Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Book of the Month » Book of the month » Discuss "Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Overall Rating of "Station Eleven"

Discuss the March 2017 Book of the Month, Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel.

Re: Overall Rating of "Station Eleven"

Post Number:#16 by MsMartha
» 12 Mar 2017, 09:16

I'm really enjoying these ratings. Readers are making interesting comments, and a lot of us really like this book--how about 4 out of 4 stars for the ratings?
MsMartha

Currently Reading: The Round House
Bookshelf Size: 89 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 36%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Post Number:#17 by Momlovesbooks
» 14 Mar 2017, 07:33

I'm just now reading this one. I've been looking forward to it for awhile now. I've seen a few comments about how it didn't quite meet certain expectations. The storyline still seems interesting, so I'm hoping I'll enjoy it. I'll be posting later when I've finished reading.
Momlovesbooks's Latest Review: "Deacon's Winter" by Roger Burgraff
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 205 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#18 by Scerakor
» 14 Mar 2017, 10:37

I found that Station-Eleven was one of the few "post-apocalyptic" (and I use the words in quotes here as most of the book does in fact deal with before the apocalypse) which is borderline pure literary fiction as well. It was well done and did keep me thinking/reading the whole way, but unfortunately for me the only downside is that the story really didn't go anywhere. Between page one and the last page, very little happened in the post-apocalypse storyline. That being said, I absolutely loved the dancing story lines and character paths who eventually converged at the very end.
Scerakor's Latest Review: "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 51%

Post Number:#19 by gali
» 15 Mar 2017, 23:35

I started it this week and wasn't drawn in. It started well enough, but then began to lose steam. It just didn't interest me enough to want to finish it, and I had to force myself reading it. I didn't enjoy the book, so decided to quit it.
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
gali's Latest Review: "Enough Rope" by P.L. Doss
gali
Site Admin

Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Scarlet
Bookshelf Size: 1619 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 43%

Post Number:#20 by CatInTheHat
» 18 Mar 2017, 07:20

I'll go with three stars. Interesting characters but I feel like the overall plot isn't that different for the genre. I didn't find it that much different than other survival stories in similar settings. Can't really pin down exactly why I feel this way. Maybe after some time (just finished it last night), I'll have a better notion.
CatInTheHat's Latest Review: "The Persian Woman" by Thomas Booker
CatInTheHat

Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 385 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 25%

Post Number:#21 by greekgirl71
» 19 Mar 2017, 10:40

Was not a fan of this book. It was very hard to get involved in. I think the final five chapters was when I started enjoying it. I am a big fan of dystopia fiction and felt like this was a let down.
greekgirl71

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 6 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#22 by dbrooks8109
» 21 Mar 2017, 22:38

I liked this book but I felt underwhelmed at times, especially at the end. I feel like it took me a while to finish it because I kept getting distracted by other things and it didn't hold my attention at the end. It had a really interesting story line though and I would be interested in reading more by this author.
dbrooks8109's Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
dbrooks8109

Currently Reading: The Buried Pyramid
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 76%

Post Number:#23 by kio
» 22 Mar 2017, 15:56

I rated it a 3. It was imaginative and I liked the characters enough, but couldn't really get into it.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
kio
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: Evermore
Currently Reading: Bone Gap
Bookshelf Size: 538 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab Nook Edition

Post Number:#24 by Kitkat3
» 24 Mar 2017, 02:30

I rated it 4 stars. I think it was well written. It was not at all what I was expecting when I first started reading. That was one of my favorite things about it; it was not the stereotypical post-apocalyptic novel. Station Eleven's points about life and its purpose and beauty really rung true with me. However, I finished it with almost a sense of disappointment. I don't know if it was because I was expecting something else or just because it caused mixed emotions for me. I will recommend it, but I will certainly let people know that it is a heavy read. I also didn't like how I could see what was happening in parts. I liked how it all came together, but it seemed a little too predictable. I like how she describes Miranda looking out the window and watching the guy in the red shirt while she talks to Arthur after he has lost his mother. Mandel reminds me of Hemingway in how she describes the way her characters are feeling without spelling it out. The resolution of the book also reminds me of Hemingway. I personally don't like his works, but I appreciate him as a writer and can see the beauty in his writing style. She has accomplished a completely different type of novel with an intriguing story, well developed characters, and an artfully depicted world. I would say that in many ways this book was successful.
Kitkat3

Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 134 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 28%

Post Number:#25 by jhollan2
» 24 Mar 2017, 21:28

I loved this book! The way everything was all woven together past to present was so interesting and the writing was truely beautiful. Like The Walking Dead, what interested me most was that other people are both the best and the worst things out there.
jhollan2

Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Favorite Book: Too many to list...
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#26 by hsimone
» 25 Mar 2017, 04:08

gali wrote:I started it this week and wasn't drawn in. It started well enough, but then began to lose steam. It just didn't interest me enough to want to finish it, and I had to force myself reading it. I didn't enjoy the book, so decided to quit it.

It's interesting that you say this because I had read the book a while ago (2-3 years ago?), and I remember kind of enjoying it, but not loving the story. Nonetheless, I was willing to revisit for this month's discussion, but every time I tried to read a couple of pages, I felt like I was back in high school reading a required book that didn't interest me. After a few attempts in this fashion, I decided to not give it a re-read and move on to something more appealing to me.
"Love is patient, love is kind." -1 Corinthians 13:4
hsimone's Latest Review: "Forever King" by Diana Sims
Publishing Contest ~ 27 Votes ~ View hsimone's Entry
hsimone
Lilimaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Currently Reading: I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant
Bookshelf Size: 383 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 140 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#27 by bookowlie
» 27 Mar 2017, 11:58

hsimone wrote:
gali wrote:I started it this week and wasn't drawn in. It started well enough, but then began to lose steam. It just didn't interest me enough to want to finish it, and I had to force myself reading it. I didn't enjoy the book, so decided to quit it.

It's interesting that you say this because I had read the book a while ago (2-3 years ago?), and I remember kind of enjoying it, but not loving the story. Nonetheless, I was willing to revisit for this month's discussion, but every time I tried to read a couple of pages, I felt like I was back in high school reading a required book that didn't interest me. After a few attempts in this fashion, I decided to not give it a re-read and move on to something more appealing to me.

I have to agree with both of you. I am finding it a struggle to get through as if it was a required read for school. Still, I am sticking with it because I want to find out what happens. The fact that many people hear liked it a lot makes me think it will get better as the story progesses.
As you slide down the bannister of life, may the splinters never point in the wrong direction. - Irish blessing
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader

Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 42%

Post Number:#28 by Momlovesbooks
» 28 Mar 2017, 07:03

I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It is character driven, without all the action of a typical apocalyptic novel. The characters have depth and are connected in unique ways. I liked the author's writing style. However, I did feel like the ending left me wanting to know more. I haven't read anything else by this author, but look forward to reading other books.
Momlovesbooks's Latest Review: "Deacon's Winter" by Roger Burgraff
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month

Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 205 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 40%

Post Number:#29 by Harsh99
» 30 Mar 2017, 02:02

I'm thinking about reading it. I've heard a lot of good things about it and have nothing to spend my Amazon gift cards on. Everybody's rating it 3 or 4, so I wonder how can everybody like it? It's really got me intrigued.
Harsh99's Latest Review: "The Guiri" by Josh Hannan
Harsh99

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#30 by Jessica Samuelsen
» 30 Mar 2017, 02:47

I haven't read this book yet. It's in the que.
Jessica Samuelsen

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11 books

View Reviewer Page

PreviousNext