All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: All time favorite supernatural book/series/movie?

Post by christinac_2585 »

Amagine wrote:My favorite supernatural series is The Magicians (if that counts). I also enjoy reading the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries (from True Blood). Those books are packed with different types of supernaturals.
I read the Sookie Stackhouse Mysteries before the True Blood series came out. I like the book more, but each have their on individuality.

-- 02 Apr 2017, 13:10 --

Has anyone seen the preview of the new remake of Stephen King's IT? I think it looks scarier than the original from 1990. Pennywise the clown is where my fear of clowns came from. I would like to read the book to see the differences and maybe try to overcome my fear.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

MarisaRose wrote:
gali wrote:I liked: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "Undead and Unwed" by MaryJanice Davidson, "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green, "Escape Clause" by GA VanDruff (I reviewed the last two). There are more, but I don't recall them right now.
I also really enjoyed "A Discovery of Witches" ! I thought the author put a nice spin on the typical supernatural characters.
I also like A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness! Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green was also a good one. However, one of my favorites, I think, is the The Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris - I read the entire series twice!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

hsimone wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:
gali wrote:I liked: "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness, "Undead and Unwed" by MaryJanice Davidson, "Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green, "Escape Clause" by GA VanDruff (I reviewed the last two). There are more, but I don't recall them right now.
I also really enjoyed "A Discovery of Witches" ! I thought the author put a nice spin on the typical supernatural characters.
I also like A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness! Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green was also a good one. However, one of my favorites, I think, is the The Southern Vampire Mysteries (Sookie Stackhouse) by Charlaine Harris - I read the entire series twice!
I think we have many similar likes @hsimone ! I too really enjoyed the Sookie Stackhouse books (even more so than True Blood). I think the books were so fun because they were easy to read but the characters were still well developed. The author did a great job of keeping the series interesting, even with so many installments. :techie-studyingbrown:
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Brea_21 wrote:I am a huge supernatural fan! I read a lot of teen fiction. Overall my favorites are anything by Charlaine Harris who is the author of many great books! Her Midnight Crossing series is a lot like Ravens Peak!
Call me uninformed but I didn't know she wrote other books besides her Sookie Stackhouse series. You said that Midnight Crossing is similar to Raven's Peak. Is there any demon hunting happening in the book?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html

Post by christinac_2585 »

Amagine wrote:
Brea_21 wrote:I am a huge supernatural fan! I read a lot of teen fiction. Overall my favorites are anything by Charlaine Harris who is the author of many great books! Her Midnight Crossing series is a lot like Ravens Peak!
Call me uninformed but I didn't know she wrote other books besides her Sookie Stackhouse series. You said that Midnight Crossing is similar to Raven's Peak. Is there any demon hunting happening in the book?
I knew she had a couple others, but this series is new for me too! I read on her website that it and another series she has is coming to tv or is already on. Here is her website to take a look. http://charlaineharris.com/?page_id=923
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Jessica Samuelsen
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessica-samuelsen.html
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch

Post by Jessica Samuelsen »

I have to be cheesy and say Twilight.

-- 02 Apr 2017, 20:26 --

I hate to be cheesy but it's Twilight for me the books and the movies.
Latest Review: "Raquel Says (Something Entirely Unexpected)" by Mois benarroch
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

The first supernatural series that I fell in love with was Twilight by Stephanie Meyer. I absolutely loved the books but I hated the movies. I feel like the movies were an awful representation of what the book was about.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) has always been my favorite, then probably followed by The Vampire Diaries. It took me a while to finally start watching that one because I thought it would be too much of a "high school drama" series for me. But once I started, I was hooked!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

X-files and Buffy are definitely up there for me.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Ckennedy
Currently Reading: Divergent
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ckennedy.html
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer

Post by Ckennedy »

True blood!! It is so cheesy but I LOVE IT.
Latest Review: "My Trip to Adele" by A.I.Alyaseer, R.I.Alyaseer
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

christinac_2585 wrote:
Amagine wrote:
I knew she had a couple others, but this series is new for me too! I read on her website that it and another series she has is coming to tv or is already on. Here is her website to take a look. http://charlaineharris.com/?page_id=923
Thanks for the link! I'm going to look up some of her other series now! It seems she really is an author who likes writing about the supernatural. So if anyone ask me who my favorite author in this genre is, I know what name to always say!
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

klbradley wrote:Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) has always been my favorite, then probably followed by The Vampire Diaries. It took me a while to finally start watching that one because I thought it would be too much of a "high school drama" series for me. But once I started, I was hooked!
The final season of The Vampire Diaries is probably​ its weakest, but it's​ idea was good, all about hell and taking people to hell etc. It's spin off, The Originals is full of supernaturals, have you seen that? It's gripping!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I've also read the entire Sookie Steakhouse series and loved it. I read up to the 7th book in the Anita Blake series before I lost interest. I didn't mind that romance was one aspects of the books, but when it started to turn into more of a romance than supernatural series I had to give up.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

ashley_claire wrote:I've also read the entire Sookie Steakhouse series and loved it. I read up to the 7th book in the Anita Blake series before I lost interest. I didn't mind that romance was one aspects of the books, but when it started to turn into more of a romance than supernatural series I had to give up.
I completely agree with your comment about the Anita Blake series. It started out so strong but slowly went downhill. I'm surprised you made it to the 7th book! I think I stopped after the 5th.... I also felt like the books became really formulaic and predictable.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:
Sookie Stackhouse series is on my reading list, but I have never got around to start it.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”