Favorite/Least Favorite Character?

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite/Least Favorite Character?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Who would you say was your favorite character in Station Eleven? Who was your least favorite? And most importantly, why?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

Besides the prophet, for obvious reasons, my least favorite character was Arthur. I just never connected with him and ultimately didn't care about his life. The chapters written from his point of view were my least favorite of the whole book.

Favorite character is tough for me because I didn't really have one. I think the rest of them were fine, but that's about it. I liked Kirsten but I wasn't particularly drawn to her. If I had to pick I would say maybe Jeevan.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Arthur, his second wife, and Tyler... Didn't like any of them.

I actually think Clark was my favorite.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Lulubelle
Currently Reading: The Moth Diaries
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Lulubelle »

I liked the Arthur storyline very much, and he was the point of connection between many of the others. But my favourite was Miranda, and I wish there had been more of her artwork at the end of the book.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

The character I liked the most would have to be Kristen. She was strong and tied together the post-Georgia flu era with the time before. I enjoyed how so many of the characters were linked through Arthur's story line. My least favorite character would have to be the prophet. I felt for him once I realized it was Tyler but that didn't excuse his ruthlessness. Miranda was another character that stood out for me. Her comic book vision was interesting and the descriptiveness provided by the author made her vision come to life. Overall, the members of the Traveling Symphony as a whole were an eclectic group and Clark and his museum were an interesting twist to the story.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:The character I liked the most would have to be Kristen. She was strong and tied together the post-Georgia flu era with the time before. I enjoyed how so many of the characters were linked through Arthur's story line. My least favorite character would have to be the prophet. I felt for him once I realized it was Tyler but that didn't excuse his ruthlessness. Miranda was another character that stood out for me. Her comic book vision was interesting and the descriptiveness provided by the author made her vision come to life. Overall, the members of the Traveling Symphony as a whole were an eclectic group and Clark and his museum were an interesting twist to the story.
Exactly how I feel :)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:The character I liked the most would have to be Kristen. She was strong and tied together the post-Georgia flu era with the time before. I enjoyed how so many of the characters were linked through Arthur's story line. My least favorite character would have to be the prophet. I felt for him once I realized it was Tyler but that didn't excuse his ruthlessness. Miranda was another character that stood out for me. Her comic book vision was interesting and the descriptiveness provided by the author made her vision come to life. Overall, the members of the Traveling Symphony as a whole were an eclectic group and Clark and his museum were an interesting twist to the story.
I couldn't have said it better myself! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Of course the prophet was my least favorite character. However, I didn't feel much of a connection to Arthur, even though he was the common thread tying most characters together. I actually enjoyed the storylines of Clark and Miranda the most. Kirsten was a strong, influential woman, but I felt I never really knew her and the circumstances that shaped her.
peprica21
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peprica21.html
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen

Post by peprica21 »

Arthur was my least favorite character. I felt the chapters from his side were boring and I thought he was a very selfish man. My favorite is Clark! His story was relatable and his emotions going through the Georgia Flu and the collapse were very raw. He just had such a genuine personality I couldn't help but enjoy.
Latest Review: "The Bone Whisperer" by D.S. Allen
Peterpanreads
Bookshelf Size: 276
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterpanreads.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Peterpanreads »

I really like the character of Arthur. He is flawed, just like any human being, but his good side was also portrayed in the story. I also like the character of Jeevan! The chapters where they are featured are always my favorite while reading the book.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
olaiya oluwafemi
Currently Reading: In the shadow of Angels
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaiya-oluwafemi.html

Post by olaiya oluwafemi »

I like Arthur for his role displayed in the novel. Without him we can not see the importance of others. My least favorite character is the prophet.
MagicToDo930
Currently Reading: The Witchfinder's Sister
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magictodo930.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MagicToDo930 »

It is hard for me to pick a favorite because I quickly lost interest in the book, mostly due to how the book was written, especially the characters. If anything, I think the only one I did like was Miranda. As for my least favorites, that was definitely Arthur, Elizabeth, and Tyler. I could not stand them at all.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Anjum
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjum.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by Anjum »

I like Kristen. She is very determined, and patience in the most difficult situations.
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Arthur's display of selfishness at such a crucial time makes him the disliked one for me.
For my favourite character, Clark is the guy.

Return to “Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel”