effect" by Alfred K Watson
Reading Device: 1400697484
Location: Kentucky

Post by klbradley » 02 Apr 2017, 21:22

Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) has always been my favorite, then probably followed by The Vampire Diaries. It took me a while to finally start watching that one because I thought it would be too much of a "high school drama" series for me. But once I started, I was hooked!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

User avatar
Rebeccaej
Posts: 107
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 19:49
Favorite Book: Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej » 02 Apr 2017, 22:54

X-files and Buffy are definitely up there for me.

Ckennedy
Posts: 32
Joined: 29 Mar 2017, 16:21
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy » 02 Apr 2017, 23:39

True blood!! It is so cheesy but I LOVE IT.

User avatar
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator
Posts: 5408
Joined: 04 Mar 2017, 19:27
2017 Reading Goal: 400
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Bookshelf Size: 742
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251
Location: Lost in My Imagination

Post by Amagine » 03 Apr 2017, 02:09

christinac_2585 wrote:
Amagine wrote:
Brea_21 wrote:I am a huge supernatural fan! I read a lot of teen fiction. Overall my favorites are anything by Charlaine Harris who is the author of many great books! Her Midnight Crossing series is a lot like Ravens Peak!
Call me uninformed but I didn't know she wrote other books besides her Sookie Stackhouse series. You said that Midnight Crossing is similar to Raven's Peak. Is there any demon hunting happening in the book?
I knew she had a couple others, but this series is new for me too! I read on her website that it and another series she has is coming to tv or is already on. Here is her website to take a look. http://charlaineharris.com/?page_id=923
Thanks for the link! I'm going to look up some of her other series now! It seems she really is an author who likes writing about the supernatural. So if anyone ask me who my favorite author in this genre is, I know what name to always say!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown

User avatar
Gingerbo0ks
Posts: 734
Joined: 19 Mar 2017, 13:59
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Location: UK

Post by Gingerbo0ks » 03 Apr 2017, 02:10

klbradley wrote:Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) has always been my favorite, then probably followed by The Vampire Diaries. It took me a while to finally start watching that one because I thought it would be too much of a "high school drama" series for me. But once I started, I was hooked!
The final season of The Vampire Diaries is probably​ its weakest, but it's​ idea was good, all about hell and taking people to hell etc. It's spin off, The Originals is full of supernaturals, have you seen that? It's gripping!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

User avatar
ashley_claire
Posts: 360
Joined: 03 Mar 2015, 03:13
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading: black-eyed susans
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings

Post by ashley_claire » 03 Apr 2017, 07:51

I've also read the entire Sookie Steakhouse series and loved it. I read up to the 7th book in the Anita Blake series before I lost interest. I didn't mind that romance was one aspects of the books, but when it started to turn into more of a romance than supernatural series I had to give up.

User avatar
MarisaRose
Posts: 1027
Joined: 03 Sep 2016, 15:34
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 400
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Sleepwalker
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: "SuperClara - A Young Girl's Story of Cancer, Bravery and Courage" by Robert Martin with Keira Ely
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose » 03 Apr 2017, 07:56

ashley_claire wrote:I've also read the entire Sookie Steakhouse series and loved it. I read up to the 7th book in the Anita Blake series before I lost interest. I didn't mind that romance was one aspects of the books, but when it started to turn into more of a romance than supernatural series I had to give up.
I completely agree with your comment about the Anita Blake series. It started out so strong but slowly went downhill. I'm surprised you made it to the 7th book! I think I stopped after the 5th.... I also felt like the books became really formulaic and predictable.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson

User avatar
gali
Site Admin
Posts: 25240
Joined: 22 Oct 2013, 07:12
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 105
Currently Reading: The Cat Who Blew the Whistle
Bookshelf Size: 1768
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484
Location: Lost in a good book

Post by gali » 03 Apr 2017, 10:04

hsimone wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:
gali wrote:I liked: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "Undead and Unwed" by MaryJanice Davidson, "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green, "Escape Clause" by GA VanDruff (I reviewed the last two). There are more, but I don't recall them right now.
I also really enjoyed "A Discovery of Witches" ! I thought the author put a nice spin on the typical supernatural characters.
I also like A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness! Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green was also a good one. However, one of my favorites, I think, is the The Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris - I read the entire series twice!
Sookie Stackhouse series is on my reading list, but I have never got around to start it.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”