Opinion and Rating of Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Discuss the April 2017 Book of the Month, Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
christinac_2585
Currently Reading: City of Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinac-2585.html
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Opinion and Rating of Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by christinac_2585 »

kandscreeley wrote:
James Craft wrote:
christinac_2585 wrote:I gave it a 3 out 4 stars. I like how it was action packed and never a dull moment. I also like how Abigail and Haatim connected and helped each other without really knowing it. I wasn't to happy about the ending but I think it gives you a good idea of how the second book is going to start.
Yeah, generally a lot of people were a little frustrated by the ending. For me, it felt more like an 'afterword' then an ending, but being a piece of the book detracted from the entire thing.

I hope the author learns from that in the future.
If you read in the author questions post, it appears the publishers made that chapter that everyone dislikes as part of the first book instead of a peek in the next book. I thought that was very interesting.
Wow that is interesting. Thank you for the information. I'm trying to think what their reasoning was behind that decision but I am at a loss.
"Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home."
- Anna Quindlen
Latest Review: "The firstborn" by Helena K Workman
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

kandscreeley wrote:
James Craft wrote:
christinac_2585 wrote:I gave it a 3 out 4 stars. I like how it was action packed and never a dull moment. I also like how Abigail and Haatim connected and helped each other without really knowing it. I wasn't to happy about the ending but I think it gives you a good idea of how the second book is going to start.
Yeah, generally a lot of people were a little frustrated by the ending. For me, it felt more like an 'afterword' then an ending, but being a piece of the book detracted from the entire thing.

I hope the author learns from that in the future.
If you read in the author questions post, it appears the publishers made that chapter that everyone dislikes as part of the first book instead of a peek in the next book. I thought that was very interesting.
Ah, that is interesting. Publishers do some crazy things sometimes.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote:I enjoyed the story and rated it 3 out of 4 as well. I found the characters easy to relate. There wasn't enough background on Haatim and Arthur, but it may be given in the next installment. The story line flows smoothly and there isn't a dull moment. It certainly kept my interest, though like you I wish for a more satisfying ending.
Gali, you and I are of the same minds in many things, including this one. I also thought there wasn't enough of Arthur's and Haatim's background, but the storyline was smooth and held my interest throughout. The ending could have been better, but you can definitely see that the author can certainly tell a story. My rating was also a 3 out of 4 stars for these reasons.

-- 05 Apr 2017, 17:54 --
kandscreeley wrote: If you read in the author questions post, it appears the publishers made that chapter that everyone dislikes as part of the first book instead of a peek in the next book. I thought that was very interesting.
I did see that, and it's too bad because, like I've said, the author definitely can tell a tale!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:I enjoyed the story and rated it 3 out of 4 as well. I found the characters easy to relate. There wasn't enough background on Haatim and Arthur, but it may be given in the next installment. The story line flows smoothly and there isn't a dull moment. It certainly kept my interest, though like you I wish for a more satisfying ending.
Gali, you and I are of the same minds in many things, including this one. I also thought there wasn't enough of Arthur's and Haatim's background, but the storyline was smooth and held my interest throughout. The ending could have been better, but you can definitely see that the author can certainly tell a story. My rating was also a 3 out of 4 stars for these reasons.

-- 05 Apr 2017, 17:54 --
kandscreeley wrote: If you read in the author questions post, it appears the publishers made that chapter that everyone dislikes as part of the first book instead of a peek in the next book. I thought that was very interesting.
I did see that, and it's too bad because, like I've said, the author definitely can tell a tale!
Indeed! And he can certainly tell a tale!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

MarisaRose wrote:After finishing Raven's Peak, what is your overall opinion and star rating?

I enjoyed the story, I thought it started out strong and the pacing kept me going, but I had a hard time connecting with/liking some of the main character. I also wish the ending had been a little more satisfying! (Even though I understand it is the first in the series.)

Overall, I rate Raven's Peak 3 out of 4 stars and look forward to the next installment.
I enjoyed the story from its beginning to its end. I would have liked it if Abigail had been able to find the relic in the caverns but it did make for an interesting cliff hanger. I would rate this story 4 out of 4 stars since it grabbed my attention, had strong characters and lots of action, and is in one of my favorite genres!
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:
MarisaRose wrote:After finishing Raven's Peak, what is your overall opinion and star rating?

I enjoyed the story, I thought it started out strong and the pacing kept me going, but I had a hard time connecting with/liking some of the main character. I also wish the ending had been a little more satisfying! (Even though I understand it is the first in the series.)

Overall, I rate Raven's Peak 3 out of 4 stars and look forward to the next installment.
I enjoyed the story from its beginning to its end. I would have liked it if Abigail had been able to find the relic in the caverns but it did make for an interesting cliff hanger. I would rate this story 4 out of 4 stars since it grabbed my attention, had strong characters and lots of action, and is in one of my favorite genres!
One of my current favorites too! I would love to see if you like the second or third books as much (just started the third entry myself!)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

I would say 4 out of 4
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I think I rate it 4 out of 4. It had good pacing, held my attention, and I actually liked the ending okay. I think that unnecessary elements are left out of the story and this helped the plot move along. I also really like how the events of the final battle were unexpected. I felt like there was probably something there. I am looking forward to reading the next books.
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I really enjoyed the storyline. The characters were okay but could have been more relatable. There were occasional typos but not so many to distract from the main storyline. I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars and look forward to continuing the series. I like that Haatim and Abigail had a friendship rather than a romance. It was a different twist in books of similar genre.
Madison Degraffenreid
Chitopogi
Currently Reading: the marvelous adventures of gwendolyn gray
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitopogi.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chitopogi »

I rate the book 3.8 out of 4 stars. It has a perfect plot and the characterization can be made more detailed in order for the reader to know where the characters are coming from. Plus the ending can be made more satisfying for the reader. Remember, the book was made for the reader, the buyer. Remember, he who holds the purse must be made to want to buy the next installment.
Dotrus
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dotrus.html

Post by Dotrus »

The Ravens Peak
Rating: 4/4
The book is full of action and carries one from one event to another. Lincoln Cole’s artistic approach and efficient use of stylistic devices makes the ‘Ravens Peak’ one of the best books ever. The book is divided into three phases, each narrating different ordeals as experienced by the characters, but all joined to form a very interesting story. The prologue introduces us to reverend Arthur, one of the main characters in the book. The action begins in the cell giving us a glimpse into the life of Arthur in prison. Cole deliberately introduces the reader to the negative side of Arthur, thereby providing room for premature judgment about the character. He in his ways creates a character who finds solace in hurting himself. This is one of the author’s best ways of making the reader more curious.
The book combines the 21st century events and those assumed to be only possible in the past centuries. Combining demon narratives, fighting using salt, chasing demons, demonic attacks and the description of the ravens peak takes the reader back to the events of the past centuries. However, the use of modern technology, influence of the social media and the hypocrisy of the current world leaders awakens one from the dream and makes the events in the book more real and believable.
The biggest artistic twist is achieved when Cole combines superstition and reality. Frieda is one of the leaders but fears losing power due to Aroma’s machinations. The male dominated group is uncomfortable with Frieda’s leadership and is out to sabotage her efforts. Aroma’s secret association with the enemy’s camp for personal gains is a true reflection of the current political leaders who associate with leaders perceived to be enemies, secretly for the own selfish interests.
Lincoln Cole’s creativity in creating demons and describing the war between the reverend and the demon makes the whole story more interesting. In short, it brings the scene in your living room. The scenes are fast paced and entertaining. If you thought watching a movie is interesting, then I bet you read The Raven peak. It left me wondering when the movie on the same story will be released. Will Abigail save people of Ravens peak? What really happens in the demonic world? How do the two worlds connect? Read the Raven’s Peak now
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Dotrus wrote:The Ravens Peak
Rating: 4/4
The book is full of action and carries one from one event to another. Lincoln Cole’s artistic approach and efficient use of stylistic devices makes the ‘Ravens Peak’ one of the best books ever. The book is divided into three phases, each narrating different ordeals as experienced by the characters, but all joined to form a very interesting story. The prologue introduces us to reverend Arthur, one of the main characters in the book. The action begins in the cell giving us a glimpse into the life of Arthur in prison. Cole deliberately introduces the reader to the negative side of Arthur, thereby providing room for premature judgment about the character. He in his ways creates a character who finds solace in hurting himself. This is one of the author’s best ways of making the reader more curious.
The book combines the 21st century events and those assumed to be only possible in the past centuries. Combining demon narratives, fighting using salt, chasing demons, demonic attacks and the description of the ravens peak takes the reader back to the events of the past centuries. However, the use of modern technology, influence of the social media and the hypocrisy of the current world leaders awakens one from the dream and makes the events in the book more real and believable.
The biggest artistic twist is achieved when Cole combines superstition and reality. Frieda is one of the leaders but fears losing power due to Aroma’s machinations. The male dominated group is uncomfortable with Frieda’s leadership and is out to sabotage her efforts. Aroma’s secret association with the enemy’s camp for personal gains is a true reflection of the current political leaders who associate with leaders perceived to be enemies, secretly for the own selfish interests.
Lincoln Cole’s creativity in creating demons and describing the war between the reverend and the demon makes the whole story more interesting. In short, it brings the scene in your living room. The scenes are fast paced and entertaining. If you thought watching a movie is interesting, then I bet you read The Raven peak. It left me wondering when the movie on the same story will be released. Will Abigail save people of Ravens peak? What really happens in the demonic world? How do the two worlds connect? Read the Raven’s Peak now

Good Review of the book! :handgestures-thumbup:
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
MTReader91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtreader91.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by MTReader91 »

I loved it although I did find a few grammatical errors as well as some name changes. I scored it 3.5 out of 4.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Even though I gave it 3 because of the ending of the first book, I still did find the overall plot and characters interesting.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I have it 4 out of 4 stars! It's an entertaining and fast paced read, and it reminds me a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I love! Looking forward to the next in the series :)

Return to “Discuss "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole”