Finding a little bit of the Author in their Work

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Finding a little bit of the Author in their Work

Post by Scerakor »

An author writes what they know. Sometimes, this very fact lends itself so well to the work that it becomes more and more real. In this book, you can see that Emily St. John Mandell has an easy handle on three different physical locations: and island in BC, Toronto, and New York. A little bit of research here shows that this is in fact due to some of the main places that she has lived. Similarly, some of the topics she uses (theatre, music, etc) are equally relevant.

I love seeing examples of how a bit of the author comes out in their books, whether intentionally or not. Hemmingway was an alcoholic, most characters in his books drink a lot; George R.R. Martin's descriptions of feasts lead me to believe that he is an individual that likes his food; and the list goes on.

What are your favourite examples of authors leaving a little bit of themselves in their works? What do you think would come out about yourself if you wrote a book (or if you already have)?
Aimy
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aimy.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Aimy »

It's true writings do tell about their authors. It's either personal experience that is reflected in the stories or a thorough research.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Rebeccaej
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 815">Imago (Xenogenesis Series #3)</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccaej.html
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy

Post by Rebeccaej »

Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman, has a subplot with a character who sings quite well, but has horrible stage fright. It doesn't end with him learning to be less afraid. He learns how to be terrified and do it anyway.

It's a lot more touching when you learn that Gaiman, for all that he travels the world giving public readings and speeches, still has so much performance anxiety he sometimes vomits before he goes onstage. That whole subplot was about himself.

For myself--I can't help but notice how many of my characters have autistic traits, and how often they talk to plants or objects, due to not having enough meaningful contact with other people.
Latest Review: "The Reich Device" by Richard D. Handy
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Rebeccaej wrote:Anansi Boys, by Neil Gaiman, has a subplot with a character who sings quite well, but has horrible stage fright. It doesn't end with him learning to be less afraid. He learns how to be terrified and do it anyway.

It's a lot more touching when you learn that Gaiman, for all that he travels the world giving public readings and speeches, still has so much performance anxiety he sometimes vomits before he goes onstage. That whole subplot was about himself
Great example. You just reminded me of another similar example. Slaughterhouse V means so much more Knowing that Vonnegut was actually in the Dresden bombings of WWII.
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

If will write a book, it will narrate the places of my exposure, the challenges I faced when I was growing and the challenges I experienced as I finish my formal education. I love authors who perfectly describe their past because this helps me live with the great people in the past.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

When I write I do it with absolute freedom, yet in life I am far more quiet and haven't got a very dominant personality and tend to like putting smiles on others faces. So I give my characters a strength I would love to have, physically and emotionally and personality. So maybe I am giving them the person I want to be myself...

In books I have found Laurell K Hamilton, who writes dark urban fantasy erotica/horror often states she allows her characters to have and love multiple partners because in her real life she and her husband...um share?...with two of their best friends. The four of them love and trust each other. There is a name for it, I just can't remember it.

I think many writers add a little piece of themselves to the characters they create but I also think they add a piece, maybe, of who they would like to be also.

-- 27 Mar 2017, 04:09 --

Ah found it! Polyamory it is typically the practice of, or desire for, intimate relationships where individuals may have more than one partner, with the knowledge and consent of all partners

And so she gives her main character Anita this belief also....
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've come to realize that Dr. Seuss affects my childrens stories because I sometimes find myself writing short rhymes like him or making up words. I usually leave my rhymes alone but if I catch myself making up words, I rewrite the that part of the story immediately.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I think one of the best things about reading books is that you get to experience a drop of what the author feels, has experienced and is sharing.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I read a little about Anthony Doerr, the author of All the Light We Cannot See, after reading the book. I can see how he included a bit of himself in the book. The author likes doing puzzles as a hobby and the main character's father gives her little treats inside little puzzle-style boxes or containers. It's a fun thing as she has to figure out how to get to the treat inside. The other main character in the story likes tinkering mechanically and teaches himself to fix radios and other electronics. The author's mother was a science teacher and encouraged him to tinker with things.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

This definitely happens when authors create characters, and the most real characters have a shred of the author in them.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Most writers do put themselves in their works.

Someone already mentioned that LKH puts polyamory in her Anita Blake books; she was with her first husband and they started having problems as her novels grew darker. Now she is with her second husband and they, like her characters, practice polyamory.

I don't know if you'd count this, but Stephen King has written his stories based on his own personal fears, so that's a case where who the author is leads to inspiration.
hailvilla18
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailvilla18.html
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley

Post by hailvilla18 »

One of the literary approaches is biographical approach. The author writes his or her own experience or events he witnessed in his surrounding. I appreciate works that use this approach. It is very realistic and I learn a lot from someone else's experience.
Latest Review: "Loving Marie" by Dawn Reno Langley
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

The first authors that spring to mind would be Michael Gear and Kathleen O'Neal Gear, whose archaeology and anthropology expertise led to their First North Americans series - I can't put these books down.
If I had to write anything I would sublimate on purpose, but definitely, I'd bring in art and art history in some way.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

James Craft wrote:This definitely happens when authors create characters, and the most real characters have a shred of the author in them.
I agree. They can describe emotions and experiences better when they've felt it themselves.
Books_are_Life
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-are-life.html
Latest Review: The Gryphon by Paula Grover
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Books_are_Life »

This is so true in every book you can find the author. If I wrote a book what would come into play is living with extreme amount of pain or the wheelchair or even both.

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”