What feelings did it leave you with? *spoilers*

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

What feelings did it leave you with? *spoilers*

Post by Gravy »

Though I will do my best not to spoil anything, there is a chance for spoilers.

I had a strange feeling of hope when I finished this book, and I wondered if anyone else had the same thing, or perhaps other feelings about it?
So what feeling did it leave you with?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Definitely a feeling of hope. What I read into it was that one group of survivors were able to work together to get things up and running at least enough to have electricity. It gives hope that they will be able to get some modern inventions back online to make life easier.
Lulubelle
Currently Reading: The Moth Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Lulubelle »

An awareness that I have no survival skills and would be useless in such a situation.
Shelle
Currently Reading: For the Love
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelle.html
Latest Review: A Positive Thought a Day Keeps the Negative Away by Dr. Curtis E. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Shelle »

Lulubelle wrote:An awareness that I have no survival skills and would be useless in such a situation.
I was thinking about that too. What skills and experiences do I have that would be helpful? How would I contribute? How could I be used in such a situation?

I also had a feeling of hope at the end. From the distant city with lights, to Javeen's contentment in his new life, it was all very hopeful.
A book is a gift you can open again and again.
-Garrison Keillor
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I was glad to see that at the end of the story some aspects of "civilization" were starting to resurface. Others have commented about survival skills or the lack there of. It is interesting to think how as modern society and technology has arisen, the skills that our forefathers depended on for their survival have ultimately been lost by many people of modern society. Whether it be growing food, making clothes, hunting and gathering, building shelters, making soap, preserving meat, etc - these abilities allowed the pioneers and early settlers to be able to survive. Many of us probably would not have made it. Doomsday preppers may have a point. I was also hopeful that things were going to get better. Overall, this was an intriguing read that made you think.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Much of the book's premise was on technology and how everything as they know it has been lost. Yes, hope is a good way of putting it. Much post-apocalyptic literature has no issues with leaving the reader lost and depressed on the state of the world but this book, with respect to the ending, tries to show us that human beings as a race will persevere and try to re-build no matter what; they may even succeed!
CarrieMe
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrieme.html
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane

Post by CarrieMe »

Yes, I had that same hopeful feeling at the end. I really appreciated that about this book, because feeling hopeless the whole book is one reason I end up disliking a lot of post-apocalyptic novels.
Latest Review: "Away From The Sun" by Rebecca brisbane
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

I felt some hope as well with the city that appeared to have electricity again and Jeevan's new life. It was hopeful in general that some people were just able to survive and there was still a lot of good left in the world. A common theme that I noticed was that the end was not the end. Death was "waking up from a dream" and the "end of the world" actually was not the end of the world.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Shelle wrote:
Lulubelle wrote:An awareness that I have no survival skills and would be useless in such a situation.
I was thinking about that too. What skills and experiences do I have that would be helpful? How would I contribute? How could I be used in such a situation?

I also had a feeling of hope at the end. From the distant city with lights, to Javeen's contentment in his new life, it was all very hopeful.
I agree on both accounts. Honestly, I don't know what skills I have that would be helpful in a situation like this. Who knows, perhaps natural instinct would take over.

A feeling a hope was also with me at the end.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
jhollan2
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhollan2.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by jhollan2 »

The ending was definitely hopeful all around. I wanted more, which is always an indication for me that the book well and truly sucked me in.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Yes, definitely hope was the feeling that was felt in the end of the book. I was reminded of the saying "Where there is hope, there is life". I also believe since human beings once achieved so much through research and development, they can do it again.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
matildajay
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Currently Reading: The Tender Bar
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matildajay.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by matildajay »

I agree, the last few pages left me with a feeling of hope. Really uplifting with the book finishing in a tangible and metaphorical sense of lights coming back on. At the same time I felt a little empty, I guess I was expecting more of a climactic finish regarding the cult. Although at the end of the day, I don't believe a more drastic finish was necessary and the feeling of hope was a well placed end.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." - C.S. Lewis
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

I felt hopeful that society had a chance to survive. The ending actually left me wishing for more.
KAV
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kav.html
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk

Post by KAV »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:I was glad to see that at the end of the story some aspects of "civilization" were starting to resurface. Others have commented about survival skills or the lack there of. It is interesting to think how as modern society and technology has arisen, the skills that our forefathers depended on for their survival have ultimately been lost by many people of modern society. Whether it be growing food, making clothes, hunting and gathering, building shelters, making soap, preserving meat, etc - these abilities allowed the pioneers and early settlers to be able to survive. Many of us probably would not have made it. Doomsday preppers may have a point. I was also hopeful that things were going to get better. Overall, this was an intriguing read that made you think.
Like everyone else, I felt hopeful at the end of the book, even though most of the book was depressing. It really made me think about all the things that would be lost. Think about all the information on the Internet. Almost everything can be looked up to make sure we are doing it correctly.
Latest Review: "Angelica" by Clabe Polk
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I felt hopeful. I think the book gives us a message that hope never dies.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”