Official Review: Studs, Tools and Fools by Kathleen Hering

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Studs, Tools and Fools by Kathleen Hering

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Studs, Tools and Fools" by Kathleen Hering.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It was a classic case of being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Laura Howard, an interior designer living in Portland, Oregon, was just going about her business at the bank when an armed robber disrupted everyone’s day. It wasn’t her idea to clothesline the robber so that he would be apprehended by police. She didn’t plan to have to wash out her new suit jacket after yakking all over it at the sight of blood, so it wasn’t her fault that she wasn’t interviewed by police at the scene and consequently forgot a few details. Laura’s friends and the police officers would love to merely sigh and shake their heads at her antics and logic, but a string of creepy events are leading some people to think that maybe there are still a few loose ends left to tie down.

Studs, Tools, and Fools by Kathleen Hering is a humorous mystery sprinkled with interior decorating wisdom at the end of each chapter. The characters are quirky, the plot moves quickly, and the humor is infectious. Although this is the third book in the series about the Graham Construction business partners, it didn’t spoil my enjoyment of the book. While I was reading Studs, Tools, and Fools, I could tell that there have been previous adventures that contributed to the characters’ relationships, but there were neither overt spoilers nor missing information. The characters are so vivid and engaging that the book can really stand alone. There were a few moments where the plot seemed over-the-top, but this exaggeration contributed to rather than detracted from the humor and quirkiness.

My favorite moment of the book was when the gruffer of the two main police officers is interviewing a suspect. As the officer is conducting the interview, he accuses the suspect of being a “flower killer”. (I won’t tell you if the suspect admitted to that charge or denied it.) The officer immediately realizes how much he’s been influenced by the intrepid Laura Howard because “flower killer” is not a regular phrase in his law-enforcement vocabulary. This moment of transformation illustrates not only the humor infused even into the more serious moments, but it also speaks to the quality of character development as one character has a subtly-building influence on another.

Throughout the book, readers will find exemplary editing and a smooth, engaging writing style. Although there’s a little romance in these pages, it stays clean, so the book is suitable for all ages. It’s a quick read at less than 300 pages, and let’s be honest, once you start it, you probably won’t want to stop.

It should come as no surprise that I rate Studs, Tools, and Fools 4 out of 4 stars. Back when this book was Book of the Day, it was the picture of the cat on the front that drew me in. Having read the book, I can let other prospective readers know that Louise the (male) Cat is only one of the many vibrant, funny characters that Kathleen Hering will introduce. Take an afternoon or two and lose yourself in laughter with this one.

Studs, Tools and Fools
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero »

If its humorous then I'll definitely read it. Thanks for the review.
BTW as its a sequel, do I need to read the previous parts?
And how is the mysterious part of the book?
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That sounds really interesting. I love the humor. I think it's also interesting that there are interior decorating tips at the end of the chapter. And who couldn't love a character like Louise the (male) cat! :) Thanks for the review. This one is going on my list!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

Zero wrote:If its humorous then I'll definitely read it. Thanks for the review.
BTW as its a sequel, do I need to read the previous parts?
And how is the mysterious part of the book?
Although the book is not the first in the series, I found that it was still both enjoyable and understandable without reading any previous book. The mystery keeps things interesting, but it won't give anyone nightmares. Think of it on the level of a cozy mystery.
Zero
Currently Reading: Wings of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Zero »

L_Therese wrote: Although the book is not the first in the series, I found that it was still both enjoyable and understandable without reading any previous book. The mystery keeps things interesting, but it won't give anyone nightmares. Think of it on the level of a cozy mystery.
Ohk! I get it. So it would be fun even if I didn't read the previous parts. And the mystery is of the level of Scooby Doo right? Thanks for answering!
Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. -Albert Einstein
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

It's very rare to read a mystery novel that's actually humorous. Usually they have such a serious tone to them. I like that this one is entertaining and quirky.

Great Review! :D
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Very insightful review. I have a sister called flower in Spanish (Flor) so I take flower killing very serious.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This sounds like a really funny and well written story that I would enjoy. :D It's clear that you really enjoyed it. Great review!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Sounds like an interesting book to read. I will put it in my bookshelf. Thank you for the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great, insightful review! I considered selecting this book for review a few months ago, and now I am sorry I didn't. It sounds a fun, light read.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
nebula nation
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nebula nation »

i found it to be interesting in some parts ,it wasn't the kind of story that is a cliche and the readers automatically know whats going to happen every second it was like a magnet at some time making me refuse to put it down until i finish read a certain part . i like how the romance n law went together ,it was very nice .
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review! It is really full of mystery.

“The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science.”
― Albert Einstein, The World As I See It
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
josjos
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by josjos »

at first was like okay no for this but later on realize that its a good n funny to read
allan orato
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by allan orato »

Good read,creativity at its' best!
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This book sounds fantastic! I love humorous mysteries. I think I'll have to read the first few in the series before I try out this one, though. Great review!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”