All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
ReadtoLive
Bookshelf Size: 531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readtolive.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Re: All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Post by ReadtoLive »

bluegreenmarina wrote:I'm a child of the 90s so the X-files were a huge part of my life as were the Anne Rice vampire chronicles!
I loved the X Files too! Great show with great chemistry between it's leads.

-- 21 Apr 2017, 15:43 --
classicaltwist wrote:American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I love mythology, so forgotten Gods living on the fringes of society was right up my alley.
Sounds like an interesting book. I'm gonna put it on my to-read list.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

All of these shows made me realize that there aren't that many good supernatural series anymore. Now, it's all about superheroes all the time.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Miche Sora
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora »

I enjoy anything by Lilith Saintcrow, especially Dante Valentine. Kay Hooper is sort of in the supernatural/thriller subgenre; no matter, she's good and I've been reading her books for years. Deborah Harkness' trilogy was fantastic...I could go on for ages, but that's what comes to mind at the moment. I like the X-Files, and I'm told Stranger Things is supposed to be really good.
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs
13Vulpes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-13vulpes.html
Latest Review: 28 Disastrous Dates: A (Mostly True) Humourous Memoir by Poppy Mortimer

Post by 13Vulpes »

Instead of choosing a book I choose authors here. Work of Neil Gaiman is really imaginative, supernatural series Patrol (free translation, because I don´t know if this work was translated to english) by S. V. Lukjaněnko is full of action, work of Andrzej Pilipiuk is the one of the most humorous things I have ever read. I like reading also Heartblaze series by Shay Roberts and Legacy series by Ryan Attard recently. King of horror is Stephen King for me and princes are Darren Shan and Joe Hill.

As to films I would like to add Odd Thomas, Beautiful Creatures, Crimson Peak and some supernatural and horror films with Johnny Depp. And I used to love watching serial Teen Wolf.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

13Vulpes wrote:Instead of choosing a book I choose authors here. Work of Neil Gaiman is really imaginative, supernatural series Patrol (free translation, because I don´t know if this work was translated to english) by S. V. Lukjaněnko is full of action, work of Andrzej Pilipiuk is the one of the most humorous things I have ever read. I like reading also Heartblaze series by Shay Roberts and Legacy series by Ryan Attard recently. King of horror is Stephen King for me and princes are Darren Shan and Joe Hill.

As to films I would like to add Odd Thomas, Beautiful Creatures, Crimson Peak and some supernatural and horror films with Johnny Depp. And I used to love watching serial Teen Wolf.
I just came here to add Teen Wolf to the list! It's supernatural but also full of mystery, and the first two seasons were the best. This show ticks all the boxes; supernatural and human characters, small town with strange happenings, murder mystery, family secrets, family feuds, teenage angst, adults bent on revenge, a bit of romance, myths and legends and all kinds of supernatural.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Sparkletime
Currently Reading: The Tombs of Atuan
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparkletime.html
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed

Post by Sparkletime »

Does "The Paper Magician" and the rest of that series count? I really loved those books. I like the idea of using paper for magic.

I think a video game I love that has supernatural elements is Deadly Premonition. I know you left out video games but they can be an interesting story telling medium too!
Latest Review: "The Protectors, The First Coming" by Jonathan Gregory Reed
ktrae910
Currently Reading: Bad to the Bone
Bookshelf Size: 7569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ktrae910.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs

Post by ktrae910 »

Has to be Supernatural, the Series. After that, Anita Blake, Dark Hunter, etc...
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William E. Combs
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Gingerbo0ks wrote:
13Vulpes wrote:Instead of choosing a book I choose authors here. Work of Neil Gaiman is really imaginative, supernatural series Patrol (free translation, because I don´t know if this work was translated to english) by S. V. Lukjaněnko is full of action, work of Andrzej Pilipiuk is the one of the most humorous things I have ever read. I like reading also Heartblaze series by Shay Roberts and Legacy series by Ryan Attard recently. King of horror is Stephen King for me and princes are Darren Shan and Joe Hill.

I just came here to add Teen Wolf to the list! It's supernatural but also full of mystery, and the first two seasons were the best. This show ticks all the boxes; supernatural and human characters, small town with strange happenings, murder mystery, family secrets, family feuds, teenage angst, adults bent on revenge, a bit of romance, myths and legends and all kinds of supernatural.
I watched a few episodes of Teen Wolf but I just couldn't get connected to the characters or the series. I think by that time I was just tired of all the vampire and werewolve stuff.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

Tsheola Asavela
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsheola-asavela.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Tsheola Asavela »

All time favourite supernatural titles are:
1. Book = 'The Dark Half' by Stephen King
2. Series = 'The X-Files' (the old series)
3. Movie = 'Lucy' (although it is also Sci-Fi)

That is all I could quickly think of because there's obviously a few more.
T. A.
'Art of the Pen.'
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

I tend to find the idea scary but after a few pages i always find myself being absorbed and intrigue. I think that might be the reason why i keep on going back for more.
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Tsheola Asavela wrote:All time favourite supernatural titles are:
1. Book = 'The Dark Half' by Stephen King
2. Series = 'The X-Files' (the old series)
3. Movie = 'Lucy' (although it is also Sci-Fi)

That is all I could quickly think of because there's obviously a few more.
How was the movie, Lucy? I keep getting mixed reviews about it.

Jessiebessie123
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Jessiebessie123 »

I found it insightfull it was very artistic and feministic from my point of view.

Love it!
Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Amagine wrote:
Gingerbo0ks wrote:

I watched a few episodes of Teen Wolf but I just couldn't get connected to the characters or the series. I think by that time I was just tired of all the vampire and werewolve stuff.
Ah that's a shame, there is some good characters (there were some excellent female characters). I liked the show because there were no vampires, but I hadn't seen a werewolf show in a while.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
Amagine

Post by Amagine »

Yeah it does seem like they've stopped making shows with vampires and werewolves lately. Now the latest craze is superheroes. I'm waiting for that one to die down.

Gingerbo0ks

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

Yeah I can't seem to get on board with superheros. There is also a few zombie shows about recently too maybe that's the new thing.

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”